News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 396     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

While walking from the south platform at Union to the Streetcar today, pass Brookfield east entrance and a few gates were opening and closing with no one near them.

Another year, need Presto to get around the GTHA and pass the fare gates, as all other fare media than it will be history.

Ghosts!

EDIT: Indeed, I was going to comment on the ceiling slats. That looks horrible.

EDIT: Indeed, I was going to comment on the ceiling slats. That looks horrible.
Cheaper to use black paint than to put in a suspended ceiling. Less chance of vandalism as well.
The latter comment could only look better if *all of it* is torn down...and it can work, but not without massive visual consequence. Sure the ceiling disappears into a massive black void, but it's black! Gee, not enough black in our subways, is there?

What possible reason could be made for ripping holes in the suspended dropped ceiling and leaving the rest, besides the obvious need to mount ancillaries?

It's looks like shit, but smells even worse. What do they think, we'd never notice? These are the same folks spending $Multi-Millions on garish art projects on the subways to nowhere but somehow have no realization of the freakin' mess left everywhere else?

Presumably they're still working on wiring or some such in the ceiling and will replace the panels when they're done? Dufferin had a ton of missing ceiling panels for the better part of a year; they only just recently were replaced.

Presumably they're still working on wiring or some such in the ceiling and will replace the panels when they're done? Dufferin had a ton of missing ceiling panels for the better part of a year; they only just recently were replaced.
The TTC has a long-standing problem of replacing ceiling slats and wall panels that they need to remove for a project. Clearly the ceiling slat & wall-panel teams are not in the loop! Silos!

To be fair, it also takes them a decade from start to finish most projects, and it would be time to start again by the time they're done. <sarcasm>

Funny how no other transit system else seems to be having this issue.

AoD

Some of the new fare gates at Finch are now in use:

IMG_2968.JPG

Now I am just waiting for the chaos that will happen every time a train pulls in.

Attachments

• IMG_2968.JPG
    IMG_2968.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 583
The ceiling slats at Union were installed for the opening but then quickly removed for more work and have since disappeared likely not to be seen again for ages. But what is worse, on the new platform a drywall partial drop ceiling was added after the opening in front of the name Union, covering up the top part of the name. I thought it was temporary but it doesn’t look like it’s going to be removed. It seems like an oversight.

The ceiling slats at Union were installed for the opening but then quickly removed for more work and have since disappeared likely not to be seen again for ages. But what is worse, on the new platform a drywall partial drop ceiling was added after the opening in front of the name Union, covering up the top part of the name. I thought it was temporary but it doesn’t look like it’s going to be removed. It seems like an oversight.
Send in a Suggestion to the TTC website - these are actually read and some even result in change!

^Not to mention that in some countries, (The UK especially) the terms "north and south" for wayfinding are almost moot. At least they had an arrow on the sign, but here's how ludicrous it gets with lack of foolproof directions: (pardon atrocious pic quality)

upload_2018-7-17_16-2-38.png

That's the elevator west side north tunnel at Bloor GO Station, albeit all the elevators are marked same. There are two possibilities with the elevators, up or down. (There are only two floors, and they called the lower section "Ground" for some God unknown reason, and actual ground floor "2")

Needless to say, for those speaking poor English, "UP" is exactly backwards. Not to mention that any and all of the confusion (I've used them hundreds if not thousands of times, and still get flustered) all that is needed is an up arrow, and a down one.

How much easier could it be?

And no-one thought of it...

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-17_16-2-38.png
    upload_2018-7-17_16-2-38.png
    431.8 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
This would work a lot better than the Presto ones if things work out fine. It goes back to something I proposed a decade ago like this. This will save people time locating the card and having more than one person using it at a time.

Gateless fare collection system developed

Back