News   Jul 19, 2024
 680     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.1K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     2 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Possible names include Godot, Love, Superman, Christmas, Spring, Santa, and The Cheque in The Mail.

After all, we've been waiting a long time for each of those.

- Paul

This is really reaching a new low now. We are into the "ramp up period" and there is no change. At the end of the month if they haven't been able to "ramp it up" to two, I'm thinking they should cancel the contract, and put out an RFP to see what the price would be to get 200 new streetcars. I wouldn't exclude Bombardier from bidding but Toronto needs to get new pricing, schedules, and late delivery penalties. Maybe it would still be Bombardier, maybe not, but whoever it is needs to be committed. In theory Bombardier should be able to give the best bid because they have everything in place, but with contact penalties we should be able to get a much better picture of how Bombardier is doing. First it was the frames, second it was the wire harness, and if they don't ramp up this month I think that has to be the third strike. At some point you need to cancel the contract and renegotiate if they are unable to deliver.

I was on my balcony, so I have no idea which route it was, but it appeared to be a Flexity going eastbound on Queen at Church. This was about 30 mins ago.

I was on my balcony, so I have no idea which route it was, but it appeared to be a Flexity going eastbound on Queen at Church. This was about 30 mins ago.

It was most likely a 509 or 510 heading back to the yard, as all of them do at some point each day.

It was most likely a 509 or 510 heading back to the yard, as all of them do at some point each day.
they made someone happy yesterday

upload_2016-4-9_22-8-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-9_22-8-9.png
    upload_2016-4-9_22-8-9.png
    843.2 KB · Views: 833
So I've noticed College is closed to streetcar traffic west of Bathurst for wiring upgrades. Is this to make pantograph-compliant wiring?

So I've noticed College is closed to streetcar traffic west of Bathurst for wiring upgrades. Is this to make pantograph-compliant wiring?
Yes

This is really reaching a new low now. We are into the "ramp up period" and there is no change. At the end of the month if they haven't been able to "ramp it up" to two, I'm thinking they should cancel the contract, and put out an RFP to see what the price would be to get 200 new streetcars. I wouldn't exclude Bombardier from bidding but Toronto needs to get new pricing, schedules, and late delivery penalties. Maybe it would still be Bombardier, maybe not, but whoever it is needs to be committed. In theory Bombardier should be able to give the best bid because they have everything in place, but with contact penalties we should be able to get a much better picture of how Bombardier is doing. First it was the frames, second it was the wire harness, and if they don't ramp up this month I think that has to be the third strike. At some point you need to cancel the contract and renegotiate if they are unable to deliver.
You'll only get Bombardier to bid (because you'll add 50% more because of the made in Canada clauses) and lose 1 year to the procurement. Not worth it at all.

1-year? Probably closer to 5 years ...

They could start a competition for the 60 extra vehicles, with an option for 200 more, if one wants to play it safe.

You'll only get Bombardier to bid (because you'll add 50% more because of the made in Canada clauses) and lose 1 year to the procurement. Not worth it at all.
There is no such thing as made in Canada requirement under all the current trade agreement in place now. In fact, the cars can be built 100% off shore under the agreement. The 25% Canadian content in the current order doesn't exist for any new tender requirement.

Since a number of bidders don't have shop space here that want to get their foot in the door for the NA market, they will setup a shop here or the US, more the US to comply with the Buy America requirement for orders in the US.

You will loose 2-3 retendering the cars and that depends on TTC getting a tender out as well going with a prototype car. I know in 2005 based on an email from Alston, they could have a prototype here within 2 years without a tender, but a lot has change since then.

Unless the current cars and all cars up to 4460 comply with the 35,000 km between failure up from the current 12,000, the order can be cancel as well at that time as a breach of contract. What good having new cars that fail before they suppose to since this was the main object of having far less maintenance requirement for at lease 10-15 years as contracted.

The tender for the 60 cars should went out last year as a safe guard then.

Just got this in:

Seventeenth new TTC streetcar enters service

April 11, 2016

The TTC's newest low-floor streetcar, car number 4418, entered service on the 510 Spadina route on Friday evening. There are now a total of 17 new streetcars in service on the 510 Spadina and 509 Harbourfront routes.

All of the new accessible streetcars are equipped with PRESTO card readers and a fares and transfers machine, to allow customers to pay their fare. The machine will also allow customers without a PRESTO card to purchase a single-ride Proof-of-Payment (POP) ticket using coins or tokens.

The new streetcars are fully accessible for customers using mobility devices, and are more comfortable to ride, featuring a higher passenger capacity and air conditioning. The new streetcars are housed at Leslie Barns, the TTC's new state-of-the-art streetcar facility located at Leslie St. and Lake Shore Blvd.​

As a note, CAF was awarded the order for 136 foot 100% lowfloor cars for the Purple Line in Maryland and they are 12 feet longer than the Dallas cars that are only 25% lowfloor. They will be the longest in NA once the line goes into service 2022.

Back