News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

So, funny thing about the RAD buses..... They are already perfectly capable of being tracked by the system. And lots of them are.

The system has the capability to allow the dispatchers to remotely allocate a RAD bus to the specific run, which brings up all of the scheduling and routing info on their screens, and puts them visible on the trackers. And this is almost always what is done with a RAD gets told to go cover a missing run on a route.

The issue is that many of the drivers don't like this.

Many of them will then log-out from the run they were given and log back in as a RAD. This removes all of that info from their screens, and allows them to think they have some semblance of anonymity. Some of them will play games, like sitting behind a regularly scheduled bus and try and avoid to pick up passengers - leaving a large gap in service behind them. The dispatchers can still see them on their screens, but they will no longer show up on as allocated to that route, nor will they show up on the trackers.

Dan
This is yet another example of the total uselessness of TTC "Management" - I am not in favour of discipline in most cases as it should be a last resort but I would have thought that Operators who log out of their assigned runs should be warned a couple of times and then disciplined. It is bad enough the the "Management" obviously does not care about service and 'customers' but it is far worse when those who are supposed to be the direct providers of it have the same idea and are allowed to carry on with no consequences.

This is yet another example of the total uselessness of TTC "Management" - I am not in favour of discipline in most cases as it should be a last resort but I would have thought that Operators who log out of their assigned runs should be warned a couple of times and then disciplined. It is bad enough the the "Management" obviously does not care about service and 'customers' but it is far worse when those who are supposed to be the direct providers of it have the same idea and are allowed to carry on with no consequences.

This is one of the reasons my father retired from the TTC in 2019 after 30 years.

When he started in 1988, Operators respected each other. They helped each other out and the supervisory staff held people to account.

Yes there were Operators who messed around but people dealt with it themselves.

The culture started to change in the late 90s as alot of older Operators retired and younger people came on.

In 2019, the supervisors were inexperienced and didn't care, the Operators were mostly rookies who looked out for themselves.

He gave up complaining about idiots screwing around with the line he was on because the supervisors didn't know what was going on. They just pawned it off.

The culture had changed dramatically and he decided to hang it up rather than deal with the nonsense.

This is one of the reasons my father retired from the TTC in 2019 after 30 years.

When he started in 1988, Operators respected each other. They helped each other out and the supervisory staff held people to account.

Yes there were Operators who messed around but people dealt with it themselves.

The culture started to change in the late 90s as alot of older Operators retired and younger people came on.

In 2019, the supervisors were inexperienced and didn't care, the Operators were mostly rookies who looked out for themselves.

He gave up complaining about idiots screwing around with the line he was on because the supervisors didn't know what was going on. They just pawned it off.

The culture had changed dramatically and he decided to hang it up rather than deal with the nonsense.
By "late 90s", you mean after Premier Mike Harris cut provincial funding of TTC operations, in 1995? By eliminating the province’s annual contribution to the TTC’s operational funding, which accounted for about 16 per cent of the overall budget, the TTC was forced to cut, cut, and cut.

The Star is out with a story looking into the allegations made against TTC CEO Rick Leary and the moves by Chair Myers to suspend him pending investigation of same.

I think two things are notable here.

The first is that Leary is apparently in the midst of a 5-year contract expiring in 2026, and the language in the contract would apparently entitle him to 2 full years salary as severance were he fired without cause. His current salary is ~$491,000 so a paying in the range of 1M would be required.

*** I will note here, this is not consistent with what I had heard in the past from insiders and I find that surprising.

The other item of note was the exodus of top TTC management talent under Rick's reign. This was widely known, virtually all of Byford's people are gone.

Last edited:
The Star is out with a story looking into the allegations made against TTC CEO Rick Leary and the moves by Chair Myers to suspend him pending investigation of same.

I think two things notable here.

The first is that Leary is apparently in the midst of a 5-year contract expiring in 2026, and the language in the contract would apparently entitle him to 2 full years salary as severance were he fired without cause. His current salary is ~$491,000 so a paying in the range of 1M would be required.

*** I will note here, this is not consistent with what I had heard in the past from insiders and I find that surprising.

The other item of note was the exodus of top TTC management talent under Rick's reign. This was widely known, virtually all of Byford's people are gone.
"Fire without cause"? I think the people that exodused could supply plenty of "cause"!

Those people have signed NDA's. As well, they are not willing to speak to avoid jeopardizing their current employment.

Just because something happened does not mean people are willing to risk their future.
Then have an "in-camera" meeting with the TTC board to discuss it. Since the NDA was within the TTC, having it "in-camera" should solve that little problem.

Then have an "in-camera" meeting with the TTC board to discuss it. Since the NDA was within the TTC, having it "in-camera" should solve that little problem.

Again... it is a NON-DISCLOSURE agreement. Once they leave the TTC they cannot speak about it under whatever penalty is specified even to the TTC unless that agreement is nullified.

Even if they could, badmouthing a former employer will not help them when seeking further employment elsewhere. Nobody wants to have a bad reputation or be known for something.

