News   Jul 23, 2024
 106     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 772     2 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 473     0 

Transit Fares

I think I could get behind fare by time, but only if we let presto do the calculating. People just want to buy their ticket and go. They don't want to spend time decided what kind of pass they need. Of course, fare-by-time would require us to keep period passes.

TTC plans to stop selling adult tickets

TTC plans to stop selling adult tickets

June 11, 2008
DANIEL DALE
STAFF REPORTER

Adult TTC tickets will no longer be sold after September if a new proposal intended to combat counterfeiting is approved by the transit commission next week.

Under the proposal, announced early this evening, adult tickets would no longer be accepted as of September 28. In mid-September, people who had already purchased adult tickets could exchange them for tokens at the Yonge-Bloor subway station or at TTC headquarters at Yonge and Davisville.

Student and senior tickets would continue to be used, TTC spokesperson Brad Ross said, since most counterfeiting involves adult tickets.

Since the introduction of new adult tickets in November 2007, Ross said, the TTC has noticed a dramatic increase in counterfeits. While the transit authority lost approximately 0.4 per cent of ticket revenue to fake tickets over the three years before the new ones came into use, that number has risen to about 1.5 per cent today - $300,000 to $400,000 per month.

The counterfeits, Ross said, have become increasingly difficult for TTC employees to spot.

In related news, ticket collector Nafisa Zahur, 31, was arrested last night and charged with several fraud and forgery offences. Nahur, a TTC employee for two years, allegedly sold counterfeit adult tickets from her booth at Wilson station.

Police have conducted "several" investigations into the sale of counterfeit tickets in 2008, Ross said, but this was the first involving a TTC employee.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/441639

----------------------------------

so every adult has to get a metropass or pay a cash fare?

Transit Special Constables Arrest TTC Employee

Elimination of Adult Tickets on Commission Agenda

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - June 11, 2008) - Transit Special Constables, last night, arrested a TTC Collector at Wilson Station for selling and possessing forged TTC adult tickets. Toronto Police Service has charged the employee with a number of criminal offenses, including fraud, theft, breach of trust, and possession of instruments of forgery.

As a result of a series of ongoing investigations over the last several months, TTC staff had already prepared a report for next week's Commission meeting recommending the elimination of adult tickets.

The TTC has seen an increase in counterfeit ticket use, costing the TTC - and Toronto taxpayers - $300,000 - $400,000 a month in lost revenue. Commissioners will consider this recommendation, and additional measures to verify legitimate fares, at its June 18 meeting. If approved, adult ticket sales would end in September.

Approximately 65 million adult tickets were used last year, representing 15 per cent of TTC fares.

Tokens, as well as tickets for seniors, students and children will continue to be sold and accepted by the TTC. Fares remain unchanged; the adult cash fare is $2.75. Tokens cost $22.50 for 10, or $2.25 per trip.

Anyone who has purchased adult tickets from any TTC collector booth in the last week is asked to check their tickets' serial numbers for the following series: A7731069-A7731072 and A7660481-A7660484. If someone believes they are in possession of one of these tickets, they are asked to contact Detective Constable Devereux of Toronto Police Service, 32 Division Fraud Office at 416-808-3207.

For any other concerns or about forged TTC tickets, customers should call Crimestoppers at 416-222-TIPS.

That sucks. As an occasional TTC rider, my only feasible option now will be tokens, and I hate tokens. I can't keep them in my wallet, which means I always have to think ahead when I leave home whether or not to bring tokens, and how many to bring. Also, they are so tiny they always get mixed in with my loose change, lost, dropped, etc. Bloody counterfeiters will cost me money.

All this nonsense needs to be replaced with a simple re-fillable swipe card a-la the NYC MetroCard. Then we can truly say that Toronto has entered the 21st Century. Or 20th Century. Whatever. Tokens are so medieval, why don't we just install turnstiles that open with the twist of a wrought iron skeleton key.

All this nonsense needs to be replaced with a simple re-fillable swipe card a-la the NYC MetroCard.

Now if only we had one, it would be like magic. And we could give it a magic sounding name. Like "ta-da", or something like that...

oh yeah, forgot about the tokens.

800px-Toronto_Transit_Commission_Token-2007.jpg

All this nonsense needs to be replaced with a simple re-fillable swipe card a-la the NYC MetroCard. Then we can truly say that Toronto has entered the 21st Century. Or 20th Century. Whatever. Tokens are so medieval, why don't we just install turnstiles that open with the twist of a wrought iron skeleton key.

why not RFID?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_Card

Sometimes facebook is the best way to find out the word on the street

The reason why
It's funny, actually. The other day I was looking at my HSR tickets and thinking "Wow, you could do a double-sided colour copy of these and have fares for life." Hopefully this aids in the deployment of Presto on the TTC, as carrying around a bunch of tokens is far more annoying than carrying around a bunch of tickets in my experience.

Now if only we had one, it would be like magic. And we could give it a magic sounding name. Like "ta-da", or something like that...

Sudbury's entire system is based off of swipe cards and cash fares - its extremely convenient even if the only place to buy the cards are downtown. The only problem are the machines cant read american currency.

Here's a modern version of the token...

