News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 644     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 969     0 

TTC: Customer Service

Good, then the union should say "we're investigating the matter and the appropriate disciplinary actions will be taken" as opposed to tossing blame everyplace else.

Good, then the union should say "we're investigating the matter and the appropriate disciplinary actions will be taken" as opposed to tossing blame everyplace else.

Those things are done by management. The union is there to provide support or fight allegations. You would be surprised the weird complaints that are submitted to the TTC about our employees. You would laugh. However; when your caught red handed such as the sleeping collector the union can only provide support, their not defending what he did just giving possible reasons. Their job is to protect its member. Its managements job to investigate and discipline.

True enough, but I still don't think they should be hollering the way they are. And it's not just this union. I've heard far too many people say "doesn't matter what I do, the union will protect me" and that attitude definitely removes incentive to do a good day's work. But that's veering off topic ... which is TTC and customer service that more and more frequently appears to be an oxymoron.

True enough, but I still don't think they should be hollering the way they are. And it's not just this union. I've heard far too many people say "doesn't matter what I do, the union will protect me" and that attitude definitely removes incentive to do a good day's work. But that's veering off topic ... which is TTC and customer service that more and more frequently appears to be an oxymoron.

That particular attitude did not help the driver that took the 7min coffee break. Remember it wasn't the 7min coffee break that got him into trouble, it was more along the lines of what he said. The union did not defend his outcome because all sides were in agreement. He simply shouldn't have said what he said. Nobody is untouchable, union or not.

Just because your in a union doesnt mean your untouchable.

True. But it's damn near close. In another place (even maybe another government outfit) an employee who's completely passed out in such a front-line position would be severely disciplined (health issues or not). Yet, of the three who were caught snoozing, not one has been disciplined. That driver was the only one who has faced any discipline. Did the guy who stopped a streetcar at close to rush hour to use the ATM get disciplined? What about the guy who was photographed buying a falafel after abandoning his streetcar within walking distance of the station?

I think the whole bathroom breaks thing is a red herring. Of course TTC employees are entitled to bathroom breaks, and they may do so on company time when they're at the end of the line or whatever. That said, if occasionally they REALLY need to go while in the middle of their route, I don't think anyone would begrudge them if they took a quick 2-3 minute pee break at a Tim Hortons, especially if they informed their passengers why and how long they'd be. Going to an ATM or getting food though is out of the question though.

True. But it's damn near close. In another place (even maybe another government outfit) an employee who's completely passed out in such a front-line position would be severely disciplined (health issues or not). Yet, of the three who were caught snoozing, not one has been disciplined. That driver was the only one who has faced any discipline. Did the guy who stopped a streetcar at close to rush hour to use the ATM get disciplined? What about the guy who was photographed buying a falafel after abandoning his streetcar within walking distance of the station?

I cant really tell you if they were disciplined or not but if they were caught with evidence than its TTC brass that has to discipline him. The union will not dispute it if there are facts, however; they will provide support any way they can. You have to remember these are all internal matters, the TTC is not going to report every action it takes against its employees. You will only hear about the ones that have been sensationalized in the media. Every company disciplines its employees but their not going to report it to the public. Just because you haven't heard anything about it doesn't mean nothing was done. I can tell you for a fact the TTC does look at customer complaints and acts on them.

Last edited:
^ I'd love to know what happened to those employees because obviously those complaints were in the public sphere.

And this is one of my main beefs against unions. They protect their members even when they are caught doing something wrong. So where's the incentive to do a job properly if you've got someone who will back you and make sure your job is intact no matter how badly you screw up? What's the point in doing a good job when your co-worker who does a bad job gets the same rewards that you do.

This happens in private industry as well but rarely below the executive level.

Many executives, particularly ones in demand, have an insurance package in their employment contract which covers for them in the event things go badly for them because of something they did or something they are simply getting blamed for. These typically centre around resignation, sometimes even including press release wording, and assistance in finding new employment and paying the bills between jobs but the concept is the same.

It is extremely common when you know you are being hired to take blame for other peoples actions (cleanup problems that are not publicly known yet) as part of the job is actually getting fired at the end of it.

and yet, the public is being taped 24/7.

so that's what i am trying to say. instead of acting like kids playing tag, u got me and i got you, why don't people just learn to work together? i read some of kandaman's post and i agree with it as well. we have to start looking at why these people, whether it's the riders or the workers, are behaving the way they are and how to solve the problem.

Just another in an unending stream of "jumping the shark" moments for Toronto.

ATU 113 got itself in this mess with the wildcat strike a couple of years ago. Management didn't help, but were forced into their current behaviour because of budget restraints caused by very limited source of revenue for operations from fares, and municipal, provincial, and federal governments (in most cases, none).

This happens in private industry as well but rarely below the executive level.

Many executives, particularly ones in demand, have an insurance package in their employment contract which covers for them in the event things go badly for them because of something they did or something they are simply getting blamed for. These typically centre around resignation, sometimes even including press release wording, and assistance in finding new employment and paying the bills between jobs but the concept is the same.

It is extremely common when you know you are being hired to take blame for other peoples actions (cleanup problems that are not publicly known yet) as part of the job is actually getting fired at the end of it.

You bring up a good point. It's not uncommon for corporate executives to receive golden parachutes when they're forced to resign even if it's due to bad performance. Robert Nardelli, for example, was CEO of Home Depot whose share price plummeted before he was ousted by the Board for bad performance and Mr. Nardelli was paid $210 Million after resigning as part of his severance package. And then after being fired for doing a bad job at Home Depot, he was immediately hired by Chrysler and we know how that's turning out. They live in a different world and the public just accepts it.

But two wrongs don't make a right and Mr. Kinnear's tirade in blaming everyone but his union members just throws flames into the fire with his righteous attitude that typifies some of the members he represents.

Last edited:

Back