News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

TTC: Automatic Train Control and Subway Platform Screen Doors

In a perfect scenario obviously that's true. But with the small stations having poor ingress/egress like those found south of Eglinton I think it actually may make things worse. You cram more in where there isn't room, you create a slower outflow at the other end, and likely more conflict points (where there already are conflict points). This worsened turbulent flow will naturally ripple down line. Basic physics is one reason why many "extra capacity" claims for Lines 1 and 2 are bs.

They couldn't even clear the train fast enough during rush, much less speed up boarding. Good luck with their rosy projections. Turbulent flow is like the name of Y+B.

AoD

When did this start? I went to Yorkdale a few days ago and thought it was faster than usual, but I was reading a book so wasn't pay a whole lot of attention.

It turns out they are still in the testing stages of ATC. Dupont to Yorkdale will revert back to conventional signals during the next schedule closure.

That's not quite the plan as I understand it.

The current plan is that the ATC/ATO will be run for 2 weeks. At the end of the two weeks, during the next closure, they will tweak the performance parameters of the system and test it. If everything is successful with the new parameters, they will end the closure and continue to run the system. If not, then they'll either try to revert to the previous settings, or - as a worst-case scenario - they will deactivate the ATC/ATO and revert back to the old signal system while they make the necessary changes.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That's not quite the plan as I understand it.

The current plan is that the ATC/ATO will be run for 2 weeks. At the end of the two weeks, during the next closure, they will tweak the performance parameters of the system and test it. If everything is successful with the new parameters, they will end the closure and continue to run the system. If not, then they'll either try to revert to the previous settings, or - as a worst-case scenario - they will deactivate the ATC/ATO and revert back to the old signal system while they make the necessary changes.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Dan, do you (or anyone else, do you) know much about the new (visual) signals for the ATC. I know the old signal aspects have been largely covered over with black plastic and I assume they'll eventually be decommissioned and removed once the change over to the new system is fully functional and working smoothly.

There are new signal lights which are labelled "CW" at Dupont, and St. Clair West entering tunnel NB and they are labelled "LW" leaving Glencairn NB and Lawrence West SB. From what I've seen they are red immediately after a train leaves and then sometimes go to amber and then FLASHING green and other times directly to flashing green. When the next train passes they switch again to red. Can the operator only press the start button (after doors are closed) if the light is flashing green? What happens if it's pressed while red? And what does amber mean- the same as the old system that the next light is red?

Finally, what determines where these new signals are placed. Is it where ATC begins (Dupont NB and Yorkdale SB) as well as approaching any interlockings? Any and all comments are as always most appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry if it's already been asked before, but will ATC improve turnaround times at the termini? Currently I get really annoyed heading to Finch as there is a good 5 to ten minute delay pulling into the station during rush hour.

Sorry if it's already been asked before, but will ATC improve turnaround times at the termini? Currently I get really annoyed heading to Finch as there is a good 5 to ten minute delay pulling into the station during rush hour.
We will probably find out in a months time when the new section opens up with ATC only.

It will be interesting to see if ATC holds back trains so that they don't get to the end of the line too soon and bunch up. That won't make the trip faster, but it would make headways different. Will also be interesting to see whether terminal dwell times go down. There's a minimum time that a turning train needs in the terminal to unload, load, change crew, etc. and that is the limiting factor in bunching....although, with virtual blocking, trains may bunch up a lot closer together at the end of the line instead of being separated by the fixed block length.

- Paul

It will be interesting to see if ATC holds back trains so that they don't get to the end of the line too soon and bunch up. That won't make the trip faster, but it would make headways different. Will also be interesting to see whether terminal dwell times go down. There's a minimum time that a turning train needs in the terminal to unload, load, change crew, etc. and that is the limiting factor in bunching....although, with virtual blocking, trains may bunch up a lot closer together at the end of the line instead of being separated by the fixed block length.

- Paul

Also with only 1 crew member on the train it cuts down crew changes in half.

I've never witnessed 2 crew members of a subway change off at the same time.

Also with only 1 crew member on the train it cuts down crew changes in half.

I've never witnessed 2 crew members of a subway change off at the same time.

With ATC, that crew member does not have to be in the front cab, just has to be on the train itself. If they don't step off it and forget to get back on in time.

With ATC, that crew member does not have to be in the front cab, just has to be on the train itself. If they don't step off it and forget to get back on in time.

Is that the plan? I had thought the plan was for the "driver" to work the doors from the front end, initiating the "start" and watching the track ahead - but not doing any hands-on "driving". (I forget how or why I understood it this way, maybe it was just supposition)

- Paul

With ATC, that crew member does not have to be in the front cab ...

Absolutely not the case for TTC at this time. The job of the driver is still to watch for people/obstructions on the track, people fallen off the platform (or just standing too close to the edge), in addition to running the doors.

Track-level trespassing (purposeful) on the subway is close to a daily occurrence.

Last edited:
Is that the plan? I had thought the plan was for the "driver" to work the doors from the front end, initiating the "start" and watching the track ahead - but not doing any hands-on "driving". (I forget how or why I understood it this way, maybe it was just supposition)

- Paul

Walter likes to take some liberties with the truth. Or if he doesn't know, make it up on the fly.

The operator will need to be in the front cab and press a button to close the doors and start the train moving. As much for monitoring the train as it runs between the stations, the onboard platform-monitoring systems only will display in the front car as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Now is the opportunity to refine platform-dwell positioning at Union TTC station.

I noticed that pedestrian flows at some doorways are 2x faster if the train is shifted 2 meters sideways, due to blockages from narrow passageways. Some sets of doors open near the ends of them.

Someone from TTC needs to go to Union -- measure out ideal platform dwell positioning that has maximum # of train doors facing wide spaces -- and program the ideal exact Union platform dwell positioning of the train into the ATC.

A freebie in slight peak-period crowd-efficiency improvement.

Last edited:

Back