News   May 28, 2024
 325     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 386     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 700     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

I was on a TTC bus this morning and I noticed the "stop requested" chime hand been changed from the normal single note "ding" to a two-note "beeeeeeep-boop."

I assumed it was simply a malfunction or something, but now reading your comment I think I recognise that sound from GO, but I haven't been on GO for several weeks and can't remember for sure.
That happens when the stop requested strips on the underside of the wheelchair-accessible seats are used. It's to notify the driver that a passenger in a mobility device has requested the stop.

Dan

That happens when the stop requested strips on the underside of the wheelchair-accessible seats are used. It's to notify the driver that a passenger in a mobility device has requested the stop.

Dan
Oh that's odd then as it made that sound for every single stop.

Oh that's odd then as it made that sound for every single stop.
In that case.....

There was likely some issue within the bus that caused it to do that. Perhaps it was an issue with the mutliplexing, or a non-standard chime was installed. It's rare, but it does happen.

Dan

We're Number #1!

Toronto had the least reliable transit service in 2022 compared to other municipalities in the region, according to newly released transit report cards from the Toronto Region Board of Trade.

The average score was based on frequent and basic services, reliability, transit priority, 24-hour service, integration with neighbouring transit systems and service improvement. While Toronto and Mississauga both received a composite score of about 69 per cent — or a B letter grade — Toronto had the lowest score for transit reliability with only 58 per cent of trips being on time. Other municipalities scored over 70 per cent on reliability.

Toronto's lower score was attributed to congestion issues and frequent diversions due to construction. The report notes most recent Toronto transit service cuts are not accounted for and "would negatively affect grading."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-transit-board-of-trade-report-cards-1.6897372

We're Number #1!

Toronto had the least reliable transit service in 2022 compared to other municipalities in the region, according to newly released transit report cards from the Toronto Region Board of Trade.

The average score was based on frequent and basic services, reliability, transit priority, 24-hour service, integration with neighbouring transit systems and service improvement. While Toronto and Mississauga both received a composite score of about 69 per cent — or a B letter grade — Toronto had the lowest score for transit reliability with only 58 per cent of trips being on time. Other municipalities scored over 70 per cent on reliability.

Toronto's lower score was attributed to congestion issues and frequent diversions due to construction. The report notes most recent Toronto transit service cuts are not accounted for and "would negatively affect grading."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-transit-board-of-trade-report-cards-1.6897372
How sad that "the best" only managed in the 70's for trips on time.

Observations- the TTC‘a new announcement chime is a welcome change from their old chime (which seems to date from the 90s).

There also seems to be very few commercial advertisements on the TTC these days, and many empty advertising slots. Advertising budgets still in the pandemic mindset, or are the prices too high?

Observations- the TTC‘a new announcement chime is much more appreciated than their old chime (which seems to date from the 90s).

There also seems to be very few commercial advertisements on the TTC these days, and many empty advertising slots. Advertising budgets still in the pandemic mindset, or are the prices too high?
Or are TTC too incompetent to sell ads?

We're Number #1!

Glad to see the TBoT releasing concrete facts of what many have been pointing out. The TTC has piss pour reliability and it has only been getting worse, despite the TTC trying to paint a portrait of reliability being very good and Leary's idiotic edict of padding schedules and changing the metrics vehicle "on-time" performance.

Despite the issues with MiWay, i've always found Mississauga to have a more reliable system from an on-time performance point of view.

In any case, hopefully our new mayor puts an end to Leary's time as TTC CEO. He's been nothing short of a complete disaster.

We usually see this anytime there's any kind of economic downturn, advertising budgets are usually the first thing that gets hit and hit hard.

We're Number #1!

I have not (yet) read the BoT Report but it is a bit misleading to look only at on-time rates. If the route is infrequent (i.e. many more suburban and small town routes) it really matters to be on time. With TTC, esp. on the 10-minute network, the on-time rate is less important than the SPACING of vehicles. Even if ALL vehicles on a 10 minute headway route are 10 minutes late, you will still get a bus every 10 minutes, even if it is 'late' - according to the schedule. Of course, the TTC is piss poor at route management so proper spacing is also a challenge for them!

Or are TTC too incompetent to sell ads?
Do they actually do that themselves? I was under the impression they outsourced the sales of ads on a contract where the advertising firm got a percentage commission of the total revenue, but that was from something I read 10+ years ago so maybe it's changed or maybe it never really was that.

Last edited:
We usually see this anytime there's any kind of economic downturn, advertising budgets are usually the first thing that gets hit and hit hard.
Yeah though advertising on public transit was in a steep decline already several years before the pandemic.
People aren't looking at ads on public transit, they are looking at the ads that pop up on their phones while they are riding public transit. That has basically killed anything but full station takeovers, and even those are not really in demand anymore.

Back