News   Jul 16, 2024
 271     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 389     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

That way the parents, kids, and grandparents will all together be able to attend the next Fordfest... if held on a weekend.

all these random Ford cheapshots which seem to pop up in every single thread, often having nothing to do with Ford, have to stop.

Everyone here hates Ford. We get it. We have a new mayor now, move on. Ford is a democratically elected mayor, and like in any democracy, sometimes we have bad politicians, deal with it.

Since children under 12 will be riding free, why not change the conditions for the weekend Family Pass from:

to:
1 adult and not more than 5 youths 12 to 19 years of age or under, or seniors 65 or older;
OR​
2 adults and not more than 4 youths 12 to 19 years of age or under, or seniors 65 or older;
OR​
2 adults.
One reason is because 12-year old will also be riding free.

But generally, that works!
How about this (given that children 12 and under will get free rides):

1 adult and not more than 5 youths 13 to 19 years of age or under, or seniors 65 or older;
OR​
2 adults and not more than 4 youths 13 to 19 years of age or under, or seniors 65 or older;
OR​
2 adults.

This way, all teenagers would be covered under the day pass and redundancy is removed.

As for the 50 new buses, are these all new buses, or just (re)announcing the purchase for 40' buses from Nova they already made?

The fact that they need to lease more garage space makes me think they're new ones, but that's complete speculation on my part. They very well could've been reannouncing the same buses as before, though presumably that'd likely make it difficult to operate the ten minute network.

The fact that they need to lease more garage space makes me think they're new ones, but that's complete speculation on my part. They very well could've been reannouncing the same buses as before, though presumably that'd likely make it difficult to operate the ten minute network.

The 50 buses announced in the budget are in addition to the 55 currently scheduled to be delivered from Nova Bus this year.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The 50 buses announced in the budget are in addition to the 55 currently scheduled to be delivered from Nova Bus this year.
Later in the 10-year outlook they talk about 810 new 40-foot diesel buses. 710 being for replacement and 150 being for service improvement/growth.

No explanation why 710+150=860 ... a difference to 50 and how that relates to the 55. So 865? 915? Who knows ... perhaps the upcoming TTC capital budget will provide enlightenment. Missing was the 60 new streetcars.

Since children under 12 will be riding free, why not change the conditions for the weekend Family Pass from:

to:
1 adult and not more than 5 youths 12 to 19 years of age or under, or seniors 65 or older;
OR​
2 adults and not more than 4 youths 12 to 19 years of age or under, or seniors 65 or older;
OR​
2 adults.

I would just forgo all age restrictions and allow travel for a group of 4 or something, it makes things simpler for everyone. Ideally I would just get rid of day passes altogether and introduce individual tickets with presto chips and maybe sell them at a reduced price on weekends and holidays.

Personally I would have kept the child's fare, raised cash fares to $3.25 and tokens to $2.75, and frozen Metropass prices. The reason for the latter is to try and bring down the break even point on passes, which will be necessary for two hour transfers to be financially viable for the TTC. One of the reasons why pass prices are so high is because the TTC likes to capitalize on low cost rides like short round trips and stopovers, which they will not be able to do once this takes effect.

The only rationale for having it at this price that I can think of is that once Presto takes effect, the "convenience" factor of a pass to cover these extra trips will be lost. So in order to continue to gouge these folks who may not even use the system a full 50 times a month as is, they will instead make sure to charge for each and every ride possible.

What the TTC really needs to do is start charging by distance (or zoned fares, etc.) so they can recoup some of the cost of providing the most expensive trips - long bus routes with highly directional demand and low turnover. The higher that base fares get, the more they lose those short trips that subsidize the rest of the system.

I imagine that like many TTC users, I'm a subway-only choice commuter (because of where I live and work) and for me it's getting to the point where I end up forgoing a Metropass quite often, and only use the TTC for the bare minimum because other options are more compelling. If I can save $5.60 by riding my bike to work once a week, or my wife and I can drive downtown on weekend evenings and park for $6 at City Hall instead of paying $11.20 for two subway round trips, then that's lost revenue (and profit) for the TTC. I used to buy a Metropass automatically 12 months a year, but now it's down to only March, April, October and November because I don't use it enough other times. Once I'm off the metropass, my discretionary TTC trips are lower too.

