News   May 02, 2024
 209     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 155     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 206     0 

TTC: Easier Access Phase III

Uh Oh history might be re-visiting Rick Leary again:

TTC wont meet accessibility deadlines --> Lawsuit will be filled against TTC --> TTC/CEO will be forced to defend themselves --> Rick Leary will "retire" to avoid having to testify

Hopefully we dont have to wait that long until his inept self finally gets canned.

Lawsuit will be filled against TTC --> TTC/CEO will be forced to defend themselves
They'll simply amend the regulation before the effective date, to change the date, exempt existing transit stations, or exempt projects already under construction.

And why is THIS such an AODA when there isn't even a date set yet for schools to become compliant?

Donlands Station update from today.

996E49F2-2325-4176-94AF-C689EDBB098B.jpeg
1641CE70-4433-42C8-A985-B1F9C8C82068.jpeg

New Dewhurst entrance:

B4F3E52B-D279-4F1F-B2DC-67C5054BEF5B.jpeg

E5350C1A-95FE-4F9B-BD19-E1387C776196.jpeg

Easier access works are ramping up at Warden.

3 rather large construction trailers are sitting on the lawn outside the station

These are the sort of trailers you find at a condo or other such large project when you have dozens of site staff and are coordinating different works.

If I had to fathom a guess they are about to go full steam ahead on the bus bay project.

20231106_073714.jpg
20231106_073802.jpg

Does anyone know what happens when 1/1/2025 passes and stations are not accessible? are there any actual automatic sanctions beyond embarrassment, or would it require an affected citizen to go to court and seek an order to close the station pending completion, then the judge issues an order but stays the effect of it to June 2026?

Does anyone know what happens when 1/1/2025 passes and stations are not accessible? are there any actual automatic sanctions beyond embarrassment, or would it require an affected citizen to go to court and seek an order to close the station pending completion, then the judge issues an order but stays the effect of it to June 2026?

I can see a temporary exemption being put in place before stations are closed

Good question, maybe @smallspy would have insight.

There's this in the Act (regulations); but I'm not sure if that applies to Transit providers (nor am I sure as to how I would 'interpret' certain classifications:

1699623568189.png

1699623609433.png

Link here: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/110191#BK157

There's this in the Act (regulations); but I'm not sure if that applies to Transit providers (nor am I sure as to how I would 'interpret' certain classifications:

View attachment 519146
View attachment 519147

I'm not really sure that I can provide more insight, unfortunately.

Inside the TTC, there is obviously some concern about the schedule and the impending date, but the plans being made - at least the ones that I am aware of - do not involve the closure of stations or entrances. It does seem that the legislation does make allowances for attempts in good faith to comply through alternate means.

Dan

View attachment 519146
View attachment 519147

Penalties under the AODA only apply when there is a contravention of an AODA accessibility standard. There is nothing currently in the AODA standards linked above that require transit providers to make a subway station accessible, or for that matter, for any organization to retrofit buildings to install elevators.

Penalties under the AODA only apply when there is a contravention of an AODA accessibility standard. There is nothing currently in the AODA standards linked above that require transit providers to make a subway station accessible, or for that matter, for any organization to retrofit buildings to install elevators.

I couldn't find it either; though the TTC regularly indicates that their accessibility investments are statutory.

I couldn't find it either; though the TTC regularly indicates that their accessibility investments are statutory.

This may be because the TTC wants to avoid any chance of a human rights issue much like they did with the chimes, automated stop announcements, etc.

By making every station accessible, there is less of a chance people can claim discrimination or undue hardship based on a disability.

It's a "grandfather" situation. It is a provision in which an old rule continues to apply to some existing situations while a new rule will apply to all future cases. Those exempt from the new rule are said to have grandfather rights or acquired rights, or to have been grandfathered in. Frequently, the exemption is limited, as it may extend for a set time, or it may be lost under certain circumstances.

It's like historic automobiles (IE. Model T Ford) are exempt from having seatbelts.

The South Parking lot at Warden Station will be permanently closed as of today for the creation of a new bus terminal.

It appears I was right. Easier access works are going full steam ahead.

View attachment 521116
That has been the plan for years, but how to do it was an issue. It also was been held up as to how the lands where to be redeveloped and by whom.

The same goes for Islington

Nov 16
Looks like I am wrong when Yonge St would be open at College St as they were pouring the last of the roof for the new concourse and the 2nd entrance. Mos of the shoring has either been removed or cut off the slab level with a few more to be done.

Work taking place where the sidewalk will be rebuilt with the placing of hydro ducting and other unities This could be done by the end of the month along with building the sidewalk
53352131653_19eeab4113_b.jpg

53352232774_28b3c02cb6_b.jpg

53351031777_3c6e39deb5_b.jpg

Back