News   Jul 15, 2024
 325     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 491     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 554     0 

TTC April 2008 Strike Thread

Given his response, he might just be 1) the 65% that voted for the strike and 2) someone who wouldn't have qualms about stranding passengers. In order words, someone best left to serve in the sanitation industry, where he probably wouldn't have to worry about garbage talking back.

AoD

The driver's job is not just to drive. They are also responsible for customer satisfaction since they are on the front line. Responding like that to a customer in any private company would result in a lost job. Or, at least, a serious penalty. That they would speak back to their customers in this manner speaks volumes.
I dunno, I think the woman was being a bit of a bitch. I'd say she deserved a good telling off. Sure, you're pissed off about the strike, everyone is. Doesn't mean you have to take it out on your driver who may or may not have voted for the contract. While his reaction may have been extreme, imagine having the same "get insulted/cursed at by a rider" scenario repeat all day. Every human being has a point where they just don't care anymore.

why don't they quit if they cannot handle the stress.

If I call Rogers complaining my cable's been down for two days, I wouldn't expect to be snarkily told to "get a satellite dish like everybody else."

Something is seriously wrong with the TTC's culture.

See, the TTC driver can only respond as such because he knows he has the union behind him. Unions suck.

What that woman said was nothing. She wasn't swearing at him and verbally abusing him. The guy was just an asshole, much like many other TTC employees i've had the displeasure of dealing with. They have no respect for the folks that put food on their table at all.

If you require the ttc drivers to take courses that teach them how to deal with cusomters we're likely looking at another pake hike :) so I'm not sure we want to go that route.

I've seen many comments regarding the actuall wage increase they were given - private / public unions on average have been getting 3% a year so this is in no way outragous.

Yes it seems bus drivers in the GTA get paid a heck of a lot compared to the rest of North America but that's the market ... if anything it implies the demand for bus drivers is high which isn't a bad thing.

The TTC must pay them at that rate if other transit agencies are getting similar deals ... the wage increase seems appropriate.

Regarding the whole outsourcing bit I think a few artciles in the star point to the vote being more of a result from wild rummors spreading in the 5 day period until the vote ... to be honest I wouldn't be supprised if the drivers / mechanics didn't really even know most of the issues at hand.

To me this points to a clear problem in the higher brass at the TTC ... some restructing needs to go on.

And for heaven sakes someone fix the bunching problem once and for all ... that alone would be equivlent to adding a huge number of busses, why can they see that???!!! :confused:

I think we should start a petision regarding the above ... this isn't the thread for that though.

Are you kidding? People actually believe that's acceptable? What that driver said is wildly out of line. It doesn't shock me, because I've heard much worse from TTC employees, but it's still totally unacceptable. Can you imagine somebody saying something like that to a customer in any other industry?

you see The TTC does not see you or me as a customers but as a hassle.

A hassle as you make them work and you know the TTC people do not like to work....

Personally, I just went about my day like the strike never happened. A Bobby Ewing dream sequence sorta thing, or something

Everything looked fine to me...
If anything I found the routes I used didn't really have as many passengers as usual, anyone else notice that?

I guess if you make plans for the strike you'll likely stick through with them.

I don't really care, frankly, what people said to him all day. It's a customer service job. I know people can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but that's the job that you're paid for. No matter how annoying customers at a store can be, you don't swear at them and tell them to stop coming.

Coup at TTC union blamed for strike

Dissenters on board pushed for walkout
JEFF GRAY

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

April 29, 2008 at 3:51 AM EDT

The internal politics of the TTC's largest union are to blame for the weekend's surprise public-transit strike, sources say, as a faction within Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113 tried to mount a "coup" to scupper the union's tentative agreement and take down its leader.

The move against union president Bob Kinnear - which culminated on Friday night in the rank-and-file vote against the deal that he supported - was orchestrated by maintenance representatives on the union's executive board and led by union executive vice-president Kevin Morton, a union source said. "He's the guy leading the coup to get Bob out," said the source, who spoke with The Globe and Mail on condition of anonymity.

