774     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 607     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

Final wave of new TTC fare gate installation begins

August 23, 2017

As modernization of the TTC continues, new paddle-style fare gates with PRESTO are now being installed at the remaining 25 subway stations and more than 50 entrances that still have turnstiles, some dating back to the 1950s and '60s.

The new gates, which provide an unobstructed path in to and out of stations and improve customer flow, are a key piece of the TTC's overall modernization plan. The new gates are in place today at 44 stations and 75 entrances. The next wave of construction takes place in some of the TTC's busiest stations where the fare lines are more physically constrained, necessitating some weekend closures, as well as early closures, both on weekends and week nights, where subway trains will pass through, and not stop, at the affected stations. Locations, dates and times of station closures are as follows:

Dundas Station:
11 p.m. nightly, Sept. 10 to 14
Weekend closure from 11 p.m. Sept. 15 until 6 a.m. Sept. 18
11 p.m. nightly, from Sept. 18 until the middle of October

King Station:
10 p.m. nightly, Sept. 19 to 23

Queen Station:
11 p.m. nightly, Oct. 18 and 19
Weekend closure from 11 p.m. Oct. 20 until 6 a.m. Oct. 23
11 p.m. nightly, Oct. 23 until the end of November

Museum Station:
10 p.m. nightly, Nov. 1-2 and 6-7

St Andrew Station:
Weekend closure from 10 p.m. Nov. 10 until 6 a.m. Nov. 13

College Station:
10 p.m. nightly, Nov. 14 to 16, and Nov. 20

Osgoode Station:
Weekend closure from 10 p.m. Nov. 17 until 6 a.m. Nov. 20

Queen's Park Station:
10 p.m. nightly, Dec. 6-7 and Dec. 11-12

The construction schedule is available at ttc.ca and a video explaining the next wave of fare gate construction is posted on the TTC's YouTube channel. Station specific fact sheets are also posted at ttc.ca. During closures, customer service ambassadors will be in place to assist customers with directions and information.

As the PRESTO rollout continues across the TTC and more subway station entrances accept PRESTO cards, customers who pay by tokens, cash or purchase their adult or senior Metropass from a collector booth or pass vending machine should now consider switching to PRESTO.

Adult and senior monthly passes on PRESTO are available now - go to prestocard.ca. The TTC's Monthly Discount Plan customers, however, should wait to switch to PRESTO, as an MDP-equivalent pass will be available on PRESTO early next year. The number of Shoppers Drug Mart locations that sell PRESTO cards will be expanded this fall.

When the fare gate installation is complete next spring, every subway station and every entrance will have new gates and accept PRESTO. All TTC buses and streetcars accept PRESTO today.

I am hoping they will knock down that unused collector booths for more fare gates at Dundas. Having said that, trains skipping stations is a little much - was that required during the first run of the installations? I am not sure why it is needed now.

AoD

Last edited:
I wonder why they need to close some of those stations. Can't they do one half of the fare gates at a time - either one side followed by the other, or one entrance/exit followed by the other? The only place where I can see a weekend closure being necessary is Dundas, because there's literally just one entrance and exit on each platform.

I am hoping they will knock down that unused collector booths for more fare gates at Dundas. Having said that, trains skipping stations is a little much - was that required during the first run of the installations? I am not sure why it is needed now.

AoD

Exactly. The new gates are going in at St. Patrick now, and that station is a mess with the elevator construction work. Yet that station isn't closing early or during any weekend.

I'm also not sure why Queen has to be closed. There are, after all, three fully-staffed entrances and exits (the main northbound/southbound gates, as well as the secondary entrance at "James Street/City Hall" that leads up to the Eaton Centre and Shuter Street.

Exactly. The new gates are going in at St. Patrick now, and that station is a mess with the elevator construction work. Yet that station isn't closing early or during any weekend.

I'm also not sure why Queen has to be closed. There are, after all, three fully-staffed entrances and exits (the main northbound/southbound gates, as well as the secondary entrance at "James Street/City Hall" that leads up to the Eaton Centre and Shuter Street.

Closing Queen is egregious. The shuter entrance is HUGE and can easily be kept open. Also, there's the underground walkway, available in the fare paid zone, between the south-side northbound/southbound platforms so it's not even like people would need to be detoured up to the shuter one.

And don't St Andrew and Osgoode each have two farelines, facing north and south, in their concourses?

They probably want to get all entrances done with as little impact as possible. Queen and Dundas are both in a unique situation where they aren't too far apart from each other and have a direct connection with the Eaton Centre so if one is closed it isn't too bad of a walk to the other one. Plus most people that use them usually head through the Eaton Centre.

Closing Queen is egregious. The shuter entrance is HUGE and can easily be kept open. Also, there's the underground walkway, available in the fare paid zone, between the south-side northbound/southbound platforms so it's not even like people would need to be detoured up to the shuter one.

And don't St Andrew and Osgoode each have two farelines, facing north and south, in their concourses?

If you read carefully I believe it is a safety issue. If you close one entrance (and exit) the sheer number of people trying to get off the platform through the second exit will create a dangerous situation. A high risk that someone may be jostled and fall on the track. Or in case of a fire there is no place to exit.

St Andrew already is at capacity with both exits working. Even when just the escalator is under repair it becomes dangerously busy.

If you read carefully I believe it is a safety issue. If you close one entrance (and exit) the sheer number of people trying to get off the platform through the second exit will create a dangerous situation. A high risk that someone may be jostled and fall on the track. Or in case of a fire there is no place to exit.

I don't think it would be any more dangerous than Dundas.

Anyways, there was a YouTube video posted by the TTC where they explain it. Some of the installation work creates harmful dust and passengers can't be around when that's happening. Closing stations early or for a weekend means they can get the fare gates installed faster. Makes sense to me.

My station (St. Andrew) will be closed for a weekend. I'm ok with that since Union or Osgoode are not much of a walk away. If closing a station for a couple of days, means that they can get the work done faster, it's better than dragging construction on for weeks at a time.

Here's the schedule for fare gate installations, including replacing the meat grinder automatic entrances: http://ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/PRESTO/York_Mills.jsp (select your station on the left).

Last edited:
Was at Davisville today, had to exit via the bus bay. There is a collector stationed in the front lobby. The Presto loader there is OOS which sort of makes sense but annoying as both King machines were query-only yesterday and I wanted to load some credit.

Was at Davisville today, had to exit via the bus bay. There is a collector stationed in the front lobby. The Presto loader there is OOS which sort of makes sense but annoying as both King machines were query-only yesterday and I wanted to load some credit.
Set up auto-load and you won't have this problem.

Back