News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.6K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 4.9K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 3.5K     3 

Transit Fantasy Maps

You do know that both of those alignments are running in the middle of creek beds, yes? Even if they were tunnelled, I'd imagine you'd run into some serious water table issues.

The alignment would have to be elevated a few feet or the creek would have to be diverted. Definitely can't be practically buried.

Hey guys, I'd like your critique of my map. My goal was to make one that was better than the official map.

Very good map. One of the best ones, actually. There are some routes and stations/station names I wouldn't include, but I'll just focus on the design of the map:

1. Make interchange stations more prominent (bigger circle, bolder font)
2. Dump the streetcars. They're really not higher level transit that belongs on this map. I mean, if they're on it, you might as well include 905 BRT-lite services that connect between subway/rapid transit lines (eg. Viva purple). If you must, keep the 509, 510, 512 and whatever the one to the Portlands is called, since they're critical links from the true rapid transit network to key areas that can, at least, be considered to be a very basic, non-rapid form of light rail.
3. Add GO-REX. That really is a higher level transit that belongs on the map. You can choose whatever format you want to include them. For reference, I prefer the way that Paris does it with the combined RER and Metro map, where RER lines are fatter, compared to the German and Spanish variants where regional rail is undifferentiated from metro/subways.
4. Add a blue outline of Lake Ontario. It's obvious which way is south, but I find it really helps.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'd like your critique of my map. My goal was to make one that was better than the official map.

TTC 2054 (v0.9) by BB ON, on Flickr

(I've since corrected Dundas West and Fairview not having square dots)

This is very good! How did you make it?

My things? Just connect the Eglinton and sheppard lines in East Scarborough.
I find it odd that your map shows subways extending into the far reaches of York Region, but nothing to Misssissauga City Centre.

CC, you are practically the only person in Mississauga that wants the subway right now. McCallion is in love with the LRT. I don't see it happening without a new reversal with a new council.

I love the streetcar expansion as well.
Looks good! One stylistic change I'd make though is making stop bubbles on at-grade lines slightly smaller (perhaps proportionate with the line width?) compared to the full station bubbles on the grade-separated lines. The line weight to compare grade-separated vs not is good, I think just the stations could benefit from the same contrast.

Also, what's going on with the Bloor-Danforth line in Scarborough? It looks to be using the SRT alignment, only with fewer stops. Based on what has gone on recently in council, I think it's following the Danforth-McCowan alignment. Either that or it will revert back to the original alignment using LRT.

The SRT alignment would be much cheaper based on the cost estimates. Plus its denser, which would increase ridership and make the route more successful.

Last edited:
Very good map. One of the best ones, actually. There are some routes and stations/station names I wouldn't include, but I'll just focus on the design of the map:

1. Make interchange stations more prominent (bigger circle, bolder font)
2. Dump the streetcars. They're really not higher level transit that belongs on this map. I mean, if they're on it, you might as well include 905 BRT-lite services that connect between subway/rapid transit lines (eg. Viva purple). If you must, keep the 509, 510, 512 and whatever the one to the Portlands is called, since they're critical links from the true rapid transit network to key areas that can, at least, be considered to be a very basic, non-rapid form of light rail.
3. Add GO-REX. That really is a higher level transit that belongs on the map. You can choose whatever format you want to include them. For reference, I prefer the way that Paris does it with the combined RER and Metro map, where RER lines are fatter, compared to the German and Spanish variants where regional rail is undifferentiated from metro/subways.
4. Add a blue outline of Lake Ontario. It's obvious which way is south, but I find it really helps.

1. I'll experiment, but it's fairly obvious that these stations are interchanges anyways.

2. The TTC's official "Subway and RT" map as it is titled is word salad, especially when LRT is being introduced and the SRT is being decommissioned, and there are several LRT-lites around the system. "Rail Network" is much simpler and comprehensive, and this way it advertises the streetcars as potential EW alternative routes. I predict far in the future that single occupant cars will be heavily restricted downtown and that these routes will be given back to transit, pedestrians and cyclists anyways. I don't include anything that rolls on rubber in this map.

