News   Jul 19, 2024
 477     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 755     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Well, great. It seems TTC have figured out that if they pad their schedules a bit then they can reliably start their runs on schedule. That's a start. Nothing bugs me more than watching a pair of 511s bunched up within one block! of leaving Bathurst station. It happens a lot.

But mostly, who cares about schedules in Toronto? If the goal is to reduce gapping and bunching like Byford says, then why won't they measure headways, report headways, and manage headways? I don't get it.

But mostly, who cares about schedules in Toronto? If the goal is to reduce gapping and bunching like Byford says, then why won't they measure headways, report headways, and manage headways? I don't get it.
If they are leaving the one terminal on time, and arriving at the other terminal on time, then the headways tend to take care of themselves.

The real key was there wasn't enough travel time. By adding it, and adjusting the schedules to make them realistic, then they tend to leave the terminals more regularly (and of course making sure they do leave regularly ... the Dufferin bus was notorious .... you'd stand there at King knowing there were 4-5 buses sat at the loop, and they'd leave in one big pack, the first one running about 7-8minutes late, and the last one running about 4 minutes early).

Escalator Dangers: A case of when the worst happens - Philadelphia - November 1996

Meanwhile, an escalator ate a toddler's jacket at St. Clair West station: http://www.cp24.com/news/toddler-sh...ecoming-trapped-at-subway-escalator-1.2313897

JA, Duck and Everyone:

This escalator incident reminds me of a far worse example that occurred in Philadelphia on November 27, 1996
in which a 4 year old boy lost his right foot due to a defective escalator at the Cecil B. Moore (Columbia) Station
at Temple University on the SEPTA Broad Street Subway Line...

The boy's family filed a multimillion dollar lawsuit against SEPTA and it was discovered that they had tried to
cover up problems with their escalators along with their defense of because they were a public authority any
settlement would be limited to less then $250,000 dollars...

A report was prepared by a investigative panel concerning this incident:
Shareif D. Hall vs. SEPTA - April 27,2000
www.klinespecter.com/files/SEPTA_blue_ribbon_panel.pdf

www.rossfellercasey.com/news/51-million-verdict-for-boy-who-lost-foot-in-escalator

www.ksarticles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Hall-11.pdf

I was residing in the Philadelphia area back when this incident happened and recall how big a news story
that it was in the region and reading about the recent problem with a TTC escalator at the St. Clair West
Station it reminded me of this past escalator case from 18 years ago...

Thankfully the child in the TTC incident was unhurt but noting how badly the coat that the child was wearing
had gotten torn up there is no doubt that this could have been much worse...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
If they are leaving the one terminal on time, and arriving at the other terminal on time, then the headways tend to take care of themselves.

They still very rarely arrive on time with 504. Did you even look at the report you cited yourself? Why would you say that? :)

The real key was there wasn't enough travel time. By adding it, and adjusting the schedules to make them realistic, then they tend to leave the terminals more regularly (and of course making sure they do leave regularly ... the Dufferin bus was notorious .... you'd stand there at King knowing there were 4-5 buses sat at the loop, and they'd leave in one big pack, the first one running about 7-8minutes late, and the last one running about 4 minutes early).

Which is of course exactly what I said.

The presentation at the last TTC board meeting that this article is based on, is well worth look at. And gives one hope for some of the long-suffering poorly-served routes, such as 501 and 506 - http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...TTC_Modernization_Report_and_Presentation.pdf

Ha, the improved route management apparently saved this guy from retirement:

“I love what we are doing with the new St. Clair route management. I was going to retire, but I’m sticking around for more.” - Supervisor Dennis Peters #23057

Mr. Byford is the best thing to happen to the TTC in a long time.

Most definitely. And my favourite thing about him is that he continues to go out of his way in supporting a DRL. I remember one of the first times he spoke to the media about the TTC, he was adamant how important it is to have a new line paralleling Yonge and across downtown. And because he’s not a politician, people actually respect his opinion.

JA, Duck and Everyone:

This escalator incident reminds me of a far worse example that occurred in Philadelphia on November 27, 1996
in which a 4 year old boy lost his right foot due to a defective escalator at the Cecil B. Moore (Columbia) Station
at Temple University on the SEPTA Broad Street Subway Line...

The boy's family filed a multimillion dollar lawsuit against SEPTA and it was discovered that they had tried to
cover up problems with their escalators along with their defense of because they were a public authority any
settlement would be limited to less then $250,000 dollars...

A report was prepared by a investigative panel concerning this incident:
Shareif D. Hall vs. SEPTA - April 27,2000
www.klinespecter.com/files/SEPTA_blue_ribbon_panel.pdf

www.rossfellercasey.com/news/51-million-verdict-for-boy-who-lost-foot-in-escalator

www.ksarticles.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Hall-11.pdf

I was residing in the Philadelphia area back when this incident happened and recall how big a news story
that it was in the region and reading about the recent problem with a TTC escalator at the St. Clair West
Station it reminded me of this past escalator case from 18 years ago...

Thankfully the child in the TTC incident was unhurt but noting how badly the coat that the child was wearing
had gotten torn up there is no doubt that this could have been much worse...

LI MIKE
how unfortunate is the Philadelphia case.

There needs to be more safety measures for escalators. When used improperly, they can very well be rending machines.

They still very rarely arrive on time with 504. Did you even look at the report you cited yourself?
Of course I read the report. I don't see the need to be passive-aggressive about this. Why are you so unnecessarily rude?

I use 504 every day. Arrivals downtown work a lot better when there isn't 20-minute gaps of streetcars leaving Broadview station, and they leave every 2-3 minutes, rather than in bunches of 3.

Which is of course exactly what I said.
Clearly, you don't understand the definition of the word "exactly"! :)

Of course I read the report. I don't see the need to be passive-aggressive about this. Why are you so unnecessarily rude?

Why would you say that?

The words you call unnecessarily rude are simply quotations of words you have used countless times to badger and bully others.

I hope you no longer feel I'm being passive aggressive!

The words you call unnecessarily rude are simply quotations of words you have used countless times to badger and bully others.
Bull. Where have I ever said "did you even look at the report"?

I hope you no longer feel I'm being passive aggressive!
I think you are continuing to be a passive aggressive poster, who because they are factually wrong has chosen to make personal attacks.

CityLab put out a new article on ATO (and the various levels)

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2015/04/the-case-for-driverless-trains-by-the-numbers/390408/

30% staff savings if you automate the trains
70% staff savings if you automate trains and stations
42 trains per hour (1 train every 1.4 minutes)
4-6% more passenger room (no cab required)
99% headway regularity

10-15% Rate of Return (hard $ rate of return...not the soft stuff)

...totally see why the TTC Union doesn't want this but the benefits seem obvious. Not beholden to some antiquated union rules on switching operators mid-line, increased capacity, cost savings, etc.

London has partially turned on their ATO on the Northern Line. They are upgrading just like the TTC and decided that they should turn on part of the line even though the whole thing is not upgraded yet. (of course quicker than the TTC)

Is the YUS upgrades initially planning to be type 2, 3, or 4? Is it just the union that is holding back the highest level of automation?

CityLab put out a new article on ATO (and the various levels)

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2015/04/the-case-for-driverless-trains-by-the-numbers/390408/

30% staff savings if you automate the trains
70% staff savings if you automate trains and stations

This does NOT consider maintenance or technical staff, both of which increase with automation.

As a tech who specialized in big-data before it was called big-data, I'm strongly in favour of any automation with long-term and large scale records for improving automation efficiency.

As a concerned Toronto resident, this report is appears to ignore many costs for implementing full automation on the TTCs system (platform doors for example).

Back