News   May 31, 2024
 941     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.3K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Jan 14
Could find a place to part to shoot the south of Russell, but I don't think trackwork had yet to get there

One thing I noticed doing the photos, doesn't look like they have made no provisions for the carhouse extension on the west side
53469262264_f8c135a1ba_b.jpg

53469363840_7e91a04efd_b.jpg

53468945076_9e60342232_b.jpg

53469262189_c5141cc95a_b.jpg

53469262184_9a706c8531_b.jpg

53469363790_2eae57b1e3_b.jpg

53468944851_546cba98ac_b.jpg

Jan 14
Could find a place to part to shoot the south of Russell, but I don't think trackwork had yet to get there

One thing I noticed doing the photos, doesn't look like they have made no provisions for the carhouse extension on the west side
53469262264_f8c135a1ba_b.jpg

53469363840_7e91a04efd_b.jpg

53468945076_9e60342232_b.jpg

53469262189_c5141cc95a_b.jpg

53469262184_9a706c8531_b.jpg

53469363790_2eae57b1e3_b.jpg

53468944851_546cba98ac_b.jpg
The changes to and expansion of the carhouse is to follow after 2025. This on the TTC site: https://www.ttc.ca/about-the-ttc/projects-and-plans/Russell-Carhouse

Next steps:

• Carhouse extension and modifications (start date: as early as 2025 – 2028, TBD*):
  • Construct the west extension of the carhouse to allow for an additional maintenance bay for new streetcars.
  • Upgrade the existing carhouse building to accommodate new streetcars.
  • Reconfigure maintenance tracks and pits in the carhouse for maintenance.

The changes to and expansion of the carhouse is to follow after 2025. This on the TTC site: https://www.ttc.ca/about-the-ttc/projects-and-plans/Russell-Carhouse

Next steps:

• Carhouse extension and modifications (start date: as early as 2025 – 2028, TBD*):
  • Construct the west extension of the carhouse to allow for an additional maintenance bay for new streetcars.
  • Upgrade the existing carhouse building to accommodate new streetcars.
  • Reconfigure maintenance tracks and pits in the carhouse for maintenance.
I know of the plan for the extension, but if you look at the photo showing the 2 tracks being installed in the same location as they were before along with the poles, where do you place the west wall without removing the poles?? You can do the same thing as the west side of the yard and use the structural columns of the carhouse to support the overhead.

What happens to that 2nd track as it leaves little space to work on the cars unless it strictly has for working on the overhead of the cars which still leaves access to it with limited space.

The TTC's presentation to budget Committee went live today on the City's website:

Most of it is stuff we already know, but I liked this slide, which I don't recall previously seeing:

View attachment 533736

This one is also useful, I think:

View attachment 533740
If I am reading this right, there is no funding for a new yard for Line 2 as well the new Kipling garage unless it lump into the 2029-2033 cost for Key Buildings

If I am reading this right, there is no funding for a new yard for Line 2 as well the new Kipling garage unless it lump into the 2029-2033 cost for Key Buildings

It is not listed in the 10-year Capital Plan.

It is listed in the 15 year plan and is unfunded:

1705517022051.png

The top line in the below is also on point:

1705517208856.png

Last edited:
Just looking at the budget, it's astonishing how screwed up John Tory left the city and how and approved but unfunded list grew so long to the point that it even after 2 decades the city still wont come anywhere close to fully funding a huge part of it.

But yet there are people living in the city that seem to think that there's still a magical "gravy train".

So....is there any plan to stop doing this? Or must we tolerate a loss of 10+* passenger spaces per train for the rest of the T1 lifespan, long may it be?

* possibly more, depending on whether the Greenwood yard workers bother taking down the barriers in the non leading cars. They seem to do that now, they didn't for much of the last year

IMG_5484.jpeg

So....is there any plan to stop doing this? Or must we tolerate a loss of 10+* passenger spaces per train for the rest of the T1 lifespan, long may it be?

* possibly more, depending on whether the Greenwood yard workers bother taking down the barriers in the non leading cars. They seem to do that now, they didn't for much of the last year

View attachment 533833
I can see it one sense when controlling the doors at one end, but not both ends at the same time.

It boils down to what the Union has to say protecting their members to the on going COVID mess as not everyone has had any shots nor are up to date on them. What every the latest shot out there that I am to get, I have got it.

Bottom line, time for them to disappear as it not only lose space and seating, but prevents kids from looking out the rail fan window. I will be in that rail fan seat if it is open when I get on the end car, but not on every trip..

Just looking at the budget, it's astonishing how screwed up John Tory left the city and how and approved but unfunded list grew so long to the point that it even after 2 decades the city still wont come anywhere close to fully funding a huge part of it.

But yet there are people living in the city that seem to think that there's still a magical "gravy train".
It goes back a lot further than John Tory, but he pay a big part in the backlog. It goes back to the 1980's recession, the Mike Harris downloading as well an council who were non transit supporters.

Asked an residents to list their top 10 major items they want to see where the city is to put their taxes to, it will be a messy. Ask those same residents what they want to see cut to maintain an 3 percent tax increase yearly, it will be a blood bath of things falling apart to disappearing. Transit will not be on any of those list.

Even asking the residents of Ontario those same questions, transit will not make the list and more so for areas that don't have transit at all which is understandable.

Its the Peter to pay Paul as to what sees money and how much to the point what should see more money will see less

View attachment 533833
No, this will not be changing.

Dan

View attachment 533833
I bet they would wall it off with plexiglass if violence gets worst in the subway or if an employee gets attacked more often.

Reactions: JBR
I bet they would wall it off with plexiglass if violence gets worst in the subway or if an employee gets attacked more often.
Plexiglass would actually do something, unlike this garbage. Anyone who actually believes this does anything at all to protect the employees is delusional. So of course it comes as no surprise that the worse than useless TTC management has chosen this particular course of action.

All they needed to do was put up plexiglass that would be flush with the cab door when it is locked open, and it would thus become, effectively, a full width cab. There is zero reason to block off the second row of seats too.

Plexiglass would actually do something, unlike this garbage. Anyone who actually believes this does anything at all to protect the employees is delusional. So of course it comes as no surprise that the worse than useless TTC management has chosen this particular course of action.

All they needed to do was put up plexiglass that would be flush with the cab door when it is locked open, and it would thus become, effectively, a full width cab. There is zero reason to block off the second row of seats too.
It wasn't the Commission or management that proposed this. And in fact, the Commission has tried to do away with it.

Dan

It wasn't the Commission or management that proposed this. And in fact, the Commission has tried to do away with it.

Dan

I can sort of see why the Union would want to put up barriers between the operator and passengers.

With the increase in the numbers of mentally ill and homeless using the system as a shelter it is no surprise that the Union would want to separate people. They likely want to protect their members from a homeless person strung out on drugs (or with hygiene issues) coming into contact with the operator.

If nothing else, separate passengers and staff may help fend off any unsafe work refusals.

• Haha
Reactions: T3G

Back