Mr. Morton, a former representative of the union's collectors and clerical workers, could not be reached for comment yesterday. Staff at the union's Wilson Avenue headquarters said he was not available.

The union is notoriously fractious, and it was maintenance workers, known for their militancy - partly, union insiders say, because, unlike drivers, they do not have to face the riding public - who were behind the one-day illegal strike that shut down the system in 2006. This latest split intensified on April 20, when Mr. Kinnear - notably without any fellow union leaders flanking him - told reporters he and his executive board had reached a deal with TTC managers to avert a strike the next morning.

However, seven members of the 16-member executive board, including maintenance representatives and Mr. Morton, had refused to sign the tentative deal and left the hotel north of the city where talks took place. They objected, one union source said, to the fact that a 10-cent-an-hour premium for skilled trades workers had been raised 25 cents, and not 50 cents.

The rest of the executive board had decided that striking for such a small issue simply wasn't on, the source said, because they "weren't going to take the city out for a quarter."

The dissenters, in an effort to "sell this to the other members," then began to raise the other issues that are believed to have led not just maintenance workers but many drivers to vote down the deal, including fears - called unfounded and "misinformation" by management - that the TTC planned to contract out more bus maintenance and lay off workers.

Those fears about contracting out were not shared by all union members, the source added: "We've got the best contracting-out language anywhere. And they've been told that by our lawyers and everything."

TTC general manager Gary Webster - whose voice could be heard yesterday reading a recorded apology to riders on the transit system's public address system - put out a statement on the transit agency's website aimed at employees.

On contracting out, it reads: "Nothing has changed. We continue to ensure that our employees are not laid off or terminated as a direct result of contracting out work."

Still, this issue and others turned a union meeting Wednesday night on the deal into a tense, shouting-filled four-hour affair, sources said, with maintenance union members outnumbering others by as much as 2-1.

On Friday, voting took place at various TTC locations and as counting began in the evening it became clear the deal was going down to defeat. The executive board debated whether to give the city the 48-hour notice that was promised earlier, whether to allow service to wrap up as usual early Saturday, or whether to walk out immediately.

The union's board voted to shut the system down as soon as possible, for fear that the often-drunken late-night crowds on the TTC might assault drivers or even damage TTC vehicles. And Mr. Kinnear was not moved by pleas from Mayor David Miller or TTC chairman Adam Giambrone to reconsider the decision.

In a phone interview yesterday, Mr. Kinnear said he sympathized with passengers left stranded - adding that his own daughter was caught without a way to get home - but said he would not apologize for the sudden strike. He said the TTC should have warned the public that it was a possibility, and singled out comments made by Mr. Giambrone last week playing down the potential for a no vote.

Mr. Kinnear, who stayed well out of the spotlight for most of the tense weekend, would say little yesterday about the politics dividing his union and threatening his leadership.

Despite the voting down of the deal, he vowed to stay on, citing the 80-per-cent vote he won in December, 2006, earning him a second three-year term that is up next year. He also insisted he has the support of his members and even of executive board members who were critical of the tentative deal.

"This is not unusual in our local to have differing opinions," Mr. Kinnear said. "... As far as a coup attempt, I am going to leave those issues ... and we'll sort those issues out internally."

Wages in transit

If TTC workers had accepted the contract offer it would have put them near the top of transit wage-earners in North America.

TOP HOURLY WAGE RATES OF UNIONIZED TRANSIT WORKERS
Operator Mechanic Effective date
Calgary Transit $26.83 $35.15 June 23, 2008
GO Transit $27.63 $30.43 January, 2008
Coast Mountain (Greater Vancouver) $27.52 $32.89 Apr. 1, 2008
TTC $27.38 $33.28 Offer rejected
Mississauga Transit $26.63 $31.31 Oct. 1, 2007
Brampton Transit $26.49 $32.09 July 1, 2008
OC Transpo (Ottawa) $24.23 $28.69 Apr. 1, 2007
New York Transit $26.92*
Chicago Transit Auth. $26.82* *in U.S. dollars

Back