2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 727     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

TTC releases explainer video on upcoming east-end service changes

June 16, 2023

Beginning Sun., June 18, there will be significant impacts to TTC bus and streetcar service in the east end of the City, due to construction projects in the area. To further assist customers in getting to and from their destinations safely, the TTC has created a detailed explainer video on the service changes, as well as alternate options for customers.

The video can be viewed on the TTC’s YouTube channel at:
, as well as on ttc.ca and the TTC’s social media channels.

Work to upgrade the streetcar tracks and overhead power on Broadview Ave. will result in significant changes to bus and streetcar service at Broadview Station, while construction at the Lower Gerrard and Coxwell intersection to replace aging streetcar tracks will require a full intersection closure.

This construction on Broadview Ave. is the next phase of a coordinated project between the City of Toronto, Toronto Water, and the TTC to renew and upgrade important infrastructure on Broadview Ave. Toronto Water has just completed their work. The City of Toronto will complete planned road resurfacing and sidewalk repairs after TTC track work is complete later this summer.

Broadview Station will remain open during this period, and subway service will be unaffected. There will be no 504 King or 505 Dundas bus or streetcar service on Broadview Ave. between Broadview Station and Gerrard St. E. during construction as vehicular access on Broadview Ave. will be restricted to northbound-only traffic and the remaining lane is too narrow for safe bus operation.

TTC staff are also on-hand at Broadview and Coxwell stations to advise customers of the upcoming changes, as well as alternate routes. For more information, customers are encouraged to visit https://www.ttc.ca/BroadviewConstruction or https://www.ttc.ca/about-the-ttc/projects-and-plans/Gerrard-and-Coxwell.

Reactions: PL1
I've also been intrigued by the route since the TTC makes no reference to the route in that it is never listed on the website or even mentioned. I believe the Island Shuttle was also were you could find the last Orion V after all the others were scrapped. It's gone now and judging by this picture the shuttle is operated by an Orion VII OG.

View attachment 485856
The buses also say out of service in all the photos/videos which is funny because you'll have stuff like jakes barmitzfuh but not "ISLAND SHUTTLE"

June 16, 2023

Beginning Sun., June 18, there will be significant impacts to TTC bus and streetcar service in the east end of the City, due to construction projects in the area. To further assist customers in getting to and from their destinations safely, the TTC has created a detailed explainer video on the service changes, as well as alternate options for customers.

Work to upgrade the streetcar tracks and overhead power on Broadview Ave. will result in significant changes to bus and streetcar service at Broadview Station, while construction at the Lower Gerrard and Coxwell intersection to replace aging streetcar tracks will require a full intersection closure.

This construction on Broadview Ave. is the next phase of a coordinated project between the City of Toronto, Toronto Water, and the TTC to renew and upgrade important infrastructure on Broadview Ave. Toronto Water has just completed their work. The City of Toronto will complete planned road resurfacing and sidewalk repairs after TTC track work is complete later this summer.

Broadview Station will remain open during this period, and subway service will be unaffected. There will be no 504 King or 505 Dundas bus or streetcar service on Broadview Ave. between Broadview Station and Gerrard St. E. during construction as vehicular access on Broadview Ave. will be restricted to northbound-only traffic and the remaining lane is too narrow for safe bus operation.

TTC staff are also on-hand at Broadview and Coxwell stations to advise customers of the upcoming changes, as well as alternate routes. For more information, customers are encouraged to visit https://www.ttc.ca/BroadviewConstruction or https://www.ttc.ca/about-the-ttc/projects-and-plans/Gerrard-and-Coxwell.
they closed the entire intersection but can't get add the turn track they wanted to?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also been intrigued by the route since the TTC makes no reference to the route in that it is never listed on the website or even mentioned. I believe the Island Shuttle was also were you could find the last Orion V after all the others were scrapped. It's gone now and judging by this picture the shuttle is operated by an Orion VII OG.

View attachment 485856
Because there is no such island route. The bus is just there stored for emergency in case they can’t operate one of the 3 ferries for whatever reason and need to transport people to another terminal. So you won’t find it running 99% of the time.

