News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 692     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 312     0 

Tsunami was God's revenge for your wicked ways, women told

Re: Tsunami was God's revenge for your wicked ways, women to

Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you.

-George Carlin

Islamic nuts and Christian nuts have so much in common...

Perhaps, but all things being equal I'd rather get on a plane with the one of the Christian variety.

welcome.gif

LOL adma!

you got one for every scenerio and it's amazing how you recall all these scenes.

So what about the book of revelations? It is a story, a rewriting of the book of Daniel. So what? And pardon me if I am wrong about the Daniel part. The bible is just one book of fiction that I have read, one among many others.

I am perplexed by biblical literalism. I think it is small-time thinking in an immense universe. There is supposed to be a powerful god with an entire range of human prejudices. People cower, tremble and fear this god becuase eventually this god will allow the entire population of the planet to be wiped out. Some will even get cooked in hell forever because they committed some supposed minor trangression like sleeping with a married person, or masturbating (the forever-in-hell part is an error in logical thinking since forever would have to include all the past as well as the future).

Sounds pretty nasty and mean spirited. Like, where's the love?

1)

The bible is just one book of fiction that I have read, one among many others.

So the Bible is a work of fiction. Prove it! Is it 100% fiction? Is it science fiction, or something like the Da Vinci Code, or what?

2)

OK... if you have read the Bible, tell me where you got this from?

Some will even get cooked in hell forever because they committed some supposed minor trangression like sleeping with a married person, or masturbating

... and please don't give me random verses taken out of context.

As a Christian, i'm 100% certain that:

1> God rolls his/her eyes everytime somebody suggests something like Katrina was really just him/her "sending people a message" or "giving them an opportunity too...."

2> God is really dissappointed in how shitty so much Christian music is, and wished most of it would just stop.

3> God is pleased and amused at how the gay people are so interesting in keeping the institution of marriage alive.

4> God wishes his/her evangelical followers would a> relax b>leave everyone else alone

Let's not turn this into a theological debate. Some people believe the Bible is the literal word of God, some don't. Both groups have the right to those beliefs. What irks me is when people attribute certain events to "God's will" and they're so sure about it that you'd think they were prophets or something. I remember attending a meeting of Christian students back in undergrad. The discussion was about how everything happens for a reason and that everything is God's will. For example, God wanted the Holocaust to happen for some reason, it was His will. There are countless examples of this thinking from fundamentalists from any religion. Please, let's let God speak for Himself.

Genesis 38: 1-11
"It happened at that time that Judah went down from his brothers and turned aside to a certain Adullamite, whose name was Hirah. 2 There Judah saw the daughter of a certain Canaanite whose name was Shua. He took her and went in to her, 3 and she conceived and bore a son, and he called his name Er. 4 She conceived again and bore a son, and she called his name Onan. 5 Yet again she bore a son, and she called his name Shelah. Judah [1] was in Chezib when she bore him.

6 And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, and her name was Tamar. 7 But Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord, and the Lord put him to death. 8 Then Judah said to Onan, “Go in to your brother's wife and perform the duty of a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother.†9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his. So whenever he went in to his brother's wife he would waste the semen on the ground, so as not to give offspring to his brother. 10 And what he did was wicked in the sight of the Lord, and he put him to death also. 11 Then Judah said to Tamar his daughter-in-law, “Remain a widow in your father's house, till Shelah my son grows upâ€â€”for he feared that he would die, like his brothers. So Tamar went and remained in her father's house."

"So the Bible is a work of fiction. Prove it!"

Prove that it's not.

So the Bible is a work of fiction. Prove it! Is it 100% fiction? Is it science fiction, or something like the Da Vinci Code, or what?

scarberiankhatru beat me to it; prove that the bible is NOT fiction. Saying something is true, without error, or the direct word of a deity requires proof.

The bible is a creation of human beings; human beings wrote it, translated it, selected what went in and what went out over time, and interpreted its words at will. In many parts it reflects the desires of some people to take control over other individuals, as well as the pettiness, vintictiveness and self-righteousness exhibited by too many individuals who fancy themselves "closer to god" because they believe in the bible as a literal text.

scarberiankhatru beat me to it; prove that the bible is NOT fiction. Saying something is true, without error, or the direct word of a deity requires proof.

Playing devil's advocate here, let's say the Bible was the divine word of God... how could that possibly be proven?

rapture.jpg

^ That's not the point. These arguments always begin with the assumption that the Bible, etc., are true and it is up to those who disagree to bear the burden of proving otherwise.

"Saying something is true, without error, or the direct word of a deity requires proof."

Or faith.

there can be many factors involved with the bible.

1) wasn't it written in a language that doesn't exist today? what happened if the translations are totally off?

2) over all these years, is it not possible that people or governments, groups, etc could have changed the book for their own agenda?

3) can its verses be metaphors for other things? can it be code?

4) could vital information been ommited or lost?

Back