News   Jul 17, 2024
 103     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 719     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 615     0 

TTC: Customer Service

One scenario repeated many times in the videos is the active nature of the CCTV (closed circuit television) on the London Underground. There is someone watched the monitors and if an incident happens, the watcher takes appropriate action immediately instead of a passenger (or train driver or conductor) calling in.
This footage always seems to come from quite busy Tube stations and/or peak periods. At the same time, you do encounter unstaffed (scheduled, rather than simply having the collector gone with a back-in-5 notice) Tube stations, which you don't tend to see in Toronto.

Even a relatively busy station like Russell Square - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/stations/1000200.aspx is only staffed until 9:30 pm while quieter stations are only staffed for peak, if at all.

The difference being is that here you need always need to have a staff member for fare collection/enforcement.

The difference being is that here you need always need to have a staff member for fare collection/enforcement.

Why? There are lots of Metrocard- and token-only entrances. If we had vending machines that aren't out of the 1940s, they could be even easier.

The posting for citizens appointees for the Toronto Transit Commission is now online. See this link for more information and the application.

Required qualifications for citizen appointees

In addition to the general eligibility requirements set out in the Public Appointments Policy, citizen members of the TTC Board shall have directorship and executive-level experience and collectively represent a range of skills, knowledge and experience with one or more large organizations in the following areas:

• Strategic business management, including transformative change management;
  • Financial management, accounting, law, engineering;
  • Customer service or marketing management;
  • Management or planning with a rail or public transit organization;
  • Formulation and/or management of public-private partnerships;
  • Capital project/construction management or capital procurement/ supply chain management;
  • Operations and information technology;
  • Labour relations/industrial safety management;
  • Professional knowledge and working experience of urban sustainability, intersectionality and inclusive governance; and
  • Understanding and/or experience with Toronto Transit Commission operations.

Remuneration
Remuneration for citizen members of the TTC Board:

• $5,000 per year for citizen members other than the Vice-Chair;
  • $10,000 per year for the citizen Vice-Chair; and
  • a per diem for all citizen members of the TTC Board of $450 per meeting attended.
No remuneration is paid to Members of Council who serve on the TTC Board.

Optional information sessions dates and locations

Monday, June 18, 2012
Toronto City Hall
100 Queen Street West

Monday, June 18, 2012
Etobicoke Civic Centre
399 The West Mall

Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Scarborough Civic Centre
150 Borough Drive

Tuesday, June 19, 2012
North York Civic Centre
5100 Yonge Street

All sessions are from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Drop in - no registration needed!

This should be interesting...

TTC customer complaints over past 10 years to be reviewed by Ryerson
Aim of review is to find areas of improvement, spot trends

The TTC has asked a pair of Ryerson University academics to review a decade's worth of customer feedback in order to better understand its ridership's grievances.
The transit body has asked Roy Morley and Murtaza Haider to examine as many as 300,000 incident records to track patterns from complaints and suggestions lodged by customers dating back to 2002....

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/local/article/1375543--ttc-customer-complaints-over-past-10-years-to-be-reviewed-by-ryerson

Looking forward to the findings. I recall interviewing TTC reps on whether customers had faith in the complaint process. I was told they never did a satisfaction study of people making complaints. Why? Because they did not get complaints about the process itself.

No recollection of whether I was too stunned to then ask whether someone who has reduced faith in lodging a complaint would bother...

-ed

That seems odd, given how many complaints I made on-line about the complaint process. Surely, I was not the only one.

Instead of studying the existing complaints data, which might already be subjected to selection effects - perhaps they should move to an end-to-end mystery shopper approach, inclusive of the use of the complaint process. Who really cares about what happened 10 years ago (of course, the cynical side of me would say that's exactly why they wanted to study it - just to be able to say things have changed now).

AoD

Last edited:
TTC has done quite a bit of mystery shopping in the past little while (I do the odd shop on the side).

The part I was involved in was reporting back on customer service on specific routes (there were lots of them -- bus and streetcar) over a period of a couple of months. There were questions re drivers, accuracy of ETA signs, wait times, cleanliness, etc.

Ticket number 75737

So, deciding to again test the TTC's online complaint form, I submitted a suggestion on June 18 regarding crowd flow at College station.

The subsequent page gave me "Reference Number #75737". No response yet. I tweeted to Chris Upfold later that years of experience has left me with low expectations of this process of communicating via ttc.ca.

Still of note is the apparent lack of desire on ttc.ca to solicit feedback/corrections about the site itself. The online form is geared to vehicle and service issues.

-Ed

PS: Got my eye on this old thread: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...TC.ca-Route-Schedules-(Official-Thread)/page2

Back