News   May 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 8.9K     9 

Trying to follow the same rules of the road...

West End Boy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Should all users of the road be subject to the same rules? I know that the quick reaction to say that cyclists should follow the same rules as drivers makes a lot of logical sense, but is there a functional reason why this should not be so?

When I cycle, I've been trying to rigidly follow the same rules as drivers, but it doesn't actually work out so well for anyone. For example, at red lights I stop behind the car in front of me. If it's turning right, I either wait or pass on the left if there's room. But most drivers will assume that you are going to pass them on the right, so they wait and wait until you have passed them before turning, which I appreciate and am also frustrated by. This is worse when there is a bike lane, as most drivers don't realize that the lane marker changing to a dashed-line means that they should move to the far right before turning right. So what happens is that they stay in their lane and wait for cyclists to pass. Again, I appreciate their thoughtfulness but it leads to confusion. I have no doubt that drivers do this because they feel that they will be yelled at by cyclists who don't realize how it's supposed to work. Also, when I pass on the left I often get honked at by drivers who are afraid I am going to veer in front of them, even though there is lots of room.

When I stop behind a car at a traffic light, I've also had drivers honk or yell at me since I am taking the entire lane, just like cars do. This also happens when I ride along Bloor and there is no room in the curb lane because of parked cars, so I take a lane. I get why this bothers drivers, but don't know how else to get where I'm going on my bike safely.

I think that everyone on the street tends towards behaviour which benefits themselves, seems reasonable, and fits with their particular mode of transportation. The way that cyclists slow down and then ride through red lights, the way that EVERYONE slows down but does not actually stop at most STOP signs, cyclists going the wrong way on a one-way side street, taxis doing u-turns on major roads, etc. In the end, people do what they are capable of doing, and most make a decision that they feel is reasonable given the circumstances.

It seems that either way, cyclists are stuck. Without clearly defined infrastructure for cars and cyclists, there's so much conflict and confusion on the road and it leads to very negative outcomes. We need infrastructure that serves people's needs. We need rules that make sense for each mode of transportation and that are enforceable. My reaction to the 3-foot law that is being discussed is that there is no way to enforce it, so what's the point? We might as well just have a public education campaign asking drivers to give 3-feet of clearance. Stop signs are another example of something that isn't practically enforceable.

I'm so tired of the bickering and sniping that seems to have taken over. I'm guilty too. I find the fear of being doored or hit while cycling makes me more reactive and angry. I'm sincerely hoping that we can collectively find a way to share the road, create streets that make for civilized movement and maybe even more joy, and prevent more injury and death. As someone who walks/cycles/TTC's most of the time, and uses Autoshare when needed, I sincerely think all modes of transportation are great and useful. I hope the next mayor will have the vision and skill to bring some sanity to our streets.

Under the Highway Traffic Act, a bicycle has equal right to the road as a private passenger vehicle. As a motorist or a cyclist, it is correct to pass stopped vehicles on the right to make a right-hand turn at the intersection. Ignore the irate drivers for now and they'll all be dead in 30 years anyway.

For matter of course, I come to a full and complete stop every time I come to a stop sign, even at 3am. These laws like most (anti-smoking laws, littering laws, building safety laws) are only enforcable by the individual choice to comply. Every time you bend the rules, you make it easier for someone else to break them. Really, it should not be legistation, but part of a greater social contract.

I can't find it now, but a couple years ago a forum member (Joe?) had a great post about cycling around the city following the letter of the law for a month. It only resulted in problems and anger.

It's clear that there is a serious need for better education. Far too often I hear people condemning cyclists for breaking laws that don't actually exist.

I can't find it now, but a couple years ago a forum member (Joe?) had a great post about cycling around the city following the letter of the law for a month. It only resulted in problems and anger.

It's clear that there is a serious need for better education. Far too often I hear people condemning cyclists for breaking laws that don't actually exist.

I was trying to find that post too, but couldn't track it down. We definitely need more education for all road users along with appropriate infrastructure.

Results from the 2008 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test released today found that 16.4 percent of drivers on the road – amounting to roughly 33 million licensed Americans – would not pass a written drivers test exam if taken today.

From an article from GMAC Insurance. See this link.

Of course, taking a written test is different from everyday use. Most may know some of the rules, but actually following them is another.

I find that when I stop behind a line of cars, leaning on one foot along the curb, the next car to arrive will respect my place in line and stop behind me. I can't remember the last time a car sneaked up to take my space. When the light turns green I move off the curb to ride mid-lane directly behind the car in front of me. Then they know I won't sneak up their right side if they want to turn. If I'm behind several cars I'll wait, if there are one or two cars looking to turn right but held up by pedestrians I'll move past on their left. Seems to work for me, and I've never encountered any flack from drivers for handling it in this manner. There will always be aggressive, obnoxious or careless drivers that cause concern, just as there will always be irresponsible and careless cyclists, but the majority of drivers will try to work with cyclists who try to work with them. I did, however, feel some satisfaction the other day stopping a line of cars on Kingston Rd by pushing the walk button to change the lights. Sorry guys, just following the rules. It would have been easier to scoot across the red during a gap in traffic and not hold anyone up, but I see so many complaints about cyclists not respecting red lights that I choose to push the button and wait.

I have read the Highway Traffic Act, but I don't always follow it. I know I'm supposed to always ride on the road, but I make exceptions. For example, roads are often completely clogged with cars and there's no room between them and the curb, so there's nowhere to bike. And riding on sidewalks in the suburbs isn't really that bad since there are extremely few driveways on the roads I use. Also, if i'm going to bike really slowly (for example when I'm going up a steep hill) I generally ride on the sidewalk because I'm not that much faster than pedestrians anyway.

When I'm on the road, I just keep relatively close to the curb at typical speeds (~25km/h). If I'm going at the speed of traffic I move out into traffic taking up the full lane. I haven't had any problems or angry drivers, since I'm not actually holding up traffic in any way. Traffic is holding ME up.

At intersections I always stop in the same place as I would when I'm driving. Again, people seem to understand and don't have a problem with it. Cars aren't moving anyway so again, I'm not holding up traffic. Bikes accelerate faster than cars so I just stay in the center of the lane until I get to the far side of the intersection, then move over closer to the curb.

So what I've found is that if you don't hold up traffic people don't have a problem with you.

Back