News   Jul 16, 2024
 86     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 836     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 964     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I'm kind of surprised about Montreal. I frequently get jerked around or thrown forward in the sections between stations, but I suppose that could be when the operators are practicing.

I knew that the doors were manually operated. Usually a train will lie in wait with the doors open. Once it sees that someone is rushing to catch the train, it will wait until the person is about to enter before suddenly and without warning slamming the doors shut. If they are unlucky, body parts may be caught. No machine could be so capricious or sadistic.

The response whenever something gets caught also leaves something to be desired. I once sat in a train for 5 minutes because the doors had been closed before everyone could enter. Someone's backpack was caught in the door behind them and wouldn't budge. Rather than open the doors to let it be removed, the operator seemed to think repeating "vieullez dégager les portes s'il vous plait" on the PA system would be effective. Not wanting to let other people enter the wagons, he would open the doors for a millisecond...which was not enough time to actually free the bag.

That's quite a different experience than what I've had in Montreal. I've always found the trains were driven better or smoother or more confidently than the TTC.

At first I wondered why it felt so much nicer, I figured it might be the rubber tires. But then I took the line that goes to the island, the only one which gets driven manually, and it felt like the TTC subway. So I attribute the smoothness of the driving to ATO.

I'm kind of surprised about Montreal. I frequently get jerked around or thrown forward in the sections between stations, but I suppose that could be when the operators are practicing.
I've only noticed that on one day when the ATC system was down, and they were running manually - at the same time, most of the city had no power, and I think the signals were down to. Roughest ride ever. Though the Yellow line doesn't have ATC, perhaps you were on that?

....ve definitely adopted many of the design items included in the INAT standard, even if I'm not following it to the letter.

You do realize there's no such thing as an international standard? It's just a trumped-up way one graphic designer (who as best I can tell has never designed a major metro system's actual map) decided to describe the consistent formatting choices he used on a speculative project he did.

I mean, a visual artist could just as easily redraw every major metro system in the world using the London Underground visual standard, and it would at least have the benefit of matching a real-world-tested design. But that probably wouldn't have been as good for business.

You do realize there's no such thing as an international standard? It's just a trumped-up way one graphic designer (who as best I can tell has never designed a major metro system's actual map) decided to describe the consistent formatting choices he used on a speculative project he did.

I mean, a visual artist could just as easily redraw every major metro system in the world using the London Underground visual standard, and it would at least have the benefit of matching a real-world-tested design. But that probably wouldn't have been as good for business.

I realize that it's not an "official standard", but I think the design choices that he made, applied consistently across various maps as examples, make a lot of sense. I'm not saying that everyone should follow that to the letter, but many of the principles he uses are quite valid, and go a long way to enhancing the readability and overall look of a transit map.

So it took me some time, but I finished the map that I was talking about a couple pages ago. Some things to note:

1) This map is a collection of what is existing, funded, or planned. This is not a representation of what I would like to see, or what I think should be built. It's just showing what is officially on the books now.

2) This is intended to fit in the 20x28" TTC subway poster spots. The idea is that the entire RT map is shown here, while individual line diagrams are shown above the doors.

3) Wayfinding scheme: Heavy rail transit routes are numbered, LRT/BRT/Streetcar routes are lettered. It gives a pretty clear distinction between the two, while still having both shown on the same RT map.

4) I included GO RER as a separate map, because in the future the integration between the TTC and GO will only increase, and GO will become a valid travel option for Torontonians, and thus should be shown as such on maps.

5) Routes run by other local agencies are shown in a uniform grey on this map. This is to illustrate the fact that they're there, but they're grey to not draw attention to them.

If you have any questions, let me know!

TTC%20Rail%20Map.jpg

Link to full version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43869799/TTC Rail Map.jpg

I would have extended the "L" (512 St. Clair) to Scarlett Road/Jane Street.

Is that in the plans though? I always thought that was part of the Jane LRT proposal, which is pretty much in the dust bin. I don't disagree with you, but this is just a map of what is officially on the books.

Last edited:
Nice map gweed123, thanks for sharing!

A couple of nitpicks re: Eglinton. There is no Black Creek stop in reality so that should be removed from the map. On the map, Lebovic is missing and Ferrand is misspelled as "Ferrard".

Sorry if this seems like a repost. This is my map concept of the GO RER, which I have posted before. I just edited some very glaring errors from the previous one.
(some typos)

Toronto RER low res.png

Attachments

• Toronto RER low res.png
    Toronto RER low res.png
    1 MB · Views: 2,002
See this PDF on the SCARLETT ROAD / CP RAIL BRIDGE CLASS ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT at this link. It is unfunded at the moment, because it was deferred by the previous administration.

Thanks for the link. On the preferred concept though, I didn't really see the LRT there. Personally, I think the streetcar extension will happen in conjunction with one of two projects:

1) The construction of the Jane LRT.
2) The construction of an RER station at Jane on the Milton line.

Until then, like you mentioned, I think any plan to extend the streetcar line will be put on the back-burner.

Nice map gweed123, thanks for sharing!

A couple of nitpicks re: Eglinton. There is no Black Creek stop in reality so that should be removed from the map. On the map, Lebovic is missing and Ferrand is misspelled as "Ferrard".

Thanks! And thanks for noting those little mistakes. I've corrected them. With such a big map there were bound to be a couple oopses, haha.

why cut service at Ajax? or Mississauga? A significant amount of ridership comes east and west of those termini. I would extend service to Newmarket as well..

Sorry if this seems like a repost. This is my map concept of the GO RER, which I have posted before. I just edited some very glaring errors from the previous one.
(some typos)

Does mean that line C (Richmond Hill) will have 3 times as many trains as on the west, since the west ones would have to branch 3 ways. How about pairing Richmond hill with the King City and wood bridge line. Then pair Markham With Brampton and Pearson. And make the Streetsville line the orphan with no pair on the east.

Back