3. I will but things are kinda packed and I need to get a bit clever with this. I want this to be a TTC map and not a GTA map.

4. I will, in addition to trying out some zonal fare boundaries like in london underground

Could have a least included a stop at U of T Scarborough

Yeah I'll add one. Malvern LRT was supposed to go there anyways

This is very good! How did you make it?

My things? Just connect the Eglinton and sheppard lines in East Scarborough.

Adobe Illustrator. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it.

As above, will do.

The text below the Studio District station on the orange line says "Lake Sore"

Lmao. Oops.

York's shown a willingness to throw money at subways. Major Mack's not that far from RHC/VMC which can be inexpensively reached by trench in a straight line. MCC, despite being roughly the same distance away, is in the middle of nowhere relatively speaking. I think it makes more sense to have a dedicated GO spur there and to have connections at Dixie and Highway 427.

I daresay VMC and RHC are both far more middle of nowhere than MCC.

They aren't in subway length terms, especially RHC. RHC has a very high ridership corridor along Yonge leading to it from the north and south. VMC is a bit more out there, but not to the point that MCC is. It's also an 11km extension to get to MCC and only 6.8 km to RHC

They aren't in subway length terms, especially RHC. RHC has a very high ridership corridor along Yonge leading to it from the north and south. VMC is a bit more out there, but not to the point that MCC is. It's also an 11km extension to get to MCC and only 6.8 km to RHC

CC is right because Mississauga would produce more ridership from square one, IMO. Having said that, Hazel does not want it really, so there you go. Do you think the next mayor will switch from LRT? Not likely

View attachment 20101

Something Ford wants, I think. I still think the Finch LRT will be built either way. But I bet Ford will want the sheppard subway

I am starting to think more favourably about the Sheppard Subway. Transit experts says that it is not needeed. The Stintz "expert panel" from 2012 said that LRT was significantly better even if all monetary factors were ignored.

However, these same transit experts at Metrolinx and TTC say that the B-D Subway extension for $1.5B is the best plan. They also say that it makes more sense to short-turn Eglinton trains at Laird rather than Don Mills. They think the south side alignment is such a poor option that they did not even study it. Same thing with the elevated alignment from Don Mills to Kennedy - not even worth studying. These transit experts seems to be so fundamentaly wrong on all the decisions they have made to date that I do not trust their decisions on anything else going forward.

As for Sheppard, the subway cost about $1B and has a replacment cost of about $2B. It does make some sense to consider how to utilize this infrastructure as part of a transit network* - and not just to chop it off to ensure its continued failure. I would like to extend the Sheppard line to Yorkdale, York U, and Vaughan. I would connect the Wilson, Sheppard West, Finch West and Steeles West bus routes to the Sheppard line. This of course could be done with an interlined arrangement - with the interchange ramps being built in the field on the SW corner of Sheppard/Dufferin. This would be a much simpler proposition than it sounds due to the open space available.

* - It does seems that Metrolinx does not feel that utilizing existing infrastructure is even being considered. For the Scarborough Rapid Transit solution (B-D Subway extension), their best option is to demolish the Kennedy subway station, demolish all SRT stations and demolish the elevated guideway.

BurlOak:

You haven't provided any evidence that it is needed - just because some of the expert opinions is contrary to your assessment doesn't change the underlying fact that Sheppard is far below subway threshold. Is that to say that it doesn't warrant some kind of mass transit improvement? No - but does it mean it should take the form of buried heavy rail, particularly when there are other pressing priorities one should attend to? No.

AoD

The Sheppard Subway requires something like a $7 subsidy per passenger to operate.

The Sheppard Subway will have ~4,000 PPHPD. The LRT can handle well over twice that ridership.

Subway capacities in Toronto typically varies from about 30,000 ppbdp to 44,000.Thats 7 to 11 times what is needed on Sheppard.

There is no debate about this. The numbers speak for themselves. The Sheppard Subway has been and continues to be an enormous waste of money. Any extensions of this line would be incredibly foolish.

Back