News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 555     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Trinity Lofts - Is this worth the price?

How is this a terrible location? It is one block from the Distillery. it is a reasonable walk to the Financial District, it is a stones throw to Little Trinity Church and Enoch Turner schoolhouse and in a couple of years (ie, close to when it will be completed), it will be very close to the new West Donlands Park and community. I live in Corktown (in one of the new townhouses on Gilead) and love the location.

Being close to Distillery, financial district and west Donlands does not mean it is a good location, if that is the case we could say that Queen & Sherbourne intersection is a great location because is 2 blocks away of King east, St. Lawrence market, financial district, eaton centre, etc. I am not saying that the location of trinity is similar to the intersecion of Queen & Sherbourne, but there is nothing around trinity other than commercial and industrial buildings, there are not restaurants, coffee shops, retail, just go at night a have a walk around the location and tell me how you feel

Last edited:
there are not restaurants, coffee shops, retail, just go at night a have a walk around the location and tell me how you feel

Romagna Mia, a few blocks west, is one of the best Italian restaurants in the city. It easily has the best risotto I've ever eaten. Mengrai Thai is well rated, though I have never been there. Balzac's Coffee is a very popular coffee destination, also very close-by. Weezie's is also well-rated and there are a couple places on Gilead. While there isn't a ton in the immediate area, there is plenty to do within a 10 minute walk of Corktown.

A good area is certainly subjective.

Corktown is the epitome of an up and coming neighbourhood. As the development continues over the next number of years it will no longer be stark and industrial. In the meantime, it has many quality local gems that those in the know appreciate very much.

I was seriously considering purchasing a unit at Corktown District Phase 2 and spent time on foot getting a feel for the neighbourhood. You don't buy in this area based on how the area used to be. You buy it based on it's future potential which will be a combination of organic growth and gentrification once development is in full swing.

streetcar - I'm not so sure about the particular units/floor plans you're looking at. But Corktown/West Donlands will be a great location in the long term. Note that I said "will be" and "long term". In order to reap the benefits, you'll have to be in it for the long haul.

streetcar - I'm not so sure about the particular units/floor plans you're looking at. But Corktown/West Donlands will be a great location in the long term. Note that I said "will be" and "long term". In order to reap the benefits, you'll have to be in it for the long haul.

I agree. I have walked around Trinity and it may not currently be comparable to other great locations IN TERMS OF number of restaurants, shops, etc...however, I see a huge potential as it becomes more developed in the upcoming years (3-5 years). If you look at what they are planning to do with the West Don Land Development, you will realize that the portion of Front Street located right in front of Trinity Lofts between Trinity and Cherry Streets "will form the retail core of the community." - excerpt from the West Don Lands Development website. This huge transformation has been committed and supported by the government. Hard to back away after being selected as the city to host the 2015 Pan Am Games.

Last edited:
This is true. You just need to keep this all in mind while you're living there. It will be more developed over the next 5 years, but even after the 2015 Pam Am Games have come and gone the development will still not be complete. You'll be looking at upwards of a decade before this area truly comes together.

If you can live with the lack of retail and amenities for a few years and be excited about the progress while it's slowly taking place outside your window then this may be a good decision for you. You need to take a long term approach. Even people living along large stretches of King West are still looking forward to future retail and amenities. You will be close to the Distillery, St. Lawrence Market, and it's a short street car ride to Yonge Street. But when you walk down the street and there isn't a grocery store, dry cleaner, or ATM for a number of blocks that could get rather old and tiresome.

However, that's no different than the suburbs where there may be nothing for miles and a car is a necessity. Actually, Corktown is not anywhere comparable to the suburbs. It definitely is very urban and has an interesting vibe. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that whether you live in an established area, an up and coming neighbourhood, or a suburb it all depends on your lifestyle and what you want to get out of the neighbourhood you live in.

