News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.2K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 570     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Very nice. I might add "connections" bubbles at stops where there are connections between lines (i.e. Union, Shepard-Yonge, etc), and a "long connection bubble" between Bloor and Dundas West (as they do between Spadina and Bathurst).

I like the mock-up you did of the map on the future subway trains. :)

Greg

Thanks, although I'm starting a map trend to eliminate the connection bubbles, it's sort of redundant, and makes the map look messy and it's sort of common sense that they are already transfer stations.

I really like it aside from the fact that North isn't facing up. I think that's the first rule of cartography/mapmaking. I realize it's a schematic map, but north should always be up. I think the hollowed out GO lines look very good, and I think the way you handled the transfers is fine, but could be confusing for people who don't know.

yllianos: That's a great map! Even with North on one side, it's really clear and uncluttered and it looks slick too. I'd add the lake as a blue area on the right side, just for some perspective :D

Really good map. If I had a suggestion it would be to angle lakeshore east to the left so that Danforth is at least close to Main St., then take it straight up from there.

@GregWTravels and @Second_in_pie

TTC_v8h.png

What ??? no airport connection ??? ,but great work on making this map

Here are my two cross-town GO lines.

line1.jpg

If these lines were to be made I think they would be hugely important simply because they cut through a more suburban area of the city perfectly. This would allow many people living in the GTA outside Toronto to travel around the city quickly by means of public transport. These lines would turn public transit in Toronto into a real alternative option, rather than just a way to travel short distances or to go down town. Problem is of course that it would have to be an all day service and not give much revenue. But as a result it would really push people toward the reliance of public transit rather than cars.

The red line stops:
-All existing stops between Waterloo/Kitchner and Brampton(not including Bramela)
-(turning north-east)Goreway Dr
-Kipling
-Jane(next to TTC subway station)
-Bathurst
-Bayview
-Kennedy Rd (below intersecting Unionville stop)
-9th Line (intersection with a possible future GO stop)
-Intersection with the blue line (+ a bus service to Toronto Zoo)
-Altona Rd
-All existing stations down to Oshawa, but make it a separato Oshawa station that's closer to the centre and the suburbs

The blue line - This line is built mostly on non-existent rail track that would be built on the hydro corridor located where I marked the line. Starts at an existing station on the lake shore west line, and separates north into and existing rail line before Burlington, and then separates from that into the hydro corridor.
-Existing Hamilton and Aldershot stops
-Guleph Line (existing track)
-Upper Middle Rd
-Erin Mills Pkwy (in hydro corridor)
-Hurontario St
-Dixie Rd
-Eglinton Ave (with bus service to Pearson)
-Etobicoke North(AKA Kipling)
-Keele(AKA York U)
-Yonge(underground station Woot!)
-Don Mills
-Old Cummer
-Warden Ave
-McCowan Rd
-red line intersection(merge into existing track and follow it)
-Whites Rd
-Tauton Rd (2nd pass, where the track makes a weird turn)
-Brock St
-Simcoe St

Would really like to know your thoughts :)

I think having two Go routes within such close proximity to eachother is a bit redundant, especially considering you are proposing building an entirely new rail corridor. Keep in mind that the 407 transitway is also nearby. It's more valuable to have frequent service along one line than less frequent service spread out accross many lines.

That's true, I just put them both in because each seems like a viable option to me. If I were to choose one of them to actually be built, I would go with the red one.

@GregWTravels and @Second_in_pie

Any better? Is this a bit clearer?
A more in-depth legend will come later.

Absolutely beautiful map. Small correction: the F line isn't quite right. It ought to curve towards Yonge, placing:

- Oriole at (south of) Leslie subway station;
- Old Cummer at the place where perpendiculars from Finch and Leslie intersect;
- Langstaff in line with Finch on the Yonge axis and between York and Rutherford on the E-line access;
- RH at the place where perpendiculars from Yonge and the E-line's Maple intersect.

Thanks, although I'm starting a map trend to eliminate the connection bubbles, it's sort of redundant, and makes the map look messy and it's sort of common sense that they are already transfer stations.

My suggestion is that these connection bubbles would be useful simply because in Toronto, sadly, common sense isn't always operative. The Oriole/Leslie stops, for instance, wouldn't get a connection bubble...

Last edited:
Interestingly, a combination of the Red and Blue routes is pretty much the exact route proposed in the GO ALRT project in the 80's. It'd divert from the Lakeshore line in Oakville, then run over to the 403 to MCC, then up to Pearson, and up the Hydro Corridor to Finch. At the time, they thought they'd bring the ALRT down from York U to Sheppard and across to STC, but now they could just run it to Malvern and down to Pickering, where it was originally supposed to terminate.

yllianos: That's a great map! Even with North on one side, it's really clear and uncluttered and it looks slick too. I'd add the lake as a blue area on the right side, just for some perspective :D

I'll try putting in the lake, and see how that fares. I might also experiment with putting in other bodies of water just for some more perspective. I know other maps usually do that too.