862200916_724d0f1179_o.jpg

Some Chinese metro systems (like Shenzhen's, above) have poker chip-sized plastic tokens (in China they are called "tickets") with RFID chips in them. You buy it from vending machines at the station station (since Shenzhen charges fare by distance, you select your destination station when buying the token), and then just tap it on the scanner on the turnstile to get in. When you leave the system you drop it into a slot on the turnstile on your way out.

Subway fares around the world

From treehugger.com:

On Monday, New Yorkers riding the subway to work were met with a costlier spin of the turnstile: a 12 percent increase in their fares, from $2 to $2.25, as the Metropolitan Transit Authority copes with a severe $2 billion deficit.

But how does the new, much-bemoaned cost of admission to the country's biggest subway (and bus) network stack up against fares in other world-class cities? And how well in general does the New York City subway, well, fare?

In relative, U.S. terms, New York's subway looks like a hands-down winner. It's not the prettiest subway, but it's fairly reliable, carries more riders than all other American subway systems combined, and (until Beijing finishes its subway) is the most extensive network in the world (see these to-scale subway maps from around the world), with 660 miles of track. (Plus, its decaying look isn't so bad -- it practically defines New York's rusty charm.)

New York's is also the only subway to run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

And in comparison to the fares of other subway systems in the "developed" world, New York's falls near the middle (that's not as good as free, as labor arbitrator Ted Kheel has demanded for decades, but hey). London, predictably enough, is the most expensive subway system by far.

pub

The calculation of cost could be complicated by off-peak prices, reduced fares for seniors and students and the price-per-ride using monthly passes. I am not estimating those fares here, only the cost of a standard one-time use ticket. In cases where subway fares are variable, I did my best to use an average or standard fare, or for London, the fare for zone one the average cost of travel using the Oyster card at peak times in zone 1.

Average fare estimates when taking subway passes into account drives fares down. The New York MTA puts the average price of a typical subway fare at $1.96, factoring in the free fare riders get for every $8 they put on their Metrocard.

Meanwhile, San Francisco's BART and DC's Metro -- two of the newest U.S. metro systems (1972 and 1976, respectively; LA's subway is the newest) -- are the only American networks listed here to rely on zone or distance-based pricing. The further you travel, the more expensive the fare.

Such a system potentially makes the per mile cost of those subways cheaper. In cities with fixed fares, meanwhile, riders who travel short distances are effectively helping to pay for the cost of those who travel longer distances.

Still, I tend to think the costs of zone-pricing outweigh the benefits. Not only can it make subway travel considerably more expensive than it might otherwise be, but it presumably adds more management costs for the subway and more complication (and okay, aggravation) for riders who don't want to get their ticket out every time they leave the subway. I'm not sure fast-paced New Yorkers could stand for the kind of turnstile gridlock that could ensue, in the way that Bay Area or DC riders might be able to.

Why is New York City Raising the Subway Fare?
None of this is to suggest that the New York City subway is perfect. As the city's Straphangers Campaign notes, it's still got many miles (of track) to go. And fare hikes do not always equal better service. In the case of New York City amidst a recession, that equation remains elusive: the MTA will still need to cut back on service in order to balance its budget.

The fare hike, which also brings the price of a monthly MetroCard to $89 from $81, could well bring with it another set of problems. In times of recession, the demand elasticity of subway fare hikes -- how willing will New Yorkers be to ride the subway as the fare rises -- goes down.

And while the New York subway saw record numbers of riders in 2008 -- 2.37 billion rides, a 3.1 percent increase from 2007 -- the subway has been suffering from a drop in ridership every month since the start of 2009. New York could well be in for a vicious cycle of low ridership + fare hikes and service cuts, which leads to even lower ridership, which might justify more hikes and cuts, and so on.

Whether a fare hike will ultimately drive more New Yorkers to cars remains to be seen. One analysis done during a 2008 fare hike estimated that half of lost subway rides become car trips. But while the cost of gas is down, so are incomes. Perhaps more citizens will be drawn to bicycles.

Either way, as mass transit systems around the U.S. (and the world) face budgetary woes, the pattern of fare hikes/service cuts/ridership drops could well become familiar. Higher fares are also due to hit San Francisco on July 1 -- an increase of 20 cents to $3.18.

What Makes a Subway Fare Fair?
A more thorough analysis might take into account the relative cost of a subway ride (incomes in China are much lower than in the U.S.), delays, quality of service, speed, ridership, how much fares make up each systems' funding (New York, incidentally, draws the most from its fareboxes for revenue), and of course ongoing improvements and maintenance. Perhaps rat sightings should also be incorporated into our comparison.

And when determining the value of a subway fare, the fiscal woes of each city might also be taken into account. (The News Hour is chronicling fiscal problems with a handy map in the U.S.)

Thus, cost isn't the biggest question. How do we estimate the value we're getting out of each fare?

That is, how fair is the fare?

We may agree that New York's is the most reliable and largest subway system on balance, and in the grand scheme, still a pretty darn good value.

And even if the other subways aren't as good values, or even if they're better, with smart planning and smart investment (including, sometimes, fare hikes), they are providing a healthy alternative to the automobile.

Back