News   Apr 19, 2024
 651     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 630     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Transit Ridership Statistics & Tracking

20230902_074611.jpg

From the Enjoy the Ride presentation at the upcoming Metrolinx board meeting.

Paywalled article with no context.
It would be nice given how much a Toronto Star subscription costs, that it would include online access to the other Torstar papers; I'd have though the potential market for Toronto Star subscribers to start online subscriptions to regional papers would be minimal.

Back on topic - presumably this data would be available elsewhere. The key question is how does it compare to 2019.

It would be nice given how much a Toronto Star subscription costs, that it would include online access to the other Torstar papers; I'd have though the potential market for Toronto Star subscribers to start online subscriptions to regional papers would be minimal.

Back on topic - presumably this data would be available elsewhere. The key question is how does it compare to 2019.
Back of the envelope it should be higher than 2019. In 2019 there was only really the weekend service*, which was consisted of three round trips with 8-car trains. Now we have three round trips every day of the week, and one of the weekend trains is crush loaded with a 12-car set. The increase can be attributed almost entirely to the $10 weekend pass.

* Weekday ridership was negligible. See for example this count I did of the only weekday trip towards Toronto on 29 March 2019:

Last edited:

Lets extract what we can:

1705170995176.png

The above is really the only concrete info, as opposed to backpatting or some widely known facts.

@reaperexpress will know, but what did we have in 2022? One train daily, plus 3 on the weekend? So 11 weekly trains per direction? Vs 21 today.

If that's right, 90% more trains yielded 67% more ridership.

I mean, great..........now of course, the new service only began in May (3x daily) so one has to factor that in..........which is more math than I feel like doing.

Lets extract what we can:

View attachment 533028

The above is really the only concrete info, as opposed to backpatting or some widely known facts.
"got on and off the train"
"both rail and bus"

So which is it?

I suspect it's both rail and bus, which supports my opinion that Niagara Falls terminal and Niagara Falls station should be shown as a single line on timetables rather than two separate lines. It doesn't matter to a traveller which one they end up at, they're right next to each other.

@reaperexpress will know, but what did we have in 2022? One train daily, plus 3 on the weekend? So 11 weekly trains per direction? Vs 21 today.

If that's right, 90% more trains yielded 67% more ridership.

I mean, great..........now of course, the new service only began in May (3x daily) so one has to factor that in..........which is more math than I feel like doing.
I don't remember off the top of my head, but I've just uploaded the 2022 and 2023 timetables to my GO Transit Timetable Archive so anyone can check for themselves. Look under "LSWNiagara".

Just looking at service towards Toronto for simplicity:
Here is summer 2022. Weekdays had 1 train, 9 express buses and 18 local buses per day. Weekends had 3 trains, 13 express buses and 17 local buses per day
Here is summer 2023. Weekdays had 3 trains, 10 express buses and 18 local buses per day. Weekends had 3 trains, 13 express buses and 17 local buses per day

"got on and off the train"
"both rail and bus"

So which is it?

I suspect it's both rail and bus, which supports my opinion that Niagara Falls terminal and Niagara Falls station should be shown as a single line on timetables rather than two separate lines. It doesn't matter to a traveller which one they end up at, they're right next to each other.
Without confirmation from Metrolinx, it will be difficult to know. My assumption is that it is both.

Metrolinx monitors and usually announces ridership by corridor (Niagara is route 12, which encompasses the buses running to Burlington and the trains running all the way to Union). They do keep and track breakdowns of each by mode, as well.

Dan

Do they normally offer later trains after concert? It was nice there was a 1AM train west from union after Madonna... even though the concert was very late and we barely made the 1am train but this was nice (vs relying on an uber).

Do they normally offer later trains after concert? It was nice there was a 1AM train west from union after Madonna... even though the concert was very late and we barely made the 1am train but this was nice (vs relying on an uber).
It's become more of a thing over the past couple of years, yes.

Dan

Back