News   Jul 15, 2024
 75     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

[video=youtube;WP49EOeN8_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP49EOeN8_o#t=47[/video]

Andy Byford and Brad Ross take us on a tour of "Bay Lower"* and of how construction is progressing on our new Queen Subway line :rolleyes:

*(erm... Lower Bay is what I've heard everyone call it :confused:)

Last edited:
Hmm I never knew about the abandoned entrance at Queen.. I bet there will be a duplicate of that at Dundas soon with the Atrium expansion, albeit a smaller one, if it isn't completely filled. (Probably just the staircase itself)

What about the streetcar platform staircases at the old Bloor station transfer platforms at Yonge, before the 2 Bloor-Danforth subway?

s0381_fl0321_id13171-15.jpg

s0381_fl0321_id13171-18.jpg

s0381_fl0291_id11718-2.jpg

Last edited:
Too bad there isn't a transfer platform at King, Queen or College to connect the streetcars and the subways so you don't need a paper transfer.

I came across this Chicago BRT project and I found it pretty interesting:
http://www.theatlanticcities.com/commute/2014/02/chicagos-big-bet-bus/8499/

largest.jpg

It seems to be very similar to the Transit City surface LRTs being in the middle of the road, except of course with buses instead of light rail vehicles, and with the stations in the middle instead of outside.

To me, it seems to be essentially the same thing as a surface LRT, except that I guess each vehicle has much less capacity.

Custom vehicles too, since they need buses with doors on the left for centre platforms.

Custom vehicles too, since they need buses with doors on the left for centre platforms.

They could be duel side doors like it was done for the Cleveland BRT. There will be less seats than the standard bus. Most likely artic's buses.

BRT have yet fully fill ridership numbers in NA compare to LRT lines. The poor boy as upfront cost are only been looked at.

On most BRT systems of that type (the South American style BRT), they usually have the main doors on the left at platform level, and one regular door on the front right at curb level, for the driver, and in case people have to get off in-between stops (if the route or station got blocked or the bus breaks down or whatever). Buses can also be cheaper and have slightly higher capacity, because they are high-floor.

Why? Don't they have busses with left side doors for places that drive on the left side of the road.

Not in NA. Only a few NA transit systems have left side doors, but most have doors on both sides.

Only a few places in the world have doors on the left side and that because they drive in the opposite hand road lanes compare to most of the world.

UK, Australia are the first that to come to mind driving on the left compare to the right and there are other places.

Cleveland BRT in Mississauga June 25-2008 with doors on both sides
2612567612_39658732fd_b.jpg

Back