News   Jun 07, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 3K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.3K     3 

Transit Fantasy Maps

It is pretty disheartening to see that in Toronto's wildest transit dreams we have only 7 subway lines
Move to New York. This is the wrong city for subway lovers.

I with majority of downtown still not witin walking distance to any subway stops

Considering that 15 years from now the Relief Line will only move 14.5k pphpd, that's not a surprise. Any more latitudinal downtown routes would probably be competing with Sheppard for the title of most useless hole in the ground.

Last edited:
Considering that 15 years from now the Relief Line will only move 14.5k pphpd, that's not a surprise. Any more latitudinal downtown routes would probably be competing with Sheppard for the title of most useless hole in the ground.

I agree; can't see having any additional east-west subway lines except the relief line. I even wonder if having the teal Scarborough-Pearson RER mirror the red relief line is is overkill.

I decided to get rid of the strict 45 degree restriction, but am still using the underlying grid as a guide. The rail lines, particularly in the west end look much better as it allows distance between stations and intersections with the rail lines to be generally in the correct places. It also removes that excessive-looking dip at the portlands when resticted to 45 degress.

Looks good! If I may make one suggestion: I would put a fade on the local routes, so that they're not as prominent as the RT routes. I know they're a thinner weight already, but so many of them in such a tight spot gives them a lot of visual prominence when looking at downtown, especially because of the blue colour of the express subway. A 30% or 40% fade on those local lines would help put the RT lines at the top of the visual hierarchy, where they should be. They should still be visible enough that they're legible though, that's for sure.

Finishing touches on a DRL station at Adelaide and Bay.

newyorkintoronto_4.jpg.

And maybe this is still the case but student fares are only valid when school is open. Any other time they have to pay adult fares.

And maybe this is still the case but student fares are only valid when school is open. Any other time they have to pay adult fares.

Also transfers are good for 2 hours. Timed fares are great for multiple short trips but some subway rides (without a transfer) can take up to 1 hour 50 minutes. Add in a bus to get to the station and it's pretty easy to have cross-city trips which require paying a double-fare; in effect it's got a fare zone system of either $2.50 or $5.

Toronto also has a fare-zone system (going between agencies) but New York's can much more surprising as to when it occurs.

Last edited:
TTC should either have fare zones, or a distance-based fare system on subways. For example, start with $1.5 for under 3km, then progressively higher at certain intervals (ie. each 2 km).

I don't buy this "but a distanced based system will punish the poor" kind of argument. Do poorer people live farther? There are rich people in Yorkville as well as Richmond Hill. There are low income people living in Moss Park as well as Jane and Finch. You ask people to pay their fair share based on usage and then give tax breaks to transit users who are low income. There are many who live downtown because they make more money, and also those who live in the social housing. There are poor people who live in the far suburbs because rents are lower, but at the same time also well off people who choose to live away from the city to have much larger mansions.

It makes no sense to say "Let's adopt a single fare system so that it is affordable for long commuters to take the transit. It doesn't achieve the goal. Poor students have to walk 30 minutes to go to UofT just to save $3 in the cold winter all the time because a ride of 4 stops is simply too expensive. They are being punished as well.

Buses can adopt distance based fare too (other cities do that ) if we want to but in the end it is probably not necessary.

Last edited:

Back