TTC and Toronto Raptors celebrate national story of Indigenous athletes with bus and streetcar wraps

November 13, 2023

The TTC and the Toronto Raptors are partnering to celebrate the contributions of Indigenous athletes to Canadian sport at home and on the international stage.

Starting today, specially wrapped TTC buses and streetcars will feature current and former Indigenous athletes. This initiative is a commitment to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Action 87 which calls all levels of government, in collaboration with Aboriginal peoples and organizations, to provide public education that tells the national story of Aboriginal athletes in history.

Eight TTC buses and five streetcars are the canvas for inspiring images, inviting riders and the public to witness eight athletes’ place in history, including:

• Tom Longboat – The first Indigenous person to win the Boston Marathon (1907).

• Kendra Jessie – Assistant Coach, U18, Alberta Women’s Hockey Team.

• Michael Linklater – Retired number one FIBA 3x3 basketball player in Canada.

• Emily Mandamin – The first person from Iskatewizaagegan to earn a full college basketball scholarship.

• Joleen Mitton – Founder, All My Relations Basketball Team and Vancouver Indigenous Fashion Week.

• Joy Spearchief-Morris – Retired three-time Canadian National Championship finalist hurdler and sprinter.

• Richard Peter – Three-time Paralympic champion (Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, London 2012) in wheelchair basketball.

• Mike Tanton – Co-founder of One Love Basketball and the Living Skies Indigenous Basketball League.

The athletes are also featured on posters in TTC stations and onboard vehicles. A QR code on each creative will direct the user to the Raptors’ Culture Page at https://culture.raptors.com/celebrating-indigenous-athletes with more information on each athlete. The campaign is running now until the end of February 2024.

Quotes:

“Let’s all celebrate the incredible contributions of First Nations, Métis and Inuit people to sport in Canada and internationally. Sport is so powerful in helping young people reach their potential and I commend the Toronto Raptors and TTC for this inspiring campaign.”
– Mayor Olivia Chow

“The TTC is proud to partner with the Toronto Raptors in telling the national story of Indigenous athletes and their contributions to sport. Giving prominence to Indigenous athletes and educating the public with wrapped streetcars and buses is one way the TTC is honouring the diverse communities we serve.”
– TTC Chair Jamaal Myers

“We all have the collective responsibility to advance reconciliation and renew the relationship with Indigenous peoples. We are thankful and honoured for the opportunity to recognize the eight athletes featured in this initiative, and we encourage everyone to take the time to learn more about their valuable contributions to all our communities.”
– Toronto Raptors Culture, Inclusion and Impact Vice President John Wiggins

“On behalf of the 16,000 team members here at the TTC, I want to thank the Toronto Raptors for choosing to partner with us on this campaign. TTC buses and streetcars are iconic in Toronto and an ideal canvas for celebrating Indigenous athletes, inspiring people of all ages and cultures throughout the city.”
– TTC CEO Rick Leary

I love how they put out a press release for this but don't bother to tell people which vehicles are wearing the wraps. In case anyone may want to, you know, look at them.

I love how they put out a press release for this but don't bother to tell people which vehicles are wearing the wraps. In case anyone may want to, you know, look at them.

I highly doubt anyone is going to stand outside all day waiting for one particular bus to drive by. As well, it could be that they are not designated to a specific route.

This is no different than when Byford took the helm. There has been a LOT of turnover in the upper echelons of the TTC's management structure over the past 10-plus years.

Dan

This is no different than when Byford took the helm. There has been a LOT of turnover in the upper echelons of the TTC's management structure over the past 10-plus years.

Dan

Well, I might beg to differ in one respect.

The TTC wasn't running particularly well when Byford came in; and he changed the team up , by and large, hiring younger, more ambitious and demanding people.

When Leary came in, those same people left the organization (a few were poached by Andy to NYC.......but many more left of their own accord later).

One was change driven by someone ambitious, who liked a challenge; one was change driven by someone who if I was being charitable I would deem under-qualified for his position and insufficiently ambitious or accountable.

I can't post what I would say in a less charitable frame of mind.

Last edited:
Well, I might beg to differ in one respect.

The TTC wasn't running particularly well when Byford came in; and he changed the team up , by and large, hiring younger, more ambitious and demanding people.

When Leary came in, those same people left the organization (a few were poached by Andy to NYC.......but many more left of their own accord later).

One was change driven by someone ambitious, who liked a challenge; one was change driven by someone who if I was being charitable I would deem under-qualified for his position and insufficiently ambitious or accountable.

I can't post what I would say in a less charitable frame of mind.
For all of his good will and good appearances....

Byford is hardly the saint that a lot of people seem to make him out to be.

The current downturn in morale within the organization largely started under his watch. Publicly, he was quick to blame the organization for its ills (rightfully or wrongfully), and that wore poorly on a lot of people. A lot of lower and middle management left - or even transferred back into operations in some cases - because it was felt that they were made to be apologists. He also was the one who started the trend of outsourcing operations within the Commission, and that certainly did no favours in that regard.

And of course, he also was the one who hired Leary, and look where that's gotten us.

Of course, that's not to say that things were terrific before. But things markedly changed under Byford, and not necessarily for the better. And they've only gotten worse since.

Dan

Back