News   Jul 17, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 620     0 

TTC Cartography, Signage, and Wayfinding

Oh, that reminds me of something. That map is about the only bit of signage in the UP trains where the French isn't gibberish:

Not to mention the English capitalization ("Emergency use Only").... who the hell wrote these?

Not to mention the English capitalization ("Emergency use Only").... who the hell wrote these?

I have no idea. It's also not the first time that Metrolinx has screwed up the French (I think the Presto site or app might have had some issues). Would signage inside vehicles like this be part of the manufacturer's responsibility, or does Metrolinx deal with it once the vehicles have been delivered?

Wow that French is AWFUL.

I'm a native speaker and I didn't understand some of it (thank goodness for the pictograms).

Can't you just hire someone from Montreal to take a quick looksee? Isn't like 75% of the provincial government bilingual??

didn't go transit admit to using google translate for some of there things in french I wonder if metrolinx i that for the UP express as well. Also I noticed when I was on it for the free rides it was refereed to as "Up Express" in english and as translation of the full name in french for the anoucments

didn't go transit admit to using google translate for some of there things in french I wonder if metrolinx i that for the UP express as well. Also I noticed when I was on it for the free rides it was refereed to as "Up Express" in english and as translation of the full name in french for the anoucments
I know a few people who work for Metrolinx, and a few others who worked on the stations, and they all call it "Up Express".

I'm a native speaker and I didn't understand some of it (thank goodness for the pictograms).

Can't you just hire someone from Montreal to take a quick looksee? Isn't like 75% of the provincial government bilingual??
Some of the English on their transit system, what little there is, is pretty cringe worthy too.

That's pretty bad. In English it seems you slide the door open in an emergency, but in French the doors just open on their own? Or are already open maybe?

There's no shortage of francophone language professionals in the Toronto area that (presumably) Metrolinx could have turned to, and it's not as if getting it translated properly would have been a huge expense in the scheme of things.

I think GO had some kind of standard excuse about the French not being the final copy, pressed for time, production error, external supplier, etc.

I ran a few English sentences from the UP Express signage through Google Translate and it didn't generate anything as meaningless or garbled as what's on these signs. It really looks like it was done piecemeal by one or more people who have no real knowledge of French and/or someone using an automated translation tool that is a lot worse than Google (which is pretty decent, allowing for the fact that context is something machine translation still struggles with).

For example, in the emergency instructions where it tells passengers to communicate with personnel by intercom ('Talk to crew'), 'crew' has been parsed as a verb (to equip with crew members, to man, e.g., a ship). Who would seriously parse the sentence that way to get the French 'Parler pour armer', 'talk in order to crew'? Even Google gives the fairly reasonable 'parler à l'équipage' (talk to the crew) for this. It's astounding that it got this far.

Some of the English on their transit system, what little there is, is pretty cringe worthy too.

Yeah, but that's at least done by someone with a working familiarity with the language (and slightly wonky English is par for the course in Montreal). What's in the UP trains is probably the result of cheaping out by getting someone with almost no clue about French to cobble it together from machine-generated snippets.

I noticed that they are introducing new line maps. Really impressed by them:

095map.gif

195map.gif

Only real critique I have with them is if they try and implement some of this style on the new system map (which I hope they do), the green express colour may make them blend in with the Bloor-Danforth line.

Back