News   Apr 26, 2024
 787     0 

TTC Museum / Visitor Centre

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The February 17, 2010 TTC meeting will discuss the following:
It is recommended that the Commission approve the concept for a Transit Visitor Centre as outlined in this report, noting that a phase 2 of the study will be undertaken to develop a business case justification to identify the recommended site for a Transit Visitor Centre

The report can be downloaded in PDF form from this link.

Some points from the report:

The study considered and evaluated four possible development options.
  1. A museum with a large collection and a focus largely on the past,
  2. A museum with a smaller collection, but also with focus on the past,
  3. A Transit Visitor Centre without (vehicle) collections,
  4. A Transit Visitor Centre with small vehicle collections.[

The following 23 sites were evaluated against the site selection criteria:
  • Davisville Carhouse
  • Greenwood Carhouse
  • McCowan Carhouse
  • Russell Carhouse
  • Roncesvalles Carhouse
  • Arrow Road Garage
  • Birchmount Garage
  • Comstock Garage
  • Davenport Garage
  • Eglinton Garage
  • Lakeshore Garage
  • Lansdowne Garage
  • Malvern Garage
  • Mount Dennis Garage
  • Queensway Garage
  • Danforth Garage
  • Bay Subway Station Lower
  • Queen Subway Station Lower
  • Wilson North Bus Terminal
  • Sheppard Transit City Facility
  • Finch Transit City Facility
  • Eglinton Transit City Facility
  • Ashbridges Bay Replacement Maintenance and Storage Facility

Reviewed 23 TTC sites, 7 short listed

Highest Ranked are:
  • Danforth Bus Garage:
    11,125 nsf vacated by Habitat for Humanity
    Easily adaptable at relatively low capital cost
    Across street from Coxwell subway station
  • Planned Ashbridge’s Bay LRT Facility:
    Purpose-built construction, possible impact on LRT facility
    implementation being advised by TTC

TTC Museum/Visitor Centre

I went digging but couldn't find an old thread about this--apologies if I failed at wrangling the search feature. Anyway, the TTC has been quietly toying with the idea establishing some kind of transitty museum/visitor centre for some time, and in time for the next TTC meeting there's a new report (PDF) back from the heritage consultants on where to go next with the idea.

Apparently, the original proposal was more tightly circumscribed around the idea of a "TTC streetcar museum," but the consultants have (rightly, IMO) now come back with the suggestion that the facility be a bit more broadly steered away from just the TTC's history and into also covering Toronto's pre-TTC transit history, other modes like subways and buses, and getting more of a generalized "present and future" component in there, too.

The consultants have identified that the best site for this facility would be either converting the old Danforth bus garage across from Coxwell station, or purpose-building a visitor space as part of the new Ashbridges Bay LRV carhouse.

Obviously, I imagine no shortage of forumites here would be keen on the idea, but I'd be interested to hear exactly how keen--should substantial money be tossed at this thing? Could a properly-done visitor centre be a valuable way to improve Torontonians relationship with transit? Or is it just going to be a niche-interest space visited by one or two old white guys per week to reminisce about PCCs?

Also, in true Toronto-silo fashion, it seems that nobody seems to be talking between the TTC and the people behind various proposals that have been floated around for a Toronto Civic Museum slash Science-Centre-style "Urbanism Centre". (The Rogers Silos were mooted for that at one point, as has eventually putting something like that into Old City Hall.) Surely a unified facility that offered a larger, multi-hour ROM-style visitor experience would put the TTC's past and future in a better overall civic context?

Why is the Halton County Radial Railway not mentioned anywhere on the report? I think that we absolutely have to do this hand-in-hand with the HCRR, since that's where most of our old streetcars and subways are. They have the only remaining G1s and M1s in existence as well as a big collection of streetcars.

I think that both options they chose are decent locations. The museum would be a much bigger attraction if you could actually ride vintage streetcars as well as looking at them in the carhouse. In that respect, the Ashbridge’s Bay location has an advantage since streetcars could be taken out on the Harbourfront East LRT. Or they could build a simple single track line down the Leslie street spit and have excursions very similar to what currently exists at HCRR.

Last edited:
Somewhere north of the city (maybe at the new Steeles West station?) seems more logical to me. To do it properly it should be easily transit accessible (read: on a subway line), but it also needs to be somewhere where they'll have the room to put out some interesting goodies.

The museum should be located in Central Toronto. The roundhouse would be ideal, but I understand there is another museum located there?

The Edgewater Hotel at the corner of Roncesvalles and Queen is right beside the Roncesvalles carhouse. Wonder if converting the hotel into a TTC Museum/Visitor Centre is possible, especially with the lower ceilings on the upper floors?
20090514-EdgewaterHotel-70s.jpg

20090514-Edgewater_Hotel-2009.jpg

20090514-QueenRoncesvalles1939.jpg

Danforth (Coxwell) is an interesting location - if it gives them the space they need. Do you think they plan to re-install the missing 800 metres of streetcar track to connect to the network at Coxwell and Gerrard?

To me, the most logical and "accessible" location would be, well, Davisville--why not right at TTC Ground Zero?

Yes, Davisville would be a great location, but that depends on what they decide to do with it. If they completely consolidated work fleet operations to Wilson then that would be fine. I think even if they do, they should keep enough storage space for the 4 gap trains: they come in handy in the southbound AM rush south of Bloor.

I think many of the options have very distinctive advantages and I would be happy with any of them:
-Davisville is TTC headquarters, has a great location, and would have lots of space if they vacated the garage and yard
-Coxwell/Danforth is on a subway line, has TTC history, and is not too far from the core,
-Lower Bay has history, a lot of public interest already, and would be very cheap to implement as a subway museum
-Ashbridges Bay has more control over the design, and has good potential for vintage streetcar rides

Back