News   May 08, 2024
 92     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 392     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 609     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Indeed - from what I have seen, there must be far fewer bean counters in France than here! Seriously, considering that it is in Reims, I understand favouring aesthetics over cost. Here, well... who would notice?

Because Toronto is the national metropolis, I think more people notice here than in a small French city. Toronto has its beautiful cityscapes too, but elements along our streets like the groups of overhead wires and large wooden hydro poles distract people from the beauty of this city. Streetcar wires aren't the biggest aesthetic issue (beyond intersections, perhaps) because they're single wires supported by a single perpendicular wire along regularly placed intervals. However, I think we could also implement the wireless system on a limited basis in highly visible areas with significant civic importance, and architectural or natural beauty, provided that it was reliable in our climate.

New TTC Streetcars - Bahn 3.59

Hello,

I just wanted to share my picture of the new TTC Streetcar in action with my Bahn 3.59 Simulator.

BahnFlexityTTC.jpg

I understand that the new fleet is going to be 6-9 month late on being delivery due to ACAT.

Based on the number of issues that ACAT had with the proposed mock-up, it had to go under redesign, that has push everything back to the point that the real mock-up will not be here until the fall. The 2011 prototype is to show up in the 2 or 3 quarter of 2012 with the possibility of a 2nd one by year end. The 3rd one will follow as soon as possible after the 2nd one. They are going to try to get back on schedule with the prototype being built faster if they can.

We may see the first production cars late 2013 or early 2014 at this stage.

I understand that the new fleet is going to be 6-9 month late on being delivery due to ACAT.

That's a lot of redesign work, it can't just be minor interior changes.
Why did ACAT only get to review the design at the end and not provide feedback along the way?

If delivery is being pushed back, than surely the carhouse construction can be delayed 6-9 months too.
Is that the sound of a can of worms being opened I hear?

I was going to asked today what changes ACAT wanted that took the off the off the shelf model to a new design?............Oh!!!!.......We can make some more money by the supplier that's famous for this.

Had a 6:30 meeting to go to with TTC meeting ending at 5:30 and over an hour travel time to it. Was 15 minutes late.

ACAT is a mix bag for impute on things and off the wall a number of time where the accessibility community as a whole prefer it another way. I have had issues with some of their impute that made no sense for most accessibility riders in the first place. This is from talking accessibility riders over the years as what they needed to ride transit. Was told years ago why various routes were not class as accessibility and that had to do with ACAT not approving various stop. When I heard some of the reasons, I could only shake my head.

We will still get our say in the fall, not at the CNE as to what other changes need to take place.

Some french tram systems use the Alimentation Par Sol system. We discussed it earlier in this thread. It looks nicer than overhead wires, but it costs a lot more and is more unreliable.
They've improved the reliablity over the last 5-6 years, so now the failure rate is less than 1%. The technology could also be adapted for the Canadian climate as both Chicago and NYC use contact shoes on third rails on some mixed elevation lines. You just need good drainage and possible a heat trace.

I wonder if all this posturing about the carhouse is an attempt to kill the streetcar deal- and consequently the streetcar system.

It might just be snuck through with a last-minute bill by one of the Fordites.

After all, Mr. Munro's dislike for Ford goes well beyond transit; he takes every opportunity he can get to make impolite comments about the mayor, including name calling, on his website!

As a reader of Steve's website I must say that he backs up his distain for the Brothers Ford and their "transit policy' with facts and arguments and I am not sure I remember any 'name calling". If one believes in public transit as a public good (as Steve and I certainly do) it is virtually impossible NOT to be critical of the present regieme at City Hall. One may not always agree with Steve 100% but he does raise the kinds of questions that an independent Commissioner ought to and since we appear to have none that's a VERY good thing.

Yes, it is well-known that Mayor Ford and Councillor Ford do not like streetcars, but I don't believe that the choice of track alignment to the new carhouse plays a significant part in their supposed nefarious plan. There are much more direct ways to cancel the new streetcars, such as holding a press conference to say that Toronto is willing to pay a cancellation fee to opt out of the order.

Unfortunately, Ford isn't really willing to take the direct route when dealing with divisive issues. See the Fort York Bridge and the Jarvis Bike Lanes for two examples where "Ford's supporters" used last-minute bills to quickly pass Ford's plans.

The route to the streetcar house isn't the issue, but rather the possibility that the Fords could use delays, community squabbles and escalating costs for the yard as a platform from which to claim Toronto can no longer afford its streetcar system.

Toronto1 you make a good point about criticism/disdain. Some people their lost patience and their cool. Others just want to shout you down...

Last edited:
My original comment stands
Your original viewpoint is a gross exaggeration.

Let's look at it:

he takes every opportunity he can get to make impolite comments about the mayor, including name calling, on his website!

Your original point was that every opportunity he makes impolite comments about the mayor, including name calling. And yet you can't even find an example from this year?

Surely, "at every opportunity" should actually be "occasionally".

Hopefully even Rob Ford isn't stupid enough to cancel the streetcars.

Let's make it clear ... I take every opportunity to make impolite comments about the mayor - including name calling (and why not). There's a difference between at every opportunity - and once in a while.

Back