News   May 08, 2024
 428     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 939     3 
News   May 08, 2024
 509     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Going around how? On the wrong side of the road? On the sidewalk? Through parked cars?

Why would there be "parked cars" on a thoroughfare major enough to sport a bus route? Oh yes, of course, because it's Toronto... how silly of me. Only backward places facilitate traffic flow by insisting car parking be confined to side streets. God forbid people should have to walk two or three minutes to reach a shop when they could just park in front of it and contribute to traffic congestion and smog, the marks of truly progressive cities like ours. Surely life in Leaside, for instance, would come to an end if you could drive down Bayview from Eglinton to the Extension in three minutes instead of ten, and yuppies and their spawn had to cross at signals instead of just charging out from between parked cars like it was just another pedestrian mall like Sparks Street in Ottawa.

My little ax to grind notwithstanding, I think there's little doubt that a bus, even in the worst of circumstances, has more options in terms of maneuverability than a streetcar. Given a couple of minutes and at least one driver who's enough of a mensch to make a space, a bus can get around a stalled car. Good luck with that if it's stalled on the tracks, or is part of a mid-intersection collision.

Of course we'd need 4-5 buses to make up the capacity of each streetcar... wouldn't that be a nice seen, instead of 4 streetcars, we get 20-25 buses.... sounds like a top-tier city to me.

There's a need for more face time due to how long you'll be stuck on a transit city route.

runaway.gif

Maybe it is time for NO PARKING at all on all downtown mayor streets, such as King, Queen, Dundas, etc.. If we want to continue having on-street parking, then we should have on-street parking on the suburban roads as well. What should it be NO PARKING on all streetcar routes, like they have on the suburban bus routes, or allow on-street parking on the suburban bus routes during the non-rush hours?

Am I the only one that actually likes having parking on the streetcar routes?

As a pedestrian, the buffer-zone is very welcome for numerous reasons. And as a streetcar passenger, the parked cars make it harder for drivers to run me over when I'm exiting.

Maybe it is time for NO PARKING at all on all downtown mayor streets, such as King, Queen, Dundas, etc.. If we want to continue having on-street parking, then we should have on-street parking on the suburban roads as well. What should it be NO PARKING on all streetcar routes, like they have on the suburban bus routes, or allow on-street parking on the suburban bus routes during the non-rush hours?

Tell that to the business owners on those roads who insist they have customers who park on the street. Remember the St. Clair fiasco during construction when businness's where crying foul over lost revenue because their customers couldn't park outside their stores.
Personally tho I think cars should be banned outright from and city core.

Yeah... no parking on Queen, Dundas, King, etc., exposing pedestrians to car traffic, and risk getting splashed by water from rain or melted snow by passing cars. Sounds like a great idea.

Yeah... no parking on Queen, Dundas, King, etc., exposing pedestrians to car traffic, and risk getting splashed by water from rain or melted snow by passing cars. Sounds like a great idea.

Then we should allow parking on the suburban roads in the non-rush hour then. Sounds like a great idea.

I think it's safe to say, that during the first year of the Ford administration is not the time for No Parking on these streets!

Having Ford approve the removal of parking on major arterials would be like Rush Limbaugh saying he believes in man-made climate change.

Parallel parking = urban
No parallel parking = suburban

Why take away lanes to add parallel parking to suburban arterials when they don't have street retail...? Especially when there is enough room to add parallel parking without taking away lanes? I don't support implementing a one-size-fits-all policy for all major roads in the city just to satisfy some mean-spirited pro-urban agenda to screw over suburban bus riders.

If the sidewalks are wide enough on some stretches they can do what they do on Spadina where they have indentations in the sidewalk for parking and have 2 lanes free for driving.

If the sidewalks are wide enough on some stretches they can do what they do on Spadina where they have indentations in the sidewalk for parking and have 2 lanes free for driving.

Having the indents, or laybys as they are called, could allow parking on the suburban streets and still allow 2 lanes of traffic in each direction. Add a streetcar or light rail running down a medium and you almost get Transit City.

1834187_7ed0d141.jpg

Last edited:

Back