News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

If you really want the Sheppard Subway extension, then you need to shut people up like Steve Munro at all of these TTC and community meetings. Right now, his voice is much stronger than most of yours and his messages are getting out to people.

He and I don't get along, but he has earned the respect he has - like it or not. Listening to him and learning why he has been so influential would be a much better idea than trying to "shut him up."

Tell that to the 'subway everywhere' crowd
Please, feel free to slap yourself across the face for that. If you mean to take credibility away from them by that, it's really kind of childish and ignorant. Well of course, unless it was to take your own credibility away :rolleyes:

The people that want Sheppard, Eglinton and DRL subways, and YUS and B-D extensions are not saying they want subway everywhere. They're saying they want subway where we need subway. Compare that to TC-supporters and Miller and Giambrone, who are totally opposed to subway expansion, and believe that LRT is the godsend miracle solution for good transit without spending money. The Subway construction supporters are totally ok with LRT where it's needed: the ones on this forum have shown their support for the Finch LRT numerous times.

Please, feel free to slap yourself across the face for that. If you mean to take credibility away from them by that, it's really kind of childish and ignorant. Well of course, unless it was to take your own credibility away :rolleyes:

The people that want Sheppard, Eglinton and DRL subways, and YUS and B-D extensions are not saying they want subway everywhere. They're saying they want subway where we need subway. Compare that to TC-supporters and Miller and Giambrone, who are totally opposed to subway expansion, and believe that LRT is the godsend miracle solution
for good transit without spending money. The Subway construction supporters are totally ok with LRT where it's needed: the ones on this forum have shown their support for the Finch LRT numerous times.

No need to cry Second_in_pie :p

Of course you and the 'saveoursubways' crowd want subways everywhere. The maps you put together clearly indicate that! TC hasn't been built and people are already bashing it! Leave all the TC plans alone and let's build! Who knows, TC might actually work!!

The people bitching about projects along streets such as Sheppard East don't even live near it or ride it every day like myself. I (and everyone up here in Northern Scarborough) want the Sheppard East LRT, look forward to having it built, and we will be very happy with the LRT for many years to come.

Last edited:
No need to cry Second_in_pie :p

Of course you and the 'saveoursubways' crowd want subways everywhere. The maps you put together clearly indicate that! TC hasn't been built and people are already bashing it! Leave all the TC plans alone and let's build! Who knows, TC might actually work!!

The people bitching about projects along streets such as Sheppard East don't even live near it or ride it every day like myself. I (and everyone up here in Northern Scarborough) want the Sheppard East LRT, look forward to having it built, and we will be very happy with the LRT for many years to come.

We much appreciate your efforts for interviewing every single person in Scarborough and are glad you can speak on behalf of all of them.

The people that want Sheppard, Eglinton and DRL subways, and YUS and B-D extensions are not saying they want subway everywhere. They're saying they want subway where we need subway. Compare that to TC-supporters and Miller and Giambrone, who are totally opposed to subway expansion, and believe that LRT is the godsend miracle solution for good transit without spending money. The Subway construction supporters are totally ok with LRT where it's needed: the ones on this forum have shown their support for the Finch LRT numerous times.

Why do you guys keep assuming Miller, and Co. hate subways? It's not remotely true. Do not be surprised when no one takes your seriously, especially when you slander the people you should be talking to.

Why do you guys keep assuming Miller, and Co. hate subways? It's not remotely true. Do not be surprised when no one takes your seriously, especially when you slander the people you should be talking to.
Ok then, what evidence is there in their decision and policy-making that shows that Miller and Co like subways?

Their support for the DLR plus yonge and spadina extentions.
Ok, I'll have to call complete BS on supporting the Yonge Extension. As for the Spadina extension, they were most certainly coaxed into it by York Region. Without York, the extension would certainly not have happened.

And it took Miller until the 2nd last year of his two terms to begin a study to see if the DRL is viable. We knew we needed the DRL since the 80's, and now when there was funding, there wasn't even a single mention of a DRL. Considering it's not even in MO2020 as part of a transit money wishlist, I hardly think that that's support.

