News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

You can place a light barrier on the side between the door and the train (like what is used in elevators and on the TTC’s Streetcars) to detect that the area is clear before starting the train. It’s not a big safety issue with the right protections.

Sure. The manufacturer of the hardware in the video doesn't appear to include light barriers though, and with a 10 inch gap it's a lot of sensors to cover that space. I also can't tell if the electronics support that type of detection or not.

The easy fix is to install it closer to the track edge, so there isn't a person sized gap between the train and the screen door BUT then something poking through the screen might catch on the train.

Toronto Fire would may also have issues with anything that fails to a closed position too (in power failure or overheated electronics) vs failing to an open position as it makes exiting a track-level fire more difficult. A mag-lock holding the contraption to the ceiling would probably resolve that problem though.

Sure. The manufacturer of the hardware in the video doesn't appear to include light barriers though, and with a 10 inch gap it's a lot of sensors to cover that space. I also can't tell if the electronics support that type of detection or not.

Light curtains used in elevators and public transport vehicles can reliably detect objects as small as 5-10mm. It’s not as big of a hurdle as it may appear.

I also can't tell if Toronto Fire would may also have issues with anything that fails to a closed position too (in power failure or overheated electronics) vs failing to an open position as it makes exiting a track-level fire more difficult. A mag-lock holding the contraption to the ceiling would probably resolve that problem though.
There’s almost certainly a door openable from the track-side at the ends of the platform.

Parliament St has been closed south of Front S since Monday morning. The 65 bus is diverted, is there anything on TTC website. Of course not! (This was a long-planned closure to connect the final section of the huge new gas main so there is really NO excuse!)
Likely Driver's Services (aka Transportation Services) were told about it, since the automobile is a higher priority than public transit. So they forgot about public transit, as usual.

Last edited:
Likely Driver's Services (aka Transportation Services) were told about it, since the automobile is a higher priority than public transit.
yes, it has been posted on the City's Road Restrictions map for a week or more. They needed a permit to close the street so Transportation clearly knew about it!

UPDATE: 4pm. NOTICE UP ON 65 Bus webpage!

Last edited:
Likely Driver's Services (aka Transportation Services) were told about it, since the automobile is a higher priority than public transit. So they forgot about public transit, as usual.
Don't attribute malice where there is incompetence. I was driving in the area several weeks ago and both waze + google maps didn't know the street was closed off.

Don't attribute malice where there is incompetence. I was driving in the area several weeks ago and both waze + google maps didn't know the street was closed off.
It was closed on August 1st. The TTC is part of the City so they SHOULD have had a direct note from Transportation. I did not attribute malice but it IS incompetence.

Last edited:
Not sure if these have been shared before, at the Sheppard Yonge bus loop:

20230803_182113.jpg
20230803_182119.jpg

Light curtains used in elevators and public transport vehicles can reliably detect objects as small as 5-10mm. It’s not as big of a hurdle as it may appear.

Yes, These could be solved with modifications to this product or something similar from another vendor paying attention to these things. See below:

Interesting. I've not seen these before, though I'm not sure that specific implementation would be allowed here.

There is not a light curtain detecting across the entire width of the gap in any of their sample products. It's not the size of the object, it's the size of the gap that makes it trickier. It's not a technical challenge, it just isn't something this vendor implemented.

Someone else, perhaps yourself, could create a product suitable for TTC use. This specific implementation definitely would not be allowed here even if TTC and council really wanted it.

There’s almost certainly a door openable from the track-side at the ends of the platform.

There probably is. An exit via track level is not the preferred way for people to get out from a train at the station.

Again, I agree that it is solvable and mentioned how it might be done, but this specific implementation probably doesn't meet our Building Code requirements as currently sold.

It looks like their target audience was outdoor commuter stations where snow buildup or high winds would be an issue. GO might consider something like this at busier stations like Oakville or Aldershot.

Does anyone know why Dundas was chosen as the diversion for the 501, instead of King with its transit mall?

Good piece in Star from Matt Elliott. He suggests all TTC Board should use the TTC (duh!) and should monitor Rick Leary. BTW, I think Leary's contract is over, is he now on a month-to-month or ???

Good piece in Star from Matt Elliott. He suggests all TTC Board should use the TTC (duh!) and should monitor Rick Leary. BTW, I think Leary's contract is over, is he now on a month-to-month or ???

Denzil Minnon-Wong is a good bad example.

From link.
Denzil Minnon-Wong was appointed to the Toronto Transit Commission by City Council under the Mayor Rob Ford administration in December 2010. He was one of 5 councillors on the TTC board who voted in 2012 to terminate the services of the TTC General Manager Gary Webster. Andy Byford was hired as Webster's replacement. The five councillors who supported Webster's termination, including Minnan-Wong, were removed from the TTC board by council on March 5, 2012, as a result of a motion by Councillor Karen Stintz, chair of the TTC board. On December 2, 2014, he was appointed again to the TTC board by city council after the election of Mayor John Tory with his tenure ending with the end of his term of office as a councillor on November 15, 2022.

From 2015, from this link.

Ten things Denzil Minnan-Wong can’t live without​

(#1). My car

I’m a car guy. I used to have a Porsche 928 S4 and a BMW 328. Those days are gone (I’m a family man now), but I love driving alone in my Subaru Forester. I come into the city from North York every morning and watch the sun glint off the towers.

Today, we have Stephen Holyday on the TTC board. Another car guy.

From link.

It’s absurd to see Councillor Stephen Holyday seek a possible veto over new sidewalks when residents have been reduced to begging cars to slow down
Despite their benign ubiquity, Councillor Stephen Holyday (Ward 2, Etobicoke Centre) moved a motion on Tuesday (back in 2019) to amend the city’s road-safety plan to give local councillors a possible veto over new sidewalks, allowing them to take objections to the city’s infrastructure committee. Holyday said some residents in his ward who don’t have sidewalks are happy without them and don’t want them..

Back