News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.9K     6 

TTC has got to be the worst public transit in all developed countries - PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrejeffry

Member Bio
Reaction score
well since my previous thread was closed.

Let's bring up the update:
One day after TTC voted to increase fare, 2 major disruption occurred
1. Wednesday Nov 18, At noon, college station subway closed, due to some accident, closing northbound and southbound from Union to Bloor

2. Wednesday Nov 18, 2.30PM - TBD. No northbound and southbound trains from Bloor to Eglinton

BRAVO TTC! BRAVO!!!

TTC apologists, let's hear your comments

If someone jumps at College and a contruction worker hits a pipe or something up near St. Clair, how is it the TTC's fault? If anything, blame the city at large for not having built more rapid transit lines.

I somehow got screwed by both of these today. I can't really blame the TTC for a jumper, but what happened between Bloor-Eglinton? It wasn't a jumper, and I saw a bunch of workers lining the tracks which made me think maintenance error. That definitely is the TTC's fault, and I sure as hell blame them for it. On the plus side, they did refund my fare for both delays and were quite pleasant about things, so I guess it goes in the win column.

Agreed. Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Houston, Edmonton, Halifax and Miami experienced literally zero service outages on their rapid transit lines today - and, in fact, haven't in months - meanwhile, the TTC sees two in one day! It's absurd.

I somehow got screwed by both of these today. I can't really blame the TTC for a jumper, but what happened between Bloor-Eglinton? It wasn't a jumper, and I saw a bunch of workers lining the tracks which made me think maintenance error. That definitely is the TTC's fault, and I sure as hell blame them for it. On the plus side, they did refund my fare for both delays and were quite pleasant about things, so I guess it goes in the win column.

Word is that a private construction company doing work and screwed up. I guess it's still the TTC's fault in a "Hire better people to do work!" sense, but ultimately it's just kind of a 'shit happens' kind of event. Construction crews are going to screw up sometimes.

For heaven sakes, as stated above the problem at College was a suicide attempt and the current problem is a SAFETY one caused by a road contractor. Would you REALLY rather have the TTC run trains through dangerous tunnels? The TTC is certainly FAR from perfect but they really can't be blamed for either of these two closures.

Whoaccio, in this case I think you are a little off base. A road repair crew on Jackes Avenue were digging a trench in the roadway and somehow were unaware of the presence of the subway directly beneath, or maybe miscalculated the depth. Having struck the tunnel from above, it makes sense to close it until its safety can be assessed.

I've done my share of muttering about the TTC but I don't think they can be blamed here.

Whoaccio, in this case I think you are a little off base. A road repair crew on Jackes Avenue were digging a trench in the roadway and somehow were unaware of the presence of the subway directly beneath, or maybe miscalculated the depth. Having struck the tunnel from above, it makes sense to close it until its safety can be assessed.

I've done my share of muttering about the TTC but I don't think they can be blamed here.

Is that what happened? That's even worse. Sure, every now and then "shit happens", but it's hardly like the subway's location is kept top secret. If things went properly, whoever approves roadwork would have made clear to the road-crew they were operating above a subway and whoever is in charge of the road-crew would have made sure they didn't hit the tunnel. I'm still not sure what happened, but someone screwed up somewhere along the way to hit the tunnel. Someone can be blamed for this. I was under the impression it was the TTC's work gone wrong, and hence ultimately their fault, but if it was roadwork (as you say) then it is ultimately the fault of whoever runs that department.

Whenever I see these kinds of pessimism regarding TTC, I always wonder why Asians are way too ahead of us. But honestly, why always blame every errors and delays directly on poor lil' TTC? Construction problems, traffic delays and fare increases... it has been common nowadays and TTC is barely responsible for it. At most TTC is like a poor lowly slave worker endlessly taking burdens and demands from the rich slavemasters. I've seen contracted construction workers and politicos doing worse jobs (slow process, financial excuses, mismanagement thanks to nut job politicians and greedy mofos. Plus, they are lazier than disgruntled TTC vehicle operators and seem to get more paid).

"Many of us are in the same boat and it's sinking, while these bougie Mother-Fuckers ride on a luxury liner, and as long as we keep fighting over kicking people out of the little boat we're all in, we're gonna miss an opportunity to gain a better standard of living as a whole. " Immortal Technique, The Poverty of Philosophy

Last edited:
I got caught in this mess. Got kicked off at Eglinton after waiting 15 minutes for the train. It was an absolute mess with all the people trying to get onto the shuttle bus...thousands of people pushing and shoving. Took me over an hour to get from Eglinton to just before Bloor before I got fed up and walked home from there.

I do think the TTC is utterly pathetic but the government should share some of the blame for this mess.

Can we simply ban this poster, who has to be the most ignorant poster in all the developed countries.

As previously pointed out, it's not even the worst public transit in the GTA, let alone the country, or the continent!

I had to walk 30 minutes between Eglinton and Bloor, which was ok because it was a nice day, I have no evening plans, and I like to walk.

Yes, the comments section of the star and the globe are blaming this and everything from the second world war to the weather on the TTC.

I take the subway from bloor to don mills 2 times a day, 5 days a week, for 5 years now. This is the 5th time I can remember that there has been a shutdown like this, and the first time that I didnt know about it until i was all ready in the system.

How many times do 401 commuters get stuck in traffic for hours during the year?

Given highway traffic, and "shit happens" ttc shutdowns, Ill take the TTC.

Whoaccio:

The Star reported that it appears a private contractor employed by a private company - Enbridge - is responsible for the error. Isn't it interesting that you just jump right into the issue as an example of how the public sector is at fault when it really doesn't appear to be the case?

It's rather odd that andrejeffy seems to have another previously banned handle on UT, no? Some individuals doesn't seem to learn. Wrong forum, thread closed.

AoD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back