News   Jul 12, 2024
 954     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 834     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 339     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

it's too bad they didn't announce any plans to connect the sheppard subway west to the spadina line.

I'd still wait to see what they are going to do with the Finch West LRT - just in case.
I'm thinking more importantly is just the Don Mills LRT. The Finch east section is basically an early part of Don Mills, so I think figuring out how that transfer will work is basically going to solve your problem. Hopefully it will be convenient like the Sheppard East sounds like it will be.

There is a desire for a one seat ride between the Finch West and Sheppard East lines. Since Metrolinx is paying for the line they will get final say on the interlining issue. If they still want a one-seat ride then the final alignment into Don Mills station will have to change.

You're correct in noting that putting the LRT on the same level as the subway means that Sheppard wouldn't interline with Don Mills/Finch. While putting LRT on the subway level avoids climbing a few stairs, I don't think it really reduces the time or distance of the transfer; the mezzanine option actually looked faster to me. I wonder if they decided that too many trains on the mezzanine level would play havoc with the entrances?

The transfer that matters far, far more than interlining Don Mills and Sheppard is on Finch East from the LRT to the bus (which is still incredibly busy east of Don Mills), but the city's desire for a Sheppard subway bypass costing as much as a subway extension will take what is arguably the TTC's only functional and reliable major arterial bus route and throw it under the bus.

The transfer that matters far, far more than interlining Don Mills and Sheppard is on Finch East from the LRT to the bus (which is still incredibly busy east of Don Mills), but the city's desire for a Sheppard subway bypass costing as much as a subway extension will take what is arguably the TTC's only functional and reliable major arterial bus route and throw it under the bus.
Will it - will the Finch East LRT to Don Mills just be a precursor to an extension further east?

Will it - will the Finch East LRT to Don Mills just be a precursor to an extension further east?

I would hope so,

But regarding it's connection to Don Mills station, I would rather have it built in a north south direction so it's platform can be used by the future Don Mills LRT rather than connected to the Sheppard LRT.

Finch East LRT makes a world of sense more than Sheppard East LRT since more trip generators line up with that corridor than the latter: Seneca College, Bridletowne, Woodside Square, Browne's Cormers, Morningside Hts and Malvern Town Ctr. Aside from Agincourt I can't say the same for Sheppard. I really wish someone in authority would push for a combined Finch/Sheppard LRT whereby the mid-section's along Sheppard but the outer portions (both west and east are along Finch). I'd even go for a Sheppard West LRT to make such a thing possible.

Changing transit on Finch East by adding well over a billion dollars worth of transit infrastructure is unnecessary. The bus works and can continue to work very well, particularly if simple Rocket service is added: spending all that money to replace it for the sake of replacing buses is incredibly silly when there's plenty of other places that do need something other than regular buses in mixed traffic. Forcing Finch East riders to transfer to a pointless LRT line for about 5km would be a fairly dramatic reduction in service quality, especially when you factor in the substantial reduction in frequency over this stretch. Even if they have dubiously thought-out plans about running LRT along Finch East at some point, how many years will the transfer stick around? Transfer City, indeed.

Finch East LRT makes a world of sense more than Sheppard East LRT since more trip generators line up with that corridor than the latter: Seneca College, Bridletowne, Woodside Square, Browne's Cormers, Morningside Hts and Malvern Town Ctr. Aside from Agincourt I can't say the same for Sheppard. I really wish someone in authority would push for a combined Finch/Sheppard LRT whereby the mid-section's along Sheppard but the outer portions (both west and east are along Finch). I'd even go for a Sheppard West LRT to make such a thing possible.

Browne's Cormers? You should really put down the MapArt book and go out and see the actual city you're pretending to be knowledgable about.

Changing transit on Finch East by adding well over a billion dollars worth of transit infrastructure is unnecessary. The bus works and can continue to work very well, particularly if simple Rocket service is added: spending all that money to replace it for the sake of replacing buses is incredibly silly when there's plenty of other places that do need something other than regular buses in mixed traffic. Forcing Finch East riders to transfer to a pointless LRT line for about 5km would be a fairly dramatic reduction in service quality, especially when you factor in the substantial reduction in frequency over this stretch. Even if they have dubiously thought-out plans about running LRT along Finch East at some point, how many years will the transfer stick around? Transfer City, indeed.
This is pretty much the only thing that I dislike about the Sheppard East-Finch West plan right now. The Finch East portion will probably do more harm that good. Don Mills LRT will eventually be there, but extending Finch West to Don Mills will totally kill Finch East, a bus route that's doing completely fine right now, and doesn't need any meddling with it.

Browne's Cormers? You should really put down the MapArt book and go out and see the actual city you're pretending to be knowledgable about.

No pretending. It's a major industrial employment centre, with populated residential zones to the immediate west and east (@Middlefield and @Tapscott). I've been through the area several times and during PM peak it's not uncommon to witness near-empty 39 buses heading westbound overcrowd at Markham-Finch. The implications for BRT straight up Main St Markham (Hwy 48) are obviously there as well, which would make this a significant transfer point.

You're not really grasping what a Finch East LRT could signify were it interlined directly through the Sheppard tunnel. It would look basically like this:

<------------------------------------------|space holder space holder space holder spa |------------------------------------------>
|_____________________________________|​

Service east of the DVP and west of Dufferin along Finch would be LRT. The 36/39 bus then becomes a single route in-between these two points. A parallel BRT service right along the Finch Hydro Corridor for most of Finch's length would satisfy those seeking a fast and reliable Finch crosstown service, and would directly link up to Old Cummer GO, Finch and Finch West subway stops en route. West of Senlac, I'd run the LRT line down the median of Sheppard West to Downsview, such that a viable link is formed in-between the two legs of the YUS line. East of Fairview, the line straddles the left side of the DVP on it's own guideway, serves Seneca underground then surfaces on Finch routing eastwards to Malvern TC. See, this is what could happen if people looked at the situation objectively.

39/139 sees well over 40,000 customers per day, that's nothing to sneeze at. If mere regular bus routes are netting nearly as many riders as the entire Sheppard Line than obviously Finch East is where the demand actually lies. And like Kettal said in the other thread, Agincourt already has it's own GO station which will soon see all-day bidirectional service. The 190 express bus along with frequent service along Kennedy and Midland south to nearby RT stations has this part of the city sitting pretty transit wise, compared to large swaths of Etobicoke, Scarborough and North York. Won't cost taxpayers' an arm and a leg either.

Back