48     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 498     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1K     3 

Transit overcrowding on the TTC.

M

miketoronto

This picture was taken the other day on my bus route. This was not taken in rush hour, but rather during the midday.

Crowding like this on the TTC is no way to encourage choice ridership.

crowded1.jpg

One bus, one day. March Break.

Now, take that same bus everyday for a couple of weeks, and if you note overcrowding on a daily basis, report it and they'll fix it.

It can happen, even on a weekend, especially if there is bunching or an unusal experience. However, just wait until your route becomes designated accessibile - now fit that crowd (it looks like a Classic) into an Orion VII.

That is not March break rush. That is a normal day on that route.

Mike, you should be a journalist for the Sun...

LIKE SARDINES

crowded1.jpg

It can happen, even on a weekend, especially if there is bunching or an unusal experience. However, just wait until your route becomes designated accessibile - now fit that crowd (it looks like a Classic) into an Orion VII.

Actually, I think that is an Orion VII.

^
No, windows are too circular. Orion 7 windows are more square.

My guess is a New Flyer (circa 1990s) or, perhaps, an Orion 6.

Either way, the most amazing thing about this photo is the crowd. Surely none of us have ever seen a crowded bus before. Thanks for the photographic evidence, Mike.

Crowding like this on the TTC is no way to encourage choice ridership.
I know that I'm a choice rider because you can sometimes be photographed riding the TTC. You don't get that kind of publicity in the car on the highway.

that's nuffin like tokyo where they hire ppl to push u all in with a bar :)

No, windows are too circular. Orion 7 windows are more square.

[transit geek] Just looking at the back of the driver's cab, the overhead "strap" hand holds, and the fact that the picture taker is at a much higher elevation than the girl standing at far left makes me think it the picture was taken from the back end of an Orion VII [/transit geek]

that's nuffin like tokyo where they hire ppl to push u all in with a bar :)

^ They're not allowed to do that anymore. Now the attendents just ask you politely to move back into the train.

[transit geek] Just looking at the back of the driver's cab, the overhead "strap" hand holds, and the fact that the picture taker is at a much higher elevation than the girl standing at far left makes me think it the picture was taken from the back end of an Orion VII [/transit geek]
Haha.
Well, that's possible. Maybe miketoronto can enlighten us. Orion 6 and 7s are similar, though I'm betting its this one below. The New Flyer, which also has a raised floor in the rear. Note the windows.

transit.toronto.on.ca/ima...001-41.jpg

The Orion 7 (below) has some differences, but the easiest way to tell its not a 7 is the windows.
transit.toronto.on.ca/ima...5%20CS.JPG

Back