Yes, a few years ago (OK, 13 years) the Board asked Staff to look at all streetcar intersections and identify missing curves or other useful additions. The Report is here.
https://ttc-cdn.azureedge.net/-/med.../2010/July-14/Reports/Optimal_Turnarounds.pdf

Of course, nobody at the TTC actually remembered when Broadview/Gerrard and Church/Carleton were rebuilt. What a bunch of clowns! The Report recommended:

"Staff’s consensus was that items 1 through 5 be incorporated into the existing replacement program to achieve the benefits with as little additional cost and impact to customers & public as possible. Items 6 through 10 should not be pursued at this time due to the significant costs when compared to the limited benefits."

The minutes noted: "It is recommended that the Commission approve the inclusion of these five additional switch alignments to achieve improved turnarounds/diversions in the downtown core". APPROVED.

The 5 approved were:

1 Northbound Bathurst to Westbound College
2 Eastbound College to Southbound Bathurst
3 Westbound Carlton to Southbound Church
4 Eastbound King to Northbound York
5. Northbound Broadview to Westbound Gerrard

I am not sure about # 1 and #2, #3 and #5 were forgotten and the work on York (#4) MAY happen when King is rebuilt in 2024/2025?? Of course, York is about to become two-way from Queen to Adelaide, lets hope someone with half a brain decides to bring the two-way track down to King and add the necessary curve there too. (OK, not holding my breath!)

Yes, a few years ago (OK, 13 years) the Board asked Staff to look at all streetcar intersections and identify missing curves or other useful additions. The Report is here.
https://ttc-cdn.azureedge.net/-/med.../2010/July-14/Reports/Optimal_Turnarounds.pdf

Of course, nobody at the TTC actually remembered when Broadview/Gerrard and Church/Carleton were rebuilt. What a bunch of clowns! The Report recommended:

"Staff’s consensus was that items 1 through 5 be incorporated into the existing replacement program to achieve the benefits with as little additional cost and impact to customers & public as possible. Items 6 through 10 should not be pursued at this time due to the significant costs when compared to the limited benefits."

The minutes noted: "It is recommended that the Commission approve the inclusion of these five additional switch alignments to achieve improved turnarounds/diversions in the downtown core". APPROVED.

The 5 approved were:

1 Northbound Bathurst to Westbound College
2 Eastbound College to Southbound Bathurst
3 Westbound Carlton to Southbound Church
4 Eastbound King to Northbound York
5. Northbound Broadview to Westbound Gerrard

I am not sure about # 1 and #2, #3 and #5 were forgotten and the work on York (#4) MAY happen when King is rebuilt in 2024/2025?? Of course, York is about to become two-way from Queen to Adelaide, lets hope someone with half a brain decides to bring the two-way track down to King and add the necessary curve there too. (OK, not holding my breath!)
College & Bathurst was rebuilt in 2016, so they're 4 for 5 on wasting those opportunities.

I don't have a date for the last rebuild of King & York though so maybe they missed all of 'em.

College & Bathurst was rebuilt in 2016, so they're 4 for 5 on wasting those opportunities.

I don't have a date for the last rebuild of King & York though so maybe they missed all of 'em.
2013 when they fully rebuilt York and removed the southbound track

Yes, but that construction seems to have not included the intersection at King according to @Steve Munro https://stevemunro.ca/2013/03/24/york-street-construction-news/
I have to check King the next time I am the area as I either arrived at the removal stage late or the photos are part of the 50,000+ Flickr have lost for my site. I have some shots of trackwork between King and Adelaide, but like I have from Adelaide to Queen as before shots to after completion. Steve would know better than me since he been cover TTC since the 70's long before me as well doing more.

Did a few shots of York last year and can't recall if I shot King at all.

Its my understanding, southbound track will only be between Adelaide and Queen only. Taking it to King will be a bonus for the system.

One hopes a T connection is install for Richmond to all streetcars do better short turns or detour as well an east to north at Adelaide.

Kings intersection needs all turning tracks for both directions

June 16, 2023

I would say that changes that need a 6+ minute video are too complicated!

I would say that changes that need a 6+ minute video are too complicated!
Never watched it as I knew it would be a waste of time. The change is a dog fight and real poor planning. In some way, pushing things down the road has comeback with a nasty bite for everyone.

I have to check King the next time I am the area as I either arrived at the removal stage late or the photos are part of the 50,000+ Flickr have lost for my site. I have some shots of trackwork between King and Adelaide, but like I have from Adelaide to Queen as before shots to after completion. Steve would know better than me since he been cover TTC since the 70's long before me as well doing more.

