News   May 03, 2024
 433     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 293     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 161     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

So power-washing (presumbably due to a chemical w/in the liquid) tints the grout red?); aside from schmearing new ground over the top, perhaps a sealant?

Or the graffiti was red, and the power washing took it off of the glossy surfaced tile but couldn't remove it from the porous grout. (At least that was my assumption the moment I saw the picture.)

If that is a remotely accurate figure, that is a) STAGGERING and b) yet another very strong argument for not pointlessly renaming stations and renumbering routes for various misguided political and new urbanist notions.

But is there any instance ever of a rapid transit station anywhere in the world continuing to bear the name of a landmark even after it was renamed or removed? If the station was called Black Creek Village they'd be able to get away with it, but there is no getting around Pioneer Village. Hopefully this will be a lesson to be much smarter about choosing station names.
I linked earlier that several years ago it cost $700,000 just to reprogram the crappy 1990's voices on the train when downsview was renamed. Can't wait to give Alstom 3 million to change 3 station names

No service at Pape Station on Line 2 this weekend for Ontario Line work (from Twitter/X)
1000016289.jpg

So will trains leaving/entering the yard finally make their first/last stop at Donlands instead of Pape, at least for the duration of the closure?

I wonder what sort of work they'll be doing on the tunnel this weekend.

None? It looks like trains carrying passengers will still using that portion of track, just not stopping at the station. That leads me to believe the tunnel isn't impacted. The notice also says bus service and the station will not be impacted.

I guess that leaves the platform. So what work would allow trains to travel through carrying passengers but not allow passengers to use the platform? It's much too early to be punching holes for passenger flow to the new component.

Last edited:
None? It looks like trains carrying passengers will still using that portion of track, just not stopping at the station. That leads me to believe the tunnel isn't impacted. The notice also says bus service and the station will not be impacted.

I guess that leaves the platform. So what work would allow trains to travel through carrying passengers but not allow passengers to use the platform? It's much too early to be punching holes for passenger flow to the new component.
If they are digging anywhere else in the station complex, they may require pedestrian tunnel closures while they do the work.

If one can't get from the platform to the surface - or even from one platform to the other - what good is stopping at the platform?

Dan

I’m inclined to think they are preparing work sites and hoarding in the concourse and platform levels, such that fewer closures are needed during construction.

There is also early work to be done on the new vent shaft, which falls inside the existing station’s perimeter, as well as reinforced foundation in the north-most staircase entrance from the bus loop.

I said nothing of the sort.

You made the comment about ordering equipment that lasts longer. To last longer will require it to have weight added (stronger trucks, stronger traction motors, higher rated drive equipment, etc). If you make the trains heavier, you may also require all of the stuff around and underneath the trains to get strengthened to account for that.

Dan
Underneath the trains I get (i.e. the running rails, trackbed and to a lesser extent the 3rd rail), but why would the other infrastructure around the trains require strengthening, if the trains generally don't make contact with anything else besides the tracks & 3rd rail?

GG12.16 - Application for Approval to Expropriate 320-326 Bloor Street West for the Spadina Station Streetcar Platform Extension - Stage 1​

Consideration Type: ACTIONWard: 11 - University - Rosedale

Origin​

(April 17, 2024) Report from the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management

Recommendations​

The Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management recommends that:

1. City Council authorize the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, to continue negotiations to acquire the property interests set out in Appendix A (the "Property Requirements") and as illustrated in the draft reference plan set out in Appendix B, and City Council authorize the initiation of expropriation proceedings for the Property Requirements, for the purpose of extending the platform at Spadina Station in order to accommodate two streetcar vehicles as part of the Line 2 Capacity Enhancement Program (the “Project”), if the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, deems it necessary or appropriate to proceed in that manner.

2. City Council grant authority to serve and publish the Notices of Application for Approval to Expropriate Land for the Property Requirements, to forward to the Ontario Land Tribunal any requests for hearings that are received, to attend the hearing(s) to present the City's position, and to report the Ontario Land Tribunal's recommendations to City Council for its consideration.

Summary​

GG12.16 - Application for Approval to Expropriate 320-326 Bloor Street West for the Spadina Station Streetcar Platform Extension - Stage 1​

Consideration Type: ACTIONWard: 11 - University - Rosedale

Origin​

(April 17, 2024) Report from the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management

Recommendations​

The Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management recommends that:

1. City Council authorize the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, to continue negotiations to acquire the property interests set out in Appendix A (the "Property Requirements") and as illustrated in the draft reference plan set out in Appendix B, and City Council authorize the initiation of expropriation proceedings for the Property Requirements, for the purpose of extending the platform at Spadina Station in order to accommodate two streetcar vehicles as part of the Line 2 Capacity Enhancement Program (the “Project”), if the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, deems it necessary or appropriate to proceed in that manner.

2. City Council grant authority to serve and publish the Notices of Application for Approval to Expropriate Land for the Property Requirements, to forward to the Ontario Land Tribunal any requests for hearings that are received, to attend the hearing(s) to present the City's position, and to report the Ontario Land Tribunal's recommendations to City Council for its consideration.

Summary​

Sensible to put it here too; ;)

I posted it in the applicable development thread earlier.

Back