News   Jul 15, 2024
 442     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 550     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

TTC April 2008 Strike Thread

Forget everything I said about unions in the other thread. To hell with them, everyone I argued with has my apologies.

Well this is certanly going to be a shitstorm tonight and tommorrow morning, I can see pretty much all taxis heading down town about now.

I would not say all unions are bad. I am in one, but ten years ago they where smart enough to sign a no strike agreement, it works out better in the end actually

I wonder how Mr. Kinnear can continue to lead being 65% out of touch with his membership?

From an article on the citytv news website.

We have assessed the situation and decided that we will not expose our members to the dangers of assaults from angry and irrational members of the public," said Bob Kinnear, ATU Local 113 President.

The reports from our members of increases in threats and abuse from passengers last weekend, after we gave our original 48-hours' notice, has left us no choice but to withdraw our services immediately. We have a legal responsibility to protect the safety of our members and so does the TTC."

If anything good can come out of this is that Bob Kinnear could very well be on the way out. He's too antagonistic, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Union Executive, who walked out on the meeting earlier this week, is using this as a way to ouster him, as they never really approved of him anyway

Wow. No 48 hour notice, no leadership here. If they can't accept a sweet deal like the one they got, then what else do they want?

I had absolutely no idea that this was coming. Just like 2006 all over again.

I think what we're seeing here is that drivers (who were very happy) are not willing to screw over mechanics (who we're not happy with the deal). We saw the same thing at U of T Scarborough on the U-Pass.

It goes to show you that people aren't as greedy as we might think.

Pardon the double post but I got this from another forum:

Scanner: "The collector at Queen has locked himself in the janitor's room to escape the angry mob, I think we need TPS on scene."

This is not what it should come to... :eek:

We have assessed the situation and decided that we will not expose our members to the dangers of assaults from angry and irrational members of the public," said Bob Kinnear, ATU Local 113 President.

The reports from our members of increases in threats and abuse from passengers last weekend, after we gave our original 48-hours' notice, has left us no choice but to withdraw our services immediately. We have a legal responsibility to protect the safety of our members and so does the TTC."

Wow. What an asshole. Nice excuse for stranding TTC customers. Who's more "angry and irrational"? Customers stranded, or a militant, strike happy union?

My apologies for the language, but this guy's proven himself as such for a second such occasion, at least. The ATU has redeemed itself from its recent more reasonable stance, working without a new contract for two (two!) weeks.

They would have kept some illusion of goodwill by holding off until Sunday night.

I think he assessed the fact that people want to bash in HIS skull.

This is totally unacceptable!

"It's not about money, but job security" - just heard this right now on CP24.

Who the hell has job security nowadays?

Its not unreasonable to want job security. If your job was going to be outsourced to china, i'm sure you would be pretty pissed off too.

Wow. No 48 hour notice, no leadership here. If they can't accept a sweet deal like the one they got, then what else do they want?

they want brains!

107469e2c11cc2d9_p.jpg

Who the hell has job security nowadays?

prostitutes, drug dealers and grave diggers just to name a few. ;)

Back