News   May 06, 2024
 492     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 679     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I wonder if TTC thought of doing this back in the earlier days of ordering the new fleet??? Nothing like this was every proposed that I know of.

Helsinki tests mock-up longer tram

I wonder if TTC thought of doing this back in the earlier days of ordering the new fleet??? Nothing like this was every proposed that I know of.

Helsinki tests mock-up longer tram

At 34·5 m, the trams will be longer than the 27·6 m long Artic trams currently entering service on the network.

Toronto's CLRV's are 15.2 m in length. The ALRV's are 23.1 m in length. The Flexity Outlook's are 28 m in length.

The Transit City Flexity Freedom's are to be 30.8 m in length. In addition, the Freedom cars will be coupled into trains of 2 or 3 cars in length, 60 to 90 m in length.

My CRO contact in Thunder Bay, Bryan Martyniuk, captured this photo of TTC 4433 sitting in CP's "E" yard in downtown Thunder Bay on Wednesday, March 15th, 2017. It was staged for pickup by CP 420. Ken Reiss, a CRO contributor from Sudbury advises that as of 12 noon on Friday, March 17th, 2017, it is sitting in the middle of Sudbury Yard waiting for furtherance to Toronto. Bryan Martyniuk photo with permission.
cr ttc4433-1.jpg

Attachments

• cr ttc4433-1.jpg
    cr ttc4433-1.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 246
There are a combined total of 8 on 504 / 514. Progress.

And 14 on 510 and 6 on 509. Twenty-eight on the road. As I said, progress.
Byford's CEO REport to the March TTC Board says:

"At the time of writing, 32 new vehicles are on property and available for service. Vehicle 33 has just shipped from Thunder Bay, thereby keeping track with the latest delivery schedule from Bombardier (reproduced below).
My streetcar team has significantly increased the availability of new vehicles for service and it is now common for 31/32 vehicles to be in service, leaving one back for maintenance and/or staff training."

so the new cars have officially begun service on 504 runs, not just 514? nice, didn't know that. I thought Bathurst was the next line to get them, but with it running as buses, I guess it makes sense.

As Bathurst is going to return to streetcar operation this summer with the 501 converted entirely to buses, I wonder if we will see new ones on the 511.

so the new cars have officially begun service on 504 runs, not just 514?

Apparently this is a Sunday-only thing for the time being, and being done at the divisional level. Not sure what the reasoning is - not to say that I don't agree with it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Apparently this is a Sunday-only thing for the time being, and being done at the divisional level. Not sure what the reasoning is - not to say that I don't agree with it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

How about getting operators and drivers accustomed to these huge honkin' things in mixed traffic? Not to mention figuring out how to use the loops which have had their capacity halved. A CLRV is x-long. A Flexity is about 2x. Either the time spent in the loops is going to drop or the approaches to Dundas West and Broadview are going to be jammed with cars waiting to use the loop.

Just to torture everyone here, I have already speculated on how ingenious I think it is to take a long dis-used loop (Dufferin) and tangent track to reduce the pressure at Dundas West. If I were Harry Potter, I'd restore the tracks to Parliament north of Carlton and route at least some 504 cars north to Castle Frank. Aside from reducing the stress on the Broadview loop, it would serve the new developments on Bloor East. Broadview north of Dundas doesn't require the service it has. The point is to get to the subway, not to travel on Broadview. And my point is that with 200+ cars coming, the loops are going to be critical choke points unless something gives.

As usual, my $0.02.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

King is the busiest route on the weekends because there are people using it (duh) despite what the clowns in planning might say.

ot to mention figuring out how to use the loops which have had their capacity halved. A CLRV is x-long. A Flexity is about 2x. Either the time spent in the loops is going to drop or the approaches to Dundas West and Broadview are going to be jammed with cars waiting to use the loop.
They actually come in unload , load and get out as soon as possible in them the CLRVS linger longer because two can fit in with a third unloading with the front doors only.

They actually come in unload , load and get out as soon as possible in them the CLRVS linger longer because two can fit in with a third unloading with the front doors only.
Saturday at Broadview about 3.15 - 505 no op, 505 behind, 505 on street waiting. All CLRVs... Fortunately the op showed up and got going but either the schedules are gonna have to change or dwell time is gonna have to come down.

Saturday at Broadview about 3.15 - 505 no op, 505 behind, 505 on street waiting. All CLRVs... Fortunately the op showed up and got going but either the schedules are gonna have to change or dwell time is gonna have to come down.
TTC is doing a terrible job with these new schedules with more travel time. Trips are given way too much time so they end up waiting on the street (arrived early) while the car in the front still has to wait for schedule. Sometimes the op takes a couple minutes longer and a queue of CLRVs appear.

Creating an overlap like the 514 on the 504 can help if the 514 stays on schedule. Occasionally the 514's are short turning at Spadina which defeats the purpose of the overlap. Maybe we can have a 515 Lansdowne - Parliament and 516 Landsdowne - Coxwell/Queen. Problem is there is no private TTC washroom facility on both ends so this is not likely going to happen. Ops are already unhappy there is no washroom at Distillery Loop but they do have an option to run into Distillery District if they desire.

Back