Last edited:
... and I can drive downtown on weekend evenings and park for $6 at City Hall instead of paying $11.20 for two subway round trips, then that's lost revenue (and profit) for the TTC.
Does the $5.20 cover the car usage? What's the average cost per kilometre now ... pushing 50 cents? I guess if you live at Rosedale station it might make sense ...

Though who am I to talk ... I'll drive across town late-at-night (the Gardiner is magnificent when it's empty!) and pay to park ... because suddenly the driving is much faster, and the transit becomes less frequent (though extending the half-hour GO Lakeshore service later might tempt me away ...).

I assume you're referring to reimbursement rates for use of a personal car for work purposes... those numbers always seem very high given actual gas cost and depreciation (which is tied more to age of vehicle than mileage). We live near Woodbine station so it's only about 9 km to downtown, so gas probably costs less than a dollar. We plan to keep the car until it falls apart and don't put excessive mileage on it, so the net depreciation is probably zero for an extra trip. Also as you say, we can be downtown in 15-20 minutes off-peak vs. 40 minutes on the subway. When you factor the value of our time, driving is a no-brainer.

Trips to places outside of downtown (where parking is free or cheap) favour the car even more... we often drive to restaurants down in Leslieville because street parking is free after 6PM. $2.80 each for a one-way 2 km trip is completely ridiculous.

I assume you're referring to reimbursement rates for use of a personal car for work purposes... those numbers always seem very high given actual gas cost and depreciation
Those reimbursement rates are based on the actual costs of an average car. Yes, including deprecitation. The last Civic I had depreciated $12,000 in about 120,000 km so that's 10 cents/kilometre right there. Gas ... well that's a factor. Throw in insurance, maintenance, etc. Better yet, throw in accidents ... you don't get those with the car parked at home. I loved the Ikea trip that cost $550 for a $50 table after a hit-and-run and losing $500 deductible (and that's ignoring the hours of time spent on it between towing, visits to body shop, and the police investigation). Though "average" seems to be better than I buy. About 7-8 years ago I had to do the real calculation for my taxes, and it came in at about 25 cents to 30 cents per kilometre (it went up after I bought a new car, and the depreciation increased). Probably was higher more recently with the gas prices, but that's over for now.

We live near Woodbine station so it's only about 9 km to downtown, so gas probably costs less than a dollar. We plan to keep the car until it falls apart and don't put excessive mileage on it, so the net depreciation is probably zero for an extra trip. Also as you say, we can be downtown in 15-20 minutes off-peak vs. 40 minutes on the subway. When you factor the value of our time, driving is a no-brainer.
I live not so far from Woodbine station. 40 minutes on the subway? You exaggerate a bit. Google maps says 23 minutes from Woodbine to Dundas mid-morning off-peak ... same on Saturdays.

Trips to places outside of downtown (where parking is free or cheap) favour the car even more... we often drive to restaurants down in Leslieville because street parking is free after 6PM. $2.80 each for a one-way 2 km trip is completely ridiculous.
I don't drive to restaurants, simply because I like to have a drink with dinner.

This is the kind of reason that most in this situation have a Metropass. Given that the cost of a Metropass is the cost of 43 tokens (don't forget the 15% tax credit on passes), the Metropass is pretty much paid for with 20 days of work in a month. For extra savings, I've got an annual subscription, so it's paid for in less than 40 trips per month.

At least once a week or so I stop somewhere for something on the way home. There always seems to be a medical appointment every month (well, it always seems to be 3-4 in one month and none for months ...) that takes 2 trips. Once every couple of weeks my wife takes it and I use tokens, and she does a big shopping spree up and down Danforth. It's hard not to have the required 43 (or 40) trips in a month to make it pay off. One month in the last 7 years I ended up out of town for 3 weeks, and it only got about 20 rides. Another month I sold it to a friend at cost (which they thought was a bargain at the discounted annual price!).

Quite frankly, I don't really want the hassle of driving downtown, and then parking. Though there are spots that are difficult to get to on transit. Leslieville. Even due south to Queen is a pain if your mid-block between two routes. Kingston and Victoria Park. So then occasionally the car comes out. And across-town late evenings ... though even weekends are becoming increasingly painful to drive.

Last edited:

Back