News   Jul 17, 2024
 356     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 848     2 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 647     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Well the line is (supposedly) being built to subway standard for the tunneled portion, so it's at least future-proof. But the one good thing is that it brings rail to the airport. We'd have to spend a great deal more to get subway to the airport versus LRT. When ridership demands (or if Eglinton turns out to be a big mess), then we can convert the tunnel to subway relatively easily since it was designed for it. Of course we'd be left with a Eglinton West LRT stub and a Eglinton East LRT stub, but those could be replaced with subway in phases.

I say we ask for Eglinton from end-to-end. We can compromise later. Let's not forget our principles....less transfers along a corridor being one of them.

I say we ask for Eglinton from end-to-end. We can compromise later. Let's not forget our principles....less transfers along a corridor being one of them.

Compromising is one thing, but asking for an Eglinton Subway from Pearson to Kennedy is just super expensive. That's like building another Bloor-Danforth line in a single shot. Has a subway line that long EVER been built like that in one stage?

Let's be realistic. I'm not even convinced a subway is necessary along that entire stretch. At least a subway along the central portion would be able to prove itself right away and then we can think about expanding it after that in both directions.

On the flip side, I would say LRT on the DRL would be totally unacceptable (thought its been floated on this board before).

Compromising is one thing, but asking for an Eglinton Subway from Pearson to Kennedy is just super expensive. That's like building another Bloor-Danforth line in a single shot. Has a subway line that long EVER been built like that in one stage?

Let's be realistic. I'm not even convinced a subway is necessary along that entire stretch. At least a subway along the central portion would be able to prove itself right away and then we can think about expanding it after that in both directions.

On the flip side, I would say LRT on the DRL would be totally unacceptable (thought its been floated on this board before).

Fine. But the airport has to be on there!

Airport has to be on the Eglinton line.

Well if Eglinton is built as LRT then it will be going to the Airport. If Eglinton is subway, there's no way the subway will reach the airport any time soon. If the airport is THAT big a concern for you, then you have to support LRT along the length of Eglinton, rather than subway along the tunnelled portion. Although I'd be fine with either, really.

I think that it'd show much greater benefits to start Eglinton as the Jane-Don Mills subway. Between about Jane and Don Mills is where the big bottleneck on Eglinton is in terms of transit, and I think it's logical to start there. I've seen the lineups of busses that feed into Eglinton and Eglinton West, jamming the road even when it's not rush hour. This is the part that actually needs the subway, and the Jane-Don Mills subway would get finished no later than the current LRT (if it does it will be by two or three months at the most.)

From there, they could easily start work on the western extension even before the first part's complete. If they do the project with the slightest bit of intelligence, the entire Jane-Airport segment could get built in 3, 5 years tops. Because it wouldn't require constant tunnel boring, they could do the 427-Dixon Road, Richview and Jane-Richview segments all at once, speeding things up considerably.

I'd say after the subway goes from Don Mills-Pearson, a in depth study should be done for the Eastern segment; whether the subway should extend to Kennedy or Kingston Road, whether BRT would suffice, or whether construction should start at a later date.

So what exactly did we disagree on EnviroTO? Since your map looks so much like ours.

Transit City delivers needed transit reliability and volume in the next 5-10 years. The "dream" subway system probably wouldn't be done in my lifetime. Transit City will allow areas ripe for regeneration to start building medium to high densities now. A subway plan being built decades from now will have those regeneration areas built as townhomes making a subway pointless. I see LRT as a density enabler and subway as the final solution.

Last edited:
I'd say after the subway goes from Don Mills-Pearson, a in depth study should be done for the Eastern segment; whether the subway should extend to Kennedy or Kingston Road, whether BRT would suffice, or whether construction should start at a later date.

Agreed. Though I'd add that if it's going to Kennedy, it makes no sense not to go to Kingston.

Transit City delivers needed transit reliability and volume in the next 5-10 years. The "dream" subway system probably wouldn't be done in my lifetime. Transit City will allow areas ripe for regeneration to start building medium to high densities now. A subway plan being built decades from now will have those regeneration areas built as townhomes making a subway pointless. I see LRT as a density enabler and subway as the final solution.

Given the TTC's track record your "dream" subway would be done within your grandchildren's lifetime. I just hope that they don't screw up the DRL and Eglinton with dumb ideas. LRT has no place along either stretch unless they entirely grade-separated with fare gates.

Interlining the DRL with Eglinton when they hit each other would be ideal, especially if they plan to run half the trains at that point for each line that far out.

^ See my map just a couple's pages back. It really does make a lot of sense to route the two lines in a continuous loop (Airport > Mt Dennis > OSC > downtown core > Mt Dennis > Airport) or vice versa via three-tracking at Mt Dennis Stn.

I might do a London Overground inspired fantasy map.

The Scarborough RT can be like the East London Line and have it extended to reach downtown, and with longer and bigger trains.

The Kennedy transfer would still be there but a lot less people would be transferring since the new line goes downtown anyway and this would also relieve the BD line a bit as well.

Back