News   May 14, 2024
 309     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 359     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 424     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

The Spadina line has great service frequency but the speed of that line is still way too slow. There are too many stops. I would remove mid-block stops and try to speed up the service. By doing this, we would increase the capacity of this line.
That was the original plan. The folks in the neighborhood got the stops put back in. Probably one or two too many.

Obviously this solution is a hard sell but in the future can we eventually string together two flexities?

Istanbul uses this solution.

Istanbul-Tram.jpg

It is possible, as seen here. But I asked this in the forum earlier and evidently this isn't an option for revenue service for the Flexity Outlooks. Also platforms would have to be expanded to accommodate this. I think if the TTC orders 60 more streetcars (exercises their option to do so) I think they should ask Bombardier to modify the design to allow this to happen. Could be used on the busy King Street 514, especially if Toronto decides on some type of transit priority in that corridor.

TTC would be better off going to 45m cars and expanding the platforms than 2 car trains. TTC wouldn't be the first to expand platforms and only has to look at Minneapolis to see it when they went from 2 to 3 for their Blue Line and now to 4. Even Calgary doing platform expansion. The loops will be an issue like they are today.

TTC needs to issue a contract for the extra cars to see what the market holds for them down the road and will not be the first system to have different suppliers at the same time.

Speed is based on drivers allowing that last rider running to get on. Taking one or 2 stops out will do very little in speed. Then, most of all, ""ITS THE RIDERS WHO SLOW THE SERVICE DOWN IN THE FIRST PLACE!!"" Riders are to be blame for slowing service down on all lines trying to get on an sardine car in the first place than wait for the next car.

Then, until the current fleet is 100% here, getting on cars will be an issues. Even after all 204 cars are here, TTC still needs capacity to carry riders since the increase numbers are based on yesterday numbers, not today nor what coming down the road.

Last edited:
Speed is based on drivers allowing that last rider running to get on. Taking one or 2 stops out will do very little in speed. Then, most of all, ""ITS THE RIDERS WHO SLOW THE SERVICE DOWN IN THE FIRST PLACE!!"" Riders are to be blame for slowing service down on all lines trying to get on an sardine car in the first place than wait for the next car.

Most likely it's the left turn priority given to the single-occupant motor vehicles instead of the streetcars that carry over a hundred passengers that is the problem.

That was the original plan. The folks in the neighborhood got the stops put back in. Probably one or two too many.

In terms of non-major stops, Sussex, Willcocks, Sullivan, and Richmond could go. Nassau is the only other relatively mid-block stop, but it's extremely busy with Kensington market next door. Every other stop is a major street, has a connecting TTC route, condos, or a combination of those. Down at Queen's Quay, the stops were reduced during the recent rebuild and I think the current spacing is fine, removing either Rees or Harbourfront would create a fairly huge gap.

Sussex and Wilcocks are both close to the Harbord stop, however, it is much further to the next stop on either side if you remove either, and a little bit more factoring in the distance around Spadina Circle or down into Spadina station.
If anything, Harbord is what I would nominate to eliminate (but none are really needed), if it wasn't a somewhat major street and bus transfer.

TTC needs to issue a contract for the extra cars to see what the market holds for them down the road and will not be the first system to have different suppliers at the same time.
If they had the money it would probably be something they might consider but the problem is to get the funding for new vehicles they have to beg all levels of government to chip in.

It is possible, as seen here. But I asked this in the forum earlier and evidently this isn't an option for revenue service for the Flexity Outlooks. Also platforms would have to be expanded to accommodate this. I think if the TTC orders 60 more streetcars (exercises their option to do so) I think they should ask Bombardier to modify the design to allow this to happen. Could be used on the busy King Street 514, especially if Toronto decides on some type of transit priority in that corridor.

The couplers on the legacy fleet cars only provide enough connections to allow a car to tow or push a disabled car. They can not be used in service. To change that will be quite expensive, as not only do you have to rewire the cars to allow for all of the additional connections needed to pass between the cars, but you need a new control system in each car that allows it to be controlled by the other car.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The couplers on the legacy fleet cars only provide enough connections to allow a car to tow or push a disabled car. They can not be used in service. To change that will be quite expensive, as not only do you have to rewire the cars to allow for all of the additional connections needed to pass between the cars, but you need a new control system in each car that allows it to be controlled by the other car.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Which is to say also - to the first post - highly unlikely this would come to pass. In mixed traffic, 200 ft or 60m trains would be a pretty iffy operational prospect I would say. And having ridden the 510 yesterday, even in a separate ROW, a 60m train would almost be longer than some blocks.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

And with such a huge vehicle, more monitors to show all of the (many) interior+exterior cameras from the second car in the first car's cab. That's probably too much for one driver to focus on while driving in mixed traffic, though.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about 4431 making its debut? Any time frame for this streetcar to be in the TTC's sweaty little hands? We're well into the second week of January...

Has anyone seen or heard anything about 4431 making its debut? Any time frame for this streetcar to be in the TTC's sweaty little hands? We're well into the second week of January...
My guess would be it will be ready by the end of the week if Bombardier is able to turn it out. Keep in mind the second production line doesn't begin production for a couple of months.

My guess would be it will be ready by the end of the week if Bombardier is able to turn it out. Keep in mind the second production line doesn't begin production for a couple of months.

Yeah, I guess that's true, it's still early in the year. I preached patience to other readers; I should have heeded my own advice. LOL I just really hope that Bombardier delivers forty Flexities this year!

I saw 4414 in revenue service on the 501 today. Had to stop on Queen as it couldnt fit in the Neville Loop with another streetcar in it.

Back