I was looking for a place in St. Lawrence Market and "veered off" into Corktown because I was interested in the development of this area. I seriously considered it provided that I'd have an exceptional suite for the same price as the smaller suite I eventually purchased in St. Lawrence Market. I liked that it was only an 8 minute street car ride to Yonge, there are some charming local small businesses, and it would be neat to be part of the great development from the very beginning. But, ultimately, I know myself. I need to have it all at my front door. I'd rather walk down the street with my cafes, bars, restaurants, grocery store, cleaners, and a subway stop within walking distance. I know myself just as someone who loves a big house in the suburbs with a nice lawn and a backyard patio knows him or herself.

It's a lifestyle choice you're making. But one that could be very good for you over the course of time.

This is true. You just need to keep this all in mind while you're living there. It will be more developed over the next 5 years, but even after the 2015 Pam Am Games have come and gone the development will still not be complete. You'll be looking at upwards of a decade before this area truly comes together.

If you can live with the lack of retail and amenities for a few years and be excited about the progress while it's slowly taking place outside your window then this may be a good decision for you. You need to take a long term approach. Even people living along large stretches of King West are still looking forward to future retail and amenities. You will be close to the Distillery, St. Lawrence Market, and it's a short street car ride to Yonge Street. But when you walk down the street and there isn't a grocery store, dry cleaner, or ATM for a number of blocks that could get rather old and tiresome.

However, that's no different than the suburbs where there may be nothing for miles and a car is a necessity. Actually, Corktown is not anywhere comparable to the suburbs. It definitely is very urban and has an interesting vibe. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that whether you live in an established area, an up and coming neighbourhood, or a suburb it all depends on your lifestyle and what you want to get out of the neighbourhood you live in.

I was looking for a place in St. Lawrence Market and "veered off" into Corktown because I was interested in the development of this area. I seriously considered it provided that I'd have an exceptional suite for the same price as the smaller suite I eventually purchased in St. Lawrence Market. I liked that it was only an 8 minute street car ride to Yonge, there are some charming local small businesses, and it would be neat to be part of the great development from the very beginning. But, ultimately, I know myself. I need to have it all at my front door. I'd rather walk down the street with my cafes, bars, restaurants, grocery store, cleaners, and a subway stop within walking distance. I know myself just as someone who loves a big house in the suburbs with a nice lawn and a backyard patio knows him or herself.

It's a lifestyle choice you're making. But one that could be very good for you over the course of time.

I used to live at Mozo and moved to Corktown last year. While there may not yet be a Starbuck's at the base of every building, there are lots of amenities with 10 mins. I still walk to the pub (eg Betty's) and the grocery store (Sobey's) and i still walk to work (King / Bay). The nice thing about this area is that is is close to the amenities and perhaps a bit more of a community feel (and quieter) than areas closer to downtown. I personally don't like being in the middle of the action but instead prefer being on the margin of it so it is close by. I would however expect Trinity lofts to be cheaper per sq ft than say a place across from St. Lawrence Mkt (assuming same finishes) since it is a little further out. It is not however like living in the burbs and is therefore not much of a lifestyle change from living 3-4 blocks to the West.

Just to clarify, I said "Actually, Corktown is not anywhere comparable to the suburbs"... if any misunderstanding, it's due to my less than stellar writing. :)

The way you described it as being on the margin of the action sums it up fairly. It's an up and coming urban neighbourhood. I think one of these days we're going to find that St. Lawrence Market, Corktown, and the West Donlands converge and complement each other very well.

While there are lots of amenities within 10 minutes, the question is whether one wants to be in the middle of the action today or be in the middle of a construction zone which will one day become the middle of the action to a certain extent. If the OP can appreciate Corktown for both the neighbourhood it is today and enjoy living there today while being excited to watch the progress take place around them then it could very well be his or her dream neighbourhood.

I, for one, may prefer living in the middle of the action. But I'll definitely be looking forward to my walks to Corktown and watching the progress take place. As far as I'm concerned, everything that happens east of Parliament will make living in St. Lawrence Market even better than it already is. Same with other neighbourhoods surrounding Corktown.

I really like the area but I am not sure about his particular project.

I think the building is ok but seems to be over priced for the finishes, amenities, and out door space. I went to the Corktown phase I open houses and the units were ok. You should look at some of their other projects before buying to get an idea of the developers finished product.

Back