News   Jul 19, 2024
 858     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.8K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

TTC: Customer Service

Joe, you're missing the point. You're free to suggest that we as a society should be less accepting of low standards. But what ShonTron was saying, and I agree with him 100%, is that a debate over route announcements is no excuse for such nastiness. It's one thing to say that people are too accepting of errors, that people are being unprofessional, that others are wrong or their statements incorrect or even nonsense, but calling other human beings POS because they are, in your opinion, pronouncing something wrong, is to lose perspective.

I have noticed a few times the external route announcement system on 38A buses is announcing "A Message" rather than the route, each time the route display on the front of the bus was correct.

What is the rule regarding buses stopping at every designated stop to pick up passengers?

My wife started taking the bus to the subway and mentioned that on numerous occasions, the bus that is supposed to stop at that location simply drives right by, even though it is clearly in service, not full and is designated to stop at that stop number. She has talked to others who wait there in the morning as well and they just shrugged and said,"Sometimes they don't feel like stopping here. It's normal."

Although irrelevant, this bus stop isn't one of the timed stops so it's not a major pickup location, however this is the only bus that stops here so any waiting passenger couldn't possibly be waiting for anything but that bus. The other day, my wife said not 1, but 2, active marked buses with some passengers on it, just drove right by. These buses are nowhere near full capacity. She ended up waiting 15 minutes for a bus that's supposed to come every 5 minutes.

Needless to say, we've written into the TTC citing the latest incident but I also requested them contact me as I'd like to know what the acceptable rationale behind this can possibly be. Has anyone ever encountered such a thing? Anyone know what criteria a driver is allowed to use to evaluate whether they can just skip a stop despite people waiting?

They must stop. I see it occasionally, but not very often.

If it happens frequently, I have to wonder if the passenger is doing something wrong. Are they standing clearly at the edge of the curb, to the left of the sign?

Sometimes I've seen buses pass stops where the person is standing in or near the shelter, and not actually at the sign. Or people who haven't quite gotten to the stop yet, and the driver hasn't realized they weren't just walking along the sidewalk.

If one is doing everything right, take note of the bus number, and file reports with customer service.

I can't imagine it is deliberate. The last think the driver wants to deal with is complaints to customer service.

Last edited:
This happened to me once on Arrow Road; while anyone can ride the 99 bus, it is more an employee shuttle between Arrow Road Garage and the 84, 36, and 35 bus routes. The driver either didn't want to pick me up, or was on autopilot.

This happened to me once on Arrow Road; while anyone can ride the 99 bus, it is more an employee shuttle between Arrow Road Garage and the 84, 36, and 35 bus routes. The driver either didn't want to pick me up, or was on autopilot.
Usually they come along a Jane bus and the driver didn't know if you want their bus. I suggest waving to the driver as they might not see you there. Especially when it's dark, waving will let the driver know that you're there and you intend to board. Standing motionless doesn't help.

Also when buses are in a hurry and the stop is served by multiple routes or branches, they might miss you. When 2-3 buses show up at once with different destinations, don't stand at the stop and hope the bus you want will pull in. A lot of driver sees a bus pull in and the ones behind just skips your stop. Walk behind the bus that pulled in and let the bus you want know that you intend to board.

Sometimes driver (which are human after all) day dreams or got something else on their mind with all the CIS messages they are getting didn't realize someone is at the stop. It would happen more often to drivers that don't usually drive that route and isn't familiar with the stop locations.

Usually they come along a Jane bus and the driver didn't know if you want their bus. I suggest waving to the driver as they might not see you there. Especially when it's dark, waving will let the driver know that you're there and you intend to board. Standing motionless doesn't help.

Also when buses are in a hurry and the stop is served by multiple routes or branches, they might miss you. When 2-3 buses show up at once with different destinations, don't stand at the stop and hope the bus you want will pull in. A lot of driver sees a bus pull in and the ones behind just skips your stop. Walk behind the bus that pulled in and let the bus you want know that you intend to board.

I WAS ON Arrow Road. No other bus stops there, except the rush hour only 84 branch.

They must stop. I see it occasionally, but not very often.

If it happens frequently, I have to wonder if the passenger is doing something wrong. Are they standing clearly at the edge of the curb, to the left of the sign?

Sometimes I've seen buses pass stops where the person is standing in or near the shelter, and not actually at the sign. Or people who haven't quite gotten to the stop yet, and the driver hasn't realized they weren't just walking along the sidewalk.

If one is doing everything right, take note of the bus number, and file reports with customer service.

I can't imagine it is deliberate. The last think the driver wants to deal with is complaints to customer service.

We're still awaiting a formal response from the TTC. My wife made a concerted effort to ensure she was clearly visible and stood right next to the bus stop. After having this occur on multiple occasions, different days, what else is one to do? If you wave at the driver, they may interpret that as you waving them through. :confused:

In any case, we are going to note the bus number next time (we only noted the time of day previously) and will submit another complaint if it arises again. Hopefully we won't need to resort to recording this on video and posting to Facebook and Twitter...

In any case, we are going to note the bus number next time (we only noted the time of day previously) and will submit another complaint if it arises again. Hopefully we won't need to resort to recording this on video and posting to Facebook and Twitter...

Squeaky wheels get the grease, especially when dealing with an ossified organization that gives little hoot to service like the TTC - that should be the first approach after the consistency in error is established.

AoD

What is the rule regarding buses stopping at every designated stop to pick up passengers?

My wife started taking the bus to the subway and mentioned that on numerous occasions, the bus that is supposed to stop at that location simply drives right by, even though it is clearly in service, not full and is designated to stop at that stop number. She has talked to others who wait there in the morning as well and they just shrugged and said,"Sometimes they don't feel like stopping here. It's normal."

Although irrelevant, this bus stop isn't one of the timed stops so it's not a major pickup location, however this is the only bus that stops here so any waiting passenger couldn't possibly be waiting for anything but that bus. The other day, my wife said not 1, but 2, active marked buses with some passengers on it, just drove right by. These buses are nowhere near full capacity. She ended up waiting 15 minutes for a bus that's supposed to come every 5 minutes.

Needless to say, we've written into the TTC citing the latest incident but I also requested them contact me as I'd like to know what the acceptable rationale behind this can possibly be. Has anyone ever encountered such a thing? Anyone know what criteria a driver is allowed to use to evaluate whether they can just skip a stop despite people waiting?
I honestly have started to wave at the bus if I realize they're not slowing down.

I had one driver drive right past me, in the left lane, while talking to someone. That was inexcusable.

Hello forum members,

I didn't know where to put this so thought I'd raise my question here. I'm trying to get to the Dixon Road and Atwell Dr area for a meeting at 6:00 pm on Monday. I will be coming from Mississauga and taking the 57 Courtneypark bus to Renforth Dr and Convair. I'll get there around 5:30ish. I need to connect with 112 West Mall to complete my journey. However the schedules up on ttc.ca state that there's no 112 service north of Eglinton after 1:00 pm. Is this true? I'm really in a hurry to get to my appointment, otherwise I'd connect with 7 Airport to Dixon and walk the rest of the way.

Please if anyone knows the 112 schedule well (like what's the frequency of service) and can help me find it it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

Back