News   May 08, 2024
 356     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 568     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 804     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

4455 is finally in service on 514 after 3 days in the service bay. The GPS had it all over the place the last 2 days to the point it was still outside of Toronto when I went to bed.

4456 being off loaded last night is odd, considering 4457 was off loaded on Dec 18 and 4456 was reported being off loaded on the 14. If True, where has 4456 been that it arrived after 4457?? Wouldn't that be 4458 since it was in transit this week???

Last edited:
I have been asked a question related to the failure rate for the new cars and have no knowledge on it and not sure if anyone here even knows.

Has any new car every reach or exceeded the 35 k rating or even come close to it??

I think that King would great if they added even more new cars, but I realize that they aren't get deilveres fast and that they can't pull a lot off of 509, 510, 512 and 514.

So only 63 now, instead of 64.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...vised-year-end-target-for-ttc-streetcars.html

Which would still be a pretty impressive to see 5 more cars arrive in the next 9 days.

If they can keep this up through 2018, we might as well order the final 60 cars. It's not going to be cheaper to get them from elsewhere, and no where near faster.

Sorry that’s rewarding incompetence and basically create even more of a barrier to end a failed relationship.

AoD

Sorry that’s rewarding incompetence and basically create even more of a barrier to end a failed relationship.

AoD

So, instead of getting the additional cars that are going to be desperately in 2020, you'd rather get them in 2023 or 2024? Oh, and for fun, let's have them not share components with the bulk of the fleet that's already in service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

So, instead of getting the additional cars that are going to be desperately in 2020, you'd rather get them in 2023 or 2024? Oh, and for fun, let's have them not share components with the bulk of the fleet that's already in service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Yes. If pain is what it takes to get out of this perverse relationship, so be it. It will be better in the long run not to be tied to BBD. Besides, from the look of it, you might just get them in 2023 at this rate.

AoD

I agree that we should have another company build the additional streetcars, even if it takes an extra year or two. Partially because I don't want to reward Bombardier's incompetence, but also because I see vehicle diversity in a fleet this size as a good thing. Part commonality is good, but really not that necessary when your fleet is in the hundreds. When you have a more diverse fleet, you're less prone to design flaws or early wear taking out all your assets. You also know which designs work better, and know which manufacturers can better deliver better vehicles, on time. It would also just be kind of cool as a rail fan having more types on our streets...

I do hope Bombardier gets their act together, they are a Canadian company, so I want them to succeed. Let them build up their cred again, and they can have a go on future orders, when they're competing against more companies, and not taking Canadian orders for granted.

I see an important ramp up that we should not discount. Is BBD getting over its supply chain issues? Yes.

3 deliveries per week. That's what they need to get to in 2018, and there are reasons to be encouraged.

The already-mentioned 4459 loaded up.

fullsizeoutput_10c8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_10c7.jpeg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_10c8.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_10c8.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 324
  • fullsizeoutput_10c7.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_10c7.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 329

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
and pay (considerably) more for them too!

Given that a) the TTC spec is harder to procure and b) TTC has the moral high ground and c) probably some bargaining leverage at the moment, in that Bombardier needs a venue where it can prove that it has truly recovered it capability, I'm happy to see TTC order more vehicles from Bombardier and drive a harder deal arount delivery penalties.

As for Metrolinx and the new LRT lines, that's where we can go to the market and let Bombardier take its lumps. The ML settlement is at best a draw, and possibly lose-lose. But it's a battle. Creating a situation where your competitor opens a new facility in your neck of the woods, from which they can compete for future orders, is a strategic failure. Bombardier lost the war with that one.

- Paul

Back