News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

They are really asking for trouble (with that 2nd bullet) if this image gets out haha.
Do have any information on reports of people who had a device hacked via Bluetooth? Most people usually have it turned on either for a smartwatch or for wireless headphones or devices like that. Also that part of the video seems to be from the company that they got the equipment from.

I'd hope they are at least spending money on better wayfinding within their elevators if they are going to spend money on this. I believe there is still inconsistent numbering with some stations (some stations count floors up, others down). Toronto tradition: the wayfinding is inconsistent and not intuitive. There are a couple good examples where the TTC elevator buttons are labeled effectively. 'Trains' comes to mind with subway/metro logo.

And the segregation of our transit agencies makes it worse when navigating between them...Go transit elevator labelling, for example, is much worse... Can you guess what LT or LP means in an elevator (Pickering Go station)? How about B1, B2 or C2 (union)? At least TTC for the most part sticks to numbers or obvious destination labels.
On another video i saw recently where an American who does transit related YouTube videos posted about the layout of elevator floor numbers on the TTC, someone pointed out that they are labeled with the highest floor being either the ground floor or the ones above the entrance

I can't really say much about the numbers for go transit though.

Do have any information on reports of people who had a device hacked via Bluetooth? Most people usually have it turned on either for a smartwatch or for wireless headphones or devices like that. Also that part of the video seems to be from the company that they got the equipment from.
Quite an easy topic to search; the flaws & security incidents of Bluetooth are well documented.

Will there be many security issues? Probably not. But to use the claim of not 'hackable' are most definitely not from anyone who works in info security.0

Quite an easy topic to search; the flaws & security incidents of Bluetooth are well documented.

Will there be many security issues? Probably not. But to use the claim of not 'hackable' are most definitely not from anyone who works in info security.0
Whatever. I get that you have concerns and your welcome to them. There is no need to use the app if you have them.

That being said I used it today on the elevators at Kennedy station and had no problems with it at all and i think it will be very good for people who don't like to touch elevator buttons or find it hard to do so.

Also many large hotel chains are now adding Bluetooth functions to their apps so that people can use their phone instead of going to the front desk and getting a key card to open their doors.

Last edited:
Not really sure where to put this but i was browsing the TTC website and came across this page https://www.ttc.ca/accessibility/Contactless-Elevator-Access . It's about a pilot project they are trying out that uses an app on your phone to control the elevator. According to the FAQ section it's also being used at Toronto Pearson international airport as well.

What year did they pull the app design out of? 2008? Why does the app look like one of the old flashlight apps you'd have to install on phones?

What year did they pull the app design out of? 2008? Why does the app look like one of the old flashlight apps you'd have to install on phones?
From the website it was first designed in 2020, but i don't really see why it has to be anything special. When you connect to an elevator that uses it from the outside you get either an up or down button or both depending on what level your on. Inside the elevator you get the floor buttons which do change what they show in the elevators, also on another page you can get the buttons for open door and close door, on both screens you will also have the alarm button. I don't really see why it needs to be more complex than that.

From the website it was first designed in 2020, but i don't really see why it has to be anything special. When you connect to an elevator that uses it from the outside you get either an up or down button or both depending on what level your on. Inside the elevator you get the floor buttons which do change what they show in the elevators, also on another page you can get the buttons for open door and close door, on both screens you will also have the alarm button. I don't really see why it needs to be more complex than that.
The UX is pretty good and gets the job done, it's just the background and font that look atrocious.

The UX is pretty good and gets the job done, it's just the background and font that look atrocious.
I think there are some back end customizations as well because the picture on the website for the article about Persson international airport shows their logo at the top of the screen. Right now because the TTC is only using it in five stations Kenedy, Kipling, Finch, Vaughn metropolitan centre and Union they probably haven't made any changes yet. It's like with the screens in the newest buses they still have the generic information in them as the TTC is working with the company that makes them to make some changes to the information displayed but they also wanted to wait until they had more on the road before they do that.

I think there are some back end customizations as well because the picture on the website for the article about Persson international airport shows their logo at the top of the screen. Right now because the TTC is only using it in five stations Kenedy, Kipling, Finch, Vaughn metropolitan centre and Union they probably haven't made any changes yet. It's like with the screens in the newest buses they still have the generic information in them as the TTC is working with the company that makes them to make some changes to the information displayed but they also wanted to wait until they had more on the road before they do that.
Screens are slowly being updated with the new graphics. They decided to go with the MTA style signs with the left side showing route info and the right showing advertisements. So far it’s just TTC ad’s like you see on the TR.

Screens are slowly being updated with the new graphics. They decided to go with the MTA style signs with the left side showing route info and the right showing advertisements. So far it’s just TTC ad’s like you see on the TR.
What happened to the design they were talking about on twitter?
20230723_125616.jpg

TTC should take a page out of YRT's playbook and show next 5 upcoming stops w/ETA, plus next 5 connecting routes at the next stop on a separate screen. They could even use the right side of the screen to show connecting routes without having to interrupt the upcoming stop feed.

If they replace that right screen with the time to the next 3 stops as well any connecting route, that would be a big step on matching Europe setup. If there are connecting routes at the coming stop, a new right screen should show up telling riders when X or X's will arrive at that stop as well the next 2.

As for the left, would show at the bottom the time to the end of the route

Will have to do a search for for the various screens I shot on my trips as I never tag them other than by systems and country.
8084601845_4bd0721254_b.jpg

Las Vegas with no time to the next stops
48027246962_961ec5cff0_b.jpg

Back