Absolutely beautiful map. Small correction: the F line isn't quite right. It ought to curve towards Yonge, placing:

- Oriole at (south of) Leslie subway station;
- Old Cummer at the place where perpendiculars from Finch and Leslie intersect;
- Langstaff in line with Finch on the Yonge axis and between York and Rutherford on the E-line access;
- RH at the place where perpendiculars from Yonge and the E-line's Maple intersect.

My suggestion is that these connection bubbles would be useful simply because in Toronto, sadly, common sense isn't always operative. The Oriole/Leslie stops, for instance, wouldn't get a connection bubble...

The map is not really for accuracy but for visual clarity. The problem with Old Cummer being not in line with Finch was lack of space due to Don Mill's name being in the way. If you'll notice Sherbourne is ways away from Yonge despite it being like a minute away (versus the distance between Lawrence and Eglinton which are like 3 minutes away)

I'll take on a different method for transfers since you're right that common sense is always there; something that doesn't draw the eyes attention away.

The map is not really for accuracy but for visual clarity. The problem with Old Cummer being not in line with Finch was lack of space due to Don Mill's name being in the way. If you'll notice Sherbourne is ways away from Yonge despite it being like a minute away (versus the distance between Lawrence and Eglinton which are like 3 minutes away)

Hey, it's your map! But, visually, it suggests that you couldn't transfer from Leslie to Oriole or vice versa, even if the transfer were finally built; that Old Cummer is way north of the TTC boundaries, when in fact there ought to be a transfer to the Finch LRT once built; and that Langstaff is way east and north, when in fact the Yonge line may extend 6 clicks north from Finch to hit it some day. Those suggestions, I would have thought, confuse things quite a bit.

(Besides, Don Mills' name is only in the way because the line is too far east at that point -- it's really Leslie's name that ought to be in the way. ;-) )

Here are my two cross-town GO lines.

The blue line - This line is built mostly on non-existent rail track that would be built on the hydro corridor located where I marked the line. Starts at an existing station on the lake shore west line, and separates north into and existing rail line before Burlington, and then separates from that into the hydro corridor.
-Existing Hamilton and Aldershot stops
-Guleph Line (existing track)
-Upper Middle Rd
-Erin Mills Pkwy (in hydro corridor)
-Hurontario St
-Dixie Rd
-Eglinton Ave (with bus service to Pearson)
-Etobicoke North(AKA Kipling)
-Keele(AKA York U)
-Yonge(underground station Woot!)
-Don Mills
-Old Cummer
-Warden Ave
-McCowan Rd
-red line intersection(merge into existing track and follow it)
-Whites Rd
-Tauton Rd (2nd pass, where the track makes a weird turn)
-Brock St
-Simcoe St

Would really like to know your thoughts :)

Your blue line ought to be Bus Rapid Transit service instead of using rails. I'd also include several more stops through the 416. The Finch Hydro Corridor has the potential to be the Bloor-Danforth of the north, with commuters using it same as they would the subway. You need to include some local/long-hauler branches and interlining of routes such that the main busway can seamlessly interconnect downtown Oakville - Oakville GO - Sheridan College - uptown Oakville - Winston Churchill - South Commons - UTM - MCC - Etobicoke Civic Ctr - Sherway Gdns (subway) - Dixon/27 (transfer to the airport) - Etobiocke North GO - Rexdale - Emery GO - Jane/Finch - York U - Finch West subway - Branson Hosp - NYCC - Bayview Mall - Old Cummer GO - Don Mills - Seneca College - Vic Park - Bridletowne - Woodside - Sheppard East - SCC - Centennial College - Malvern T.C. - Morningside Hts - Zoo. Just think the number of transfers/hours such a journey would require today and how much better transit could be if all those nodes were connected by the one bus service?

Your blue line ought to be Bus Rapid Transit service instead of using rails. I'd also include several more stops through the 416. The Finch Hydro Corridor has the potential to be the Bloor-Danforth of the north, with commuters using it same as they would the subway. You need to include some local/long-hauler branches and interlining of routes such that the main busway can seamlessly interconnect downtown Oakville - Oakville GO - Sheridan College - uptown Oakville - Winston Churchill - South Commons - UTM - MCC - Etobicoke Civic Ctr - Sherway Gdns (subway) - Dixon/27 (transfer to the airport) - Etobiocke North GO - Rexdale - Emery GO - Jane/Finch - York U - Finch West subway - Branson Hosp - NYCC - Bayview Mall - Old Cummer GO - Don Mills - Seneca College - Vic Park - Bridletowne - Woodside - Sheppard East - SCC - Centennial College - Malvern T.C. - Morningside Hts - Zoo. Just think the number of transfers/hours such a journey would require today and how much better transit could be if all those nodes were connected by the one bus service?
That is a very good point. I tried pretty hard to make as many transit connections as possible, but a BRT would probably be more effective there.

Back