And I remember somewhere here, someone described that Giambrone responded to someone that the DRL may very well be a surface LRT instead of someone. I hope he was stoned or something when he said that, because if the pretty DRL LRT gets built, I assure you that it'll be doing no DRing.

Wow Juan Lennon, you are one hell of an idiot.

I work closely on several projects with the City of Toronto and you should hear some of the names floating around the table about you people who are putting down Transit City. They think the Save Our Subways (SOS) group is a bunch of crap and have no intentions of reviewing their plan. I even heard word that Steve Munro told TTC (and maybe Metrolinx) to ignore them

Last edited:
The Sheppard East LRT is not going to be as bad as you make it out to be. It would be pretty good service to the point where talks about replacing it with a subway will decline.

Instead of moaning and groaning about the Sheppard East LRT, how about we all work together to make it the best LRT system! Besides, the LRT would be more accessible than a subway for seniors and the disabled

Last edited:
Ok, I'll have to call complete BS on supporting the Yonge Extension. As for the Spadina extension, they were most certainly coaxed into it by York Region. Without York, the extension would certainly not have happened.

And it took Miller until the 2nd last year of his two terms to begin a study to see if the DRL is viable. We knew we needed the DRL since the 80's, and now when there was funding, there wasn't even a single mention of a DRL. Considering it's not even in MO2020 as part of a transit money wishlist, I hardly think that that's support.

And I remember somewhere here, someone described that Giambrone responded to someone that the DRL may very well be a surface LRT instead of someone. I hope he was stoned or something when he said that, because if the pretty DRL LRT gets built, I assure you that it'll be doing no DRing.
Giambrone clearly doesn't support a Yonge extension (all you have to do is ask him), and I wouldn't be surprised if Giambrone's opposition and work behind the scenes (very likely in cooperation with Miller) is responsible for the almost eerie silence about Yonge in recent months. It's possible this project is dead.

As for Spadina, the Feds wouldn't sign off on their share unless it was extended into York region, probably because the Conservatives see a potential political benefit of a subway into York (i.e. more seats), but none if it stopped at Steeles. As a trade-off, the Conservatives funded part of Sheppard, which allows them to say they "proudly" support transit within Toronto at minimal cost since they believe picking up seats in Toronto is highly unlikely. Giambrone and Miller also benefited since funding was secured for Sheppard, the first true piece of their Transit City plan, and effectively killed any Sheppard subway extension eastwards for decades (maybe forever).

The province is funding 100% of the Eglinton and Finch LRTs, so any pride over transit within Toronto being hugely funded by Ottawa is misplaced.

As for whether Giambrone (or Miller) supports the DRL, we really don't know, and it's probably irrelevant since they'll both likely not be around when (or if) any final decision is made.

I work closely on several projects with the City of Toronto and you should hear some of the names floating around the table about you people who are putting down Transit City. They think the Save Our Subways (SOS) group is a bunch of crap and have no intentions of reviewing their plan. I even heard word that Steve Munro told TTC (and maybe Metrolinx) to ignore them
Wonderful, another "I know people but can't say who" deal. Very convenient.
The Sheppard East LRT is not going to be as bad as you make it out to be. It would be pretty good service to the point where talks about replacing it with a subway will decline.

Instead of moaning and groaning about the Sheppard East LRT, how about we all work together to make it the best LRT system! Besides, the LRT would be more accessible than a subway for seniors and the disabled
You're right, let's support the ZOO LRT. I hope it gets built directly into the zoo so it can double as a ZOOTRAM and then I can feed the giraffes and squirrels right from my seat.

A twisted but hilarious thing about the SELRT is that the Don Mills-Agincourt section certainly justifies subway. But go past Midland, and not even is an upgraded bus service warranted. This is the one route in the city that's so black and white like that, and they couldn't have missed the proper mode if they were trying.

Back