Did a few shots of York last year and can't recall if I shot King at all.

Its my understanding, southbound track will only be between Adelaide and Queen only. Taking it to King will be a bonus for the system.

One hopes a T connection is install for Richmond to all streetcars do better short turns or detour as well an east to north at Adelaide.

Kings intersection needs all turning tracks for both directions
The new southbound track on YORK STREET that has been announced will go from Queen to Adelaide only. As you say (and as others have said around here for months) they really should bring this new southbound track down to King or AT LEAST make allowances for doing so when the King Street track is replaced (2025?). York will thus be northbound from Wellington to Queen and (ideally) southbound from Queen to King with all the necessary curves.

Though assuming that the TTC would do something sensible is clearly unwise, I too assume that they will add the following curves:

1. West to south curve added at Richmond & York. (There is already a west to north one)
2. East to north and (at least provision for) east to south at Adelaide & York.
3. At least plan for new track south on Adelaide from Adelaide to King with curves for south to east and south to west - at York & King.

Of course, if Brad Bradford wins the by-election he will stop all work on the Adelaide and Richmond tracks as he will use King as the 501 diversion route.
https://twitter.com/BradMBradford
"My plan would see the Queen streetcars diverted to King Street downtown, instead of the current plan to clog up Richmond and Adelaide. I’ll keep Richmond and Adelaide dedicated to vehicles, while maintaining protected cycling lanes to make it easier and safer for everyone to travel through downtown." See:
He seems not to be aware that the tracks are all there on Richmond and the track on Adelaide is already finished from Spadina to York and only the York to Victoria blocks of it need to be rebuilt. (The City just announced "Starting the week of June 12, TTC streetcar track removals will begin. Residents will see an increase in construction activities on Adelaide Street from York Street to Victoria Street during this time."

I was never too keen on him as a Councillor (or candidate) but this confirmed my opinion!

The new southbound track on YORK STREET that has been announced will go from Queen to Adelaide only. As you say (and as others have said around here for months) they really should bring this new southbound track down to King or AT LEAST make allowances for doing so when the King Street track is replaced (2025?). York will thus be northbound from Wellington to Queen and (ideally) southbound from Queen to King with all the necessary curves.

Though assuming that the TTC would do something sensible is clearly unwise, I too assume that they will add the following curves:

1. West to south curve added at Richmond & York. (There is already a west to north one)
3. At least plan for new track south on Adelaide from Adelaide to King with curves for south to east and south to west - at York & King.

Of course, if Brad Bradford wins the by-election he will stop all work on the Adelaide and Richmond tracks as he will use King as the 501 diversion route.
https://twitter.com/BradMBradford
"My plan would see the Queen streetcars diverted to King Street downtown, instead of the current plan to clog up Richmond and Adelaide. I’ll keep Richmond and Adelaide dedicated to vehicles, while maintaining protected cycling lanes to make it easier and safer for everyone to travel through downtown." See:
He seems not to be aware that the tracks are all there on Richmond and the track on Adelaide is already finished from Spadina to York and only the York to Victoria blocks of it need to be rebuilt. (The City just announced "Starting the week of June 12, TTC streetcar track removals will begin. Residents will see an increase in construction activities on Adelaide Street from York Street to Victoria Street during this time."

I was never too keen on him as a Councillor (or candidate) but this confirmed my opinion!
Would never vote for Brad in the first place as he talking out both sides of his mouth with more protection for the car folks. Only 2 I would vote for and the one I would like to see is not not at the top.

By having tracks on York to King, it allows TTC a faster route to get around the Close King for TIFF and other events going east than today.

At the same time is the city willing to give up another northbound lanes to get cars up to Richmond as well dealing with 2 lanes going south to King?. Once Adelaide is back in service, the King car will have a faster time going east to Church than today.

Reactions: max

Without a commitment to go South to King, a West to South curve wouldn't be much use as they'd have to quickly go East at Adelaide, so I doubt they'll add that in given an on street loop already exists with Church, Richmond, Victoria & Adelaide. Future proofing for it would be good, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for Adelaide & York, is my understanding that it will have both East to North & North to East curves.

Back