News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 773     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

If they are putting a stop in at Danforth/Birchmount that is great assuming they stop the madness of using a massive industrial site in the heart of the city as a one storey data centre. I'm not sure if people are aware but the internet can be anywhere :) .

You_Doodle+_2023-10-29T19_01_43Z.jpeg

How’d they do it? As in, how’d they negotiate it with CP and why haven’t they tried/succeeded to since?
Relatedly, anyone know what Verster was talking about when he mentioned that the Missing Link isn't necessary as they've been (paraphrasing but close) "financially astute" in negotiations with CP? This was in an interview on the RMTransit Youtube channel more than two years ago, with no follow up (I think?). Maybe just a vague dodge meaning "we just won't run a lot of trains on Milton"?

I think there’s just a general disinterest from both CP and Metrolinx for that right now, especially considering Metrolinx isn’t even using all their track slots on the Milton line, since they’re only running 16 trips instead of 20.

I think there’s just a general disinterest from both CP and Metrolinx for that right now, especially considering Metrolinx isn’t even using all their track slots on the Milton line, since they’re only running 16 trips instead of 20.
Why haven't they been using all slots? Is there not enough demand?

Why haven't they been using all slots? Is there not enough demand?
Probably not at peak. Most GO Ridership post-covid is growing off-peak, which Milton cannot serve at all. So it does make sense that if peak trips are still generally down, a peak-only line doesn't need every trip slot.

This might’ve been “too little, too late” to get bi-directional commuting into Hamilton. By this time jobs were evaporating and the city began losing Burlington to the GTA, and with the state of service to Hamilton Centre to this day… yeah. But if it had came 20 years earlier, or continued via one of the now-gone CP/CN lines, it’s possible it would still be with us today. Alas.

Nowadays it’s worth asking the question again as employment picks up once more. You’d definetely need to use West Harbour alongside a more distinct service pattern though. Grimsby-Burlington or Brantford might have potential. DMU would be ideal, especially if going further into Niagara as trip patterns are less centralized on Hamilton but, I’m getting ahead of myself.

This might’ve been “too little, too late” to get bi-directional commuting into Hamilton. By this time jobs were evaporating and the city began losing Burlington to the GTA, and with the state of service to Hamilton Centre to this day… yeah. But if it had came 20 years earlier, or continued via one of the now-gone CP/CN lines, it’s possible it would still be with us today. Alas.

Nowadays it’s worth asking the question again as employment picks up once more. You’d definetely need to use West Harbour alongside a more distinct service pattern though. Grimsby-Burlington or Brantford might have potential. DMU would be ideal, especially if going further into Niagara as trip patterns are less centralized on Hamilton but, I’m getting ahead of myself.
That Hamilton service ran on weekends only so it definitely wasn’t geared for commuters

Back