News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 640     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 966     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Not necissarily a comment on your post but moreso a continuation of my thought process on this topic and I don't want it to be read and not have context.

Does anybody know if there is enough room to drop the Yonge portion of the line down below the proposed DRL east extension so that it can serve the waterfront?

Having Yonge do that much of a zig-zag would be somewhat difficult. However, if you extend the Yonge line further west (to CityPlace for example), then it may work. But as the configuration is right now, it would be an engineering nightmare.

Has anyone seen a map, either in this thread or elsewhere, showing the current subway and GO rail system? I'm looking for a simplified schematic, perhaps using standardized (i.e. London Underground-inspired) graphics.
MapArt atlases have one, and so does Where magazine, I think -- but they're not quite there...

-ed

This neither: http://www.urbanrail.net/am/toro/toronto.htm

I'm going to shamelessly promote my map. I know I'm a horrible person.

TTC_v8h.png

Very shamless of me, haha.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen a map, either in this thread or elsewhere, showing the current subway and GO rail system? I'm looking for a simplified schematic, perhaps using standardized (i.e. London Underground-inspired) graphics.
MapArt atlases have one, and so does Where magazine, I think -- but they're not quite there...

-ed

This neither: http://www.urbanrail.net/am/toro/toronto.htm

And, in an effort to contribute something to the thread:

SubGo2.jpg

Last edited:
Mayoral Candidates' Subway Plan

A map to compare Ford and Smitherman's subway plans.

Mayoral.jpg

Attachments

• Mayoral.jpg
    Mayoral.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
And, in an effort to contribute something to the thread:

subgo2.jpg

- Bloor GO is theoretically a transfer to Dundas West, not Lansdowne. You could call the station Dundas-Bloor for simplicity.
- Barrie line splits before Bloor GO.
- Danforth GO is theoretically a transfer to Main Street.
- Oriole GO is theoretically a transfer to Leslie.
- Richmond Hill Centre will be a transfer to Langstaff GO. I hope they rename the stops by that time.

- Bloor GO is theoretically a transfer to Dundas West, not Lansdowne. You could call the station Dundas-Bloor for simplicity.
- Barrie line splits before Bloor GO.
- Danforth GO is theoretically a transfer to Main Street.
- Oriole GO is theoretically a transfer to Leslie.
- Richmond Hill Centre will be a transfer to Langstaff GO. I hope they rename the stops by that time.

- The Bloor station is closer to Lansdowne so that the 45 degree text could be maintained and not cross any lines.
- The Barrie line was simplified again not to cross any text and to save space.
- For simplicity I generally only showed "transfers" where the station name was the same and were basically on the same spot, not transfers between more distant stations.
- Didn't know about the last one, thanks!

Richmond Hill Centre has been connected to Langstaff GO for more than a year. The names were not changed.

Richmond Hill Centre has been connected to Langstaff GO for more than a year. The names were not changed.

Indeed. I've taken the impressively overbuilt footbridge.

However, it's just a bus terminal right now. One hopes that they'll come up with a less confusing naming scheme if the subway is extended there. TTC is trying to rationalize station names on the Spadina extension right now. They'll likely do the same for Yonge.

Also, by the time there's a subway extension there, perhaps Metrolinx will have figured out how to build and organize GO-TTC transfer stations well. A better naming scheme than Bloor/Dundas West, Danfort/Main St, Oriole/Leslie, and Langstaff/Richmond Hill Centre would be nice.

I've actually always hoped they'd change Islington to "Etobicoke Centre."

I agree though, I also hate cumbersome, double names. Calgary has a bunch on its C-Train line like "Victoria Park/Stampede," "Somerset/Bridlewood," and "SAIT/ACAD/Jubilee."

A single name for each station would be nice, though some of the GO stations are so far from the subway stations they really are two separate entities.

Last edited:
"Etobicoke Centre" would be ambiguous. Isn't the whole area between Islington and Kipling part of "Etobicoke Centre"? Islington is far more obvious.

"Richmond Hill Centre" and "Langstaff" should just be called "Highway 7/Yonge" or something like that. It's just big box stores anyway and remain so until the subway is built (in 2030?) It would be too easy to confuse with the real downtown Richmond Hill which is just north of Major Mackenzie.

"Dundas West" and "Bloor" could be renamed "Roncesvalles" because that's only a short distance away. Not sure what "Main Street" and "Danforth" should be renamed to, probably best to rename the name of the street to something else because it really isn't a very main street. "Oriole" and "Leslie" could become "Leslie-Sheppard" or "Sheppard-Leslie".

Back