News   May 03, 2024
 635     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 413     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 221     0 

TTC: Jane (LRT) RapidTO

This is my interpretation of the Jane LRT. All surface LRT all the way up to Wonderland/Vaughan Hospital Terminal.
I aped the design of the Metrolinx Hurontario and Finch plans to make it look as official as possible lol.

bhc1mc.png

Is this project still a go/have any funding?

I know it's part of the Big Move, but it doesn't seem to be on the radar.

Nope, no funding at all. This project is wayyyyy on the backburner. City staff have recommended to revive the project but that's it.

Ford set transit back in this city by decades.
no one was twisting councillors arms to vote the way ford wanted them to vote. But this is what happens - no matter if its a left, right or centrist mayor the majority of councillors tend to vote the way the mayor votes, They fly under the radar, do not read reports and keep getting elected

True, very good points - but with a sensible Mayor we likely would've seen more progress.

It would be great if they could get funding in place for this.

Ideally they'd do a DRL Medium, up to Eglinton alongside the YNE, but hopefully they can push for that after the YNE and DRL are on their way.

I don't understand why we haven't seen more analysis for DRL Medium. Why is it always Bloor or Sheppard, but nothing in-between?

This is my interpretation of the Jane LRT. All surface LRT all the way up to Wonderland/Vaughan Hospital Terminal.
I aped the design of the Metrolinx Hurontario and Finch plans to make it look as official as possible lol.

bhc1mc.png

Love the fantasy map, really hope this gets built some day. But as someone who lives/lived very close to where this goes, I'm not sure how you'd be able to keep it on the surface south of Eglinton without running it in mixed traffic.

I don't understand why we haven't seen more analysis for DRL Medium. Why is it always Bloor or Sheppard, but nothing in-between?
Why half-measures?

It is not like Eglinton to Don Mills is expensive, as far as subway projects go. The difficulty and cost is getting to Eglinton.

Why half-measures?

It is not like Eglinton to Don Mills is expensive, as far as subway projects go. The difficulty and cost is getting to Eglinton.

Just because north of Eglinton there is actually enough ROW for an LRT, and DRL-North could be a branch of Eglinton LRT. And given that "any kind of transfer is a human rights violation," the only way a Sheppard LRT would fly is if it veered south at Don Mills to Science Centre for a 1-transfer ride downtown. And as you say, the difficult part is getting to Eglinton, so it's only north of Eglinton that there's enough of a cost differential to potentially justify LRT.

Not saying it's necessarily the ideal solution, just saying that a more logical transfer point to LRT in any analysis would be at Eglinton, not Bloor.

Last edited:
Just because north of Eglinton there is actually enough ROW for an LRT, and DRL-North could be a branch of Eglinton LRT. And given that "any kind of transfer is a human rights violation," the only way a Sheppard LRT would fly is if it veered south at Don Mills for a 1-transfer ride downtown.

Not saying it's necessarily the ideal solution, just saying that a more logical transfer point to LRT in any analysis would be at Eglinton, not Bloor.
I once envisioned something similar years back, but then it was revealed that the Relief Line all the way to Sheppard was the best option for relieving Yonge.

The issue with DRL North as a branch of the Crosstown (besides it not being as optimal as an extension of the RL) is commuter patterns. Most people are not headed to Yonge and Eglinton, they are headed downtown. LRT on Don Mills is slower, and introducing a new transfer point at Eglinton.

Think of it this way. If you are on the Lawrence or York Mills bus, you would need to transfer once at Don Mills, then a second time at Eglinton and Don Mills, on your way to downtown. Meanwhile, DRL-North is a one-seat ride straight to Queen Station.

bhc1mc.png

The Colbeck and Annette stops would be too close together. Same with the Wilson and Heathrow stops.

Back