News   Jul 16, 2024
 132     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 887     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

I have written letters to every member of the board of directors of Metrolinx and half the TTC Commissioners (not going to waste my time on those that would disagree any way). I have written my MPP (who agreed with me) and I have met my MP on the issue (who I have had a few personal contacts with). The latter have told me that though they share my concerns there's not much the can do about it. The former set did not bother to reply at all. I think the only way to get attention for your transit advocacy in this city is to become a left leaning transit activist who supports something other than a bus in every ward.

You're right. I feel this is our ultimate last chance.

-North York and Scarborough councilors are waking up starting to demand better transit. (willowdale councilor)
If we can get those who want it to convince the other councilors from both areas, that would be an improvement.
We need them to do our job...Inform the population. They have the mean and budget to make it happen and send proper brochures and use the media.

-Miller and Giambrone are leaving 100% sure. The turning point will be to convince the canditates early on that Sheppard subway needs to happen. The last hope lies with the next mayor.

My opinion.

We all know that politicians have massive egos. Sheppard subway is LASTMAN'S legacy (well he tried)

Pushing Sheppard on the top of the list like Miller wanted while DRL was clearly more crucial and Eglinton Crosstown, only shows that he wants Sheppard Subway dead ASAP. He wants his legacy to prevail... SELRT.

Am I exagerating? Maybe, but politicians have done similar thing for far less than this. All about Ego.

Ansem,

I don't know if it's wise to compare to other cities necessarily other than to suggest that the Sheppard line would be successful by any definition other than the TTC.

Here's my letter to the Sun. It went unpublished. I suspect they didn't publish it because they had this piece in the pipeline:

Re: 'He put the city on right transit track' by John Lorinc

While Mayor David Miller should be given credit for bringing transit issues to the forefront locally and nationally, and for successfully convincing the Queen's Park and Ottawa to pitch in, his legacy should be recognized as one of squandered opportunities. The original 'Transit City' idea was pitched as $6 billion dollar plan that would blanket the city with light rail lines in lieu of apparently 'unaffordable' expansion of the existing subway network. Since then the costs for Transit City has skyrocketed. The costs for the first four lines is $10 billion. There are still three more lines to go. For the price tag of what's currently being spent, Toronto could have built 30-40 km of subway. Imagine what the final price of Transit City would have bought us.

Worse than being cost, is the real risk that Transit City could actually make total travel times longer for some riders. The TTC says that its buses average 17 km/h and its subways average 30 km/h. The Transit City lines, after spending billions for their right-of-ways will only average 23 km/h according to the TTC. While that may be a step up from a bus, the time savings could well be wiped out by the need to transfer to the subway to simply continue in the same corridor (as on Sheppard) or the longer wait times for service (as frequent buses are replaced with less frequent LRTs). Sheppard will see the worst of Transit City's traits. Just to continue on Sheppard will require two transfers and todays frequent local and express buses will be reduced to less frequent LRTs. Moreover, the capacity to change tracks in the future is being pre-empted by slating Sheppard East for construction first, a clear effort to preclude the completion of the Sheppard subway as planned to Scarborough Town Centre.

Even more disconcerting than the ballooning price tag or its ineffectual impact is the routes the money is being spent on. Instead of replacing heavily used bus routes with Light Rail Transit (LRT), under Mayor Miller's leadership areas of socio-economic need were prioritized to receive LRT lines. How LRT lines will cure the significant and complex socio-economic needs of the distressed neighbourhoods of this city is anyone's guess. But we can be certain, that it won't do much to improve transit for anybody.

It's unfortunate that Toronto City Councillors have largely been silent about the flaws of Transit City and its purported benefits. I sincerely hope that Toronto's next mayor will not throw good money after bad, and will take 'Transfer City' back to the drawing board to come up with a transit plan that truly seeks to serve Torontonians effectively and efficiently.

Well done.

-I'll take out the comparaison with Chicago L and had more of your arguments that I've missed.

Yeah, but that's not really part of Transit City. Though it does seem like the SRT will be replaced with LRT.

Are you Keith L on Steve Munro's site? He just responded to one of your comments with a pretty good cost breakdown of subway extensions versus TC.

Yep. And I don't buy his explanations. But I am not about to debate him on his site. We've been through this debate here before. Using the TTC's overbuilt stations, subways are indeed expensive. However, even using the Sorbara subway numbers, Transit City would have bought us at least 35-40km of subway. And that's taking into account today's projections for Transit City which seems to be increasing as we go along. Steve sidestepped that point by using the book numbers to say that TC will 12.65 billion. I wonder how sure he can be about that. Remember when TC was 6 billion when they first started out and Sheppard was something like 500 million? How in the world he thinks SM will stay at 1.4 billion (when they need a bridge), and WW at 1.2 billion (when they have some serious ROW space issues) and Don Mills at 1.5 billion (when they are targetting hooking up to the DRL) is beyond me. I personally believe that Transit city will come in at 15 billion when fully implemented, which, even at the ridiculous prices of the Richmond Hill extension (500 million per km? Really? ... likely cause of the Steeles bus terminal) would have allowed for at least 27 km of subways (or at Sorbara line standards for 50 km).

We have the funds here to finish Sheppard in the east and the west, build Eglinton as a subway end to end, finish the DRL and still build the rest of Transit City using bus lanes. The only reason, people believe otherwise is because Miller, Giambrone et al. keep saying subways are unaffordable. They are when you build underground bus terminals that could double as a NORAD bunker. But they don't like talking about that part....

Last edited:
Draft version of letter to councilors and future canditates V.2

I'm not an expert at it so please feel free to edit and comment until we agree on a final official version.

Of course, reference will be added in the final versions and appendix as well.

Sir,

This letter is to let you know how important we think that the Transit City project ‘’Sheppard East LRT’’ should be upgraded by including a subway extension east to Scarborough Town Center via Agincourt Go Station and west to Downsview Station via Bathurst.

The Sheppard subway, as originally proposed, would serve plenty of useful purposes. If it were to run from the Scarborough Centre to Downsview station, it would go a long way to easing those cross-town commutes which do not pass through downtown Toronto. There was a general consensus that a north rapid transit crosstown was needs in Toronto until Mayor David Miller introduced Transit City as an alternative.

The fact remains that ridership on the Sheppard subway is twice what it was when only buses operated along Sheppard Avenue, and some of the connecting bus services have received a considerable boost in ridership as a result of the new service. The 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket, a limited stop service between Don Mills station and the Scarborough Town Centre, carried twice as many riders as expected. The ridership on the subway line is growing, and will continue to grow as a number of high-rise projects along the line open.

In the Toronto sun article of September 7th, many citizens and businesses have voiced their concerns and opposition to the streetcar line fearing that traffic congestion and air pollution will worsen on Sheppard Avenue East and that local businesses will suffer. They are skeptical about the fact that drivers will abandon their cars for the streetcars that will be stopping at red lights.

The TTC says that its buses average 17 km/h and its subways average 30 km/h. The Transit City lines, after spending billions for their right-of-ways will only average 23 km/h according to the TTC. While that may be a step up from a bus, the time savings could well be wiped out by the need to transfer to the subway to simply continue in the same corridor (as on Sheppard) or the longer wait times for service (as frequent buses are replaced with less frequent LRTs).

Sheppard will see the worst of Transit City's traits. Just to continue on Sheppard will require two transfers and today’s frequent local and express buses will be reduced to less frequent LRT. Moreover, the capacity to change tracks in the future is being pre-empted by slating Sheppard East for construction first, a clear effort to preclude the completion of the Sheppard subway as planned to Scarborough Town Centre.

The LRT will not have a connection to Scarborough Town Centre and the Agincourt Go Station will not be connected to a rapid transit line making it less attractive for drivers from York region to use public transit.

We agree the best alternative to upgrade the Sheppard East LRT project is:

-Sheppard Subway east extension from Sheppard-Yonge to Scarborough Town Centre via Consumers, Victoria Park, Warden, Agincourt GO with minimal bus service on Sheppard Avenue East from Sheppard-Yonge to Agincourt.

-Sheppard East LRT from Agincourt GO to Meadowvale and the Toronto Zoo

-Sheppard Subway west extension from Sheppard-Yonge to Downsview Station via Bathurst.

We feel that this alternative will truly improve the service in both North York and Scarborough by connecting 3 transit hubs together (Scarborough Town Centre, North York Centre and Agincourt Go Station.

By having a true complete north rapid transit, it will further stimulate future business and residential development in the northern part of the city, which will make both North York and Scarborough grow faster and unite to important part of the city isolated by slow transit.

By also completing the line to Downsview Station, it will provide a better network connectivity and make it more efficient especially when students coming from Scarborough will have a faster access to York University when the Spadina line will be complete. Those working in the area of University Avenue won’t have to use the Yonge line since they will have to option alternative to continue to Downsview and use the Spadina line. This will convinced more drivers to leave their cars and use the Sheppard line.

Commuters using the GO Train would have a faster link to Scarborough Town Center and North York Civic Centre where thousands of jobs are located. By giving them a faster service, more drivers would be convince to leave their cars which would increase the ridership of both the Go and Sheppard line.

Also, despite being four kilometers away from the City of Markham, the presence of the Sheppard subway might convince some of their residents to use public transit to access the new Sheppard Stations instead of driving to downtown or North York Civic Centre.

We ask that you use all the means at your disposal to inform every citizens about the project.

We ask that you pubicly challenge this project with the support of as many citizens and businesses as possible along the corridor and beyond to put pressure on the current mayor, future candidates and Metrolinx to upgrade this project.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Us?

How's this for a connecting "circle" line?...

Everyone: After reading many posts here has anybody suggested a TTC Sheppard Subway extension E to the Scarborough Town Centre with a turn onto the existing SRT ROW west and south replacing that service directly connecting with the existing Bloor-Danforth Subway?

Ansem: I am very familiar with Chicago's CTA Rapid Transit-an uncle of mine worked there as a train operator for 28 years and one of my pet peeves is their re-naming the rail lines color names in the 90s. I want to add the names of these routes to make their routes and directions known:
Howard-Dan Ryan (North-South) - RED
O'Hare-Congress-Douglas (West-Northwest) - BLUE
Ravenswood (Northwest) - BROWN
Lake-Englewood-Jackson Park (West-South) - GREEN
Midway (Southwest) - ORANGE
Not mentioned are the Skokie Swift (Yellow) from Howard to Dempster/Skokie,The Evanston Express/Shuttle(Purple) running from Linden/Wilmette to Howard with the peak-period Express to the Loop and the recent years Pink Line running off the Douglas Branch to the loop L via a stretch of the Lake Street L.

For CTA info you can not get much better then www.chicago-l.org/
Long Island Mike

Last edited:
General question for the room: do we actually *know* that the TSP implementation will have vehicles sitting at red lights? We're being promised a TSP implementation but have little actual detail - at least that I've seen - on how it will operate other than what we can infer from the published average route speed compared to the current average speed.

It's funny; where was all of this community outrage when the City, TTC, and Metrolinx were all actively soliciting people's opinions?

Meanwhile, we have Stintz saying that Scarborough-Malvern should be a subway. Sigh. No wonder we are in this mess.

The EA says red lights will be an issue, which is one reason why stop spacing is not greater. I'd like to see what's planned for an intersection like Jane & Finch...keeping four directions of LRT running through green lights seems impossible, and probably is.

Re: outrage. Remember that almost nobody was aware of these plans when meetings and the like were being held (not that different or more public input would have been the slightest difference). Most people still have no idea what's going on, though some might become aware due to construction. Others may have heard about transit projects but were either unaware of details/realities or just assumed this was another plan that would go nowhere. I'd be very, very surprised if more than 20% of the city was currently aware of these projects with full knowledge of details and what's getting built...inflammatory newspaper articles will probably raise that % higher than anything else. Real people just aren't aware of these things and some still won't be aware of them until after they start running.

She was not actually quoted saying that in that article...she could have been referring to the "Scarborough" RT or the part of the "Scarborough"-Malvern LRT that is not on Morningside (and it is critical that whatever's on Eglinton runs east of Kennedy).

Yeah, but that's not really part of Transit City. Though it does seem like the SRT will be replaced with LRT.

I always thought the "Transfer City" mock-name was kind of lame considering the only unnecessary transfer they're adding is the one between the Sheppard LRT and the Sheppard Subway. Am I missing something?

Are you Keith L on Steve Munro's site? He just responded to one of your comments with a pretty good cost breakdown of subway extensions versus TC.

Really, it is part of Transit City, being the only proposed rapid transit project retained by the plan and being featured right alongside the other lines.

There's other reasons it was called Transfer City, not just Sheppard and the RT - Finch ended at Yonge, Sheppard West had nothing, the Eglinton corridor was split at Kennedy (how much through-service will there be?), Morningside originally had a stub north of Sheppard. The plan, amazingly, did absolutely nothing to decrease transfers for those getting around North York and Scarborough. There's also the very serious question of what happens to bus routes that overlap these lines, like along Sheppard or Eglinton...terminating the Pharmacy or Lawrence East bus at an LRT line = Transfer City. We'll see what happens to each route.

Keep in mind that Steve Munro's site is a pretty one-way conversation...he always gets the last word and can control what makes it to the page. No one is saying subways cost the same as LRT, but there's precious little discussion over why costs are what they are and what we're really paying for. Have the LRT lines had 26% contingency added? That's what was added to Spadina. Yonge is expensive in no small part to stuff like the ridiculously oversized Steeles station, which will cost over $300M and require tens of millions of dollars of property acquisitions to build a silly 3 access ramps. There isn't the slightest concern for containing costs - and this will surely impact the final pricetag of the LRT lines, especially if they have underