News   Jul 16, 2024
 431     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 539     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Nonetheless, it seems to be spreading. It's standard in Seoul and Tokyo, and much of the Paris Metro is also now covered. One would think it's in the interest of the phone carriers, given the amount of extra use they could capture, but perhaps not.

The first question one should ask the commissioners is - did they ride the TTC consistently, and did they do so today? Competence and knowledge of the system starts at the top. Don't ride it? Shouldn't make decisions about it.

AoD

Does riding the subway from Bloor to Queen every day mean you know the system? Chances are any commissioner using the TTC, even consistently or daily, uses less than 0.1% of it. That may make someone's opinions more biased and make them less likely to bother to become informed, than someone who never uses it and has to look at the broad picture.

Last edited:
That seems unlikely... a person who actually uses the TTC has at least some knowledge about the system, whereas someone who never uses it has no knowledge at all. I don't think we can assume any one random person is more biased than the other.

Putting cell signal transmitters in subway tunnels must be very expensive.

Not really. The TTC thought it would be a good idea to make this a revenue source and the highest bidder won. (forbid creating a service which people enjoy)

The Telco's have all decided they would not pay the fees the winner wants from them.

Now if the TTC forced the Telco's to create a cooperative which would provide services and give them space in the tunnel for a nominal fee ($1 a year) or giving free wifi I'm sure we would have had service already

Not really. The TTC thought it would be a good idea to make this a revenue source and the highest bidder won. (forbid creating a service which people enjoy)

The Telco's have all decided they would not pay the fees the winner wants from them.

Now if the TTC forced the Telco's to create a cooperative which would provide services and give them space in the tunnel for a nominal fee ($1 a year) or giving free wifi I'm sure we would have had service already

Thanks for explaining so concisely. I knew that the Telco's weren't playing ball, but I 'didn't know the reason why. They balked at paying a third party fees for it. The third party was charging high fees because the TTC wanted revenue for allowing them to provide a service that transit users wanted.

Thanks for explaining so concisely. I knew that the Telco's weren't playing ball, but I 'didn't know the reason why. They balked at paying a third party fees for it. The third party was charging high fees because the TTC wanted revenue for allowing them to provide a service that transit users wanted.

FYI, here is the TTC document:

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...upplementary_Reports/Wireless_Network_in_.pdf

But the good news is that the contract is set to expire shortly. Basically they had to reach an agreement with Bell and Rogers (or a combination of other cell providers) within 2 years. I'm not sure when it started but it should be ending shortly.

Hopefully they realize that getting cash should not be their highest priority here but to give customers a good quality of service. (versus squeezing $1.25M a year for 2 years and now they have to look at other alternatives)

But the good news is that the contract is set to expire shortly. Basically they had to reach an agreement with Bell and Rogers (or a combination of other cell providers) within 2 years. I'm not sure when it started but it should be ending shortly.
Given they recently started the rollout of the WiFi from 2 stations to 15 stations, I'd assume that they have gotten round that 2-year requirement somehow, and now they contract is in effect for the full 20 years into the 2030s. If they haven't gotten around it, then I wouldn't think they'd have just added 13 stations!

Given they recently started the rollout of the WiFi from 2 stations to 15 stations, I'd assume that they have gotten round that 2-year requirement somehow, and now they contract is in effect for the full 20 years into the 2030s. If they haven't gotten around it, then I wouldn't think they'd have just added 13 stations!

I find it hard to believe they expect $1.75M/year+ from that wifi advertisement to cover the TTCs rent ($25M for 20 years, is that all up-front? + $250k/year) and their own expenses.

Even if they got around the 60% restriction, they must have gotten someone to sign up to make a business case for the rollout.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe they expect $1.75M/year+ from that wifi advertisement to cover the TTCs rent ($25M for 20 years, is that all up-front? + $250k/year) and their own expenses.

Even if they got around the 60% restriction, they must have gotten someone to sign up to make a business case for the rollout.
I'd think that they expect that once they have enough infrastructure in place, and it's clear they got the full 20-year period, that one of the cell providers would fold. I'd think someone like Wind or another new startup, would find it a useful marketing tool.

Do we know what's going happen to the bike racks on the nova artics? Have they devised a fix to the driver visibility issue or will the TTC stop buying the nova busses now because of it?

I'd think that they expect that once they have enough infrastructure in place, and it's clear they got the full 20-year period, that one of the cell providers would fold. I'd think someone like Wind or another new startup, would find it a useful marketing tool.

Makes sense.

Do we know what's going happen to the bike racks on the nova artics? Have they devised a fix to the driver visibility issue or will the TTC stop buying the nova busses now because of it?

Not sure, but I think the most likely thing will be installing new racks. I asked a driver, and he said the racks YRT uses on Viva do not obstruct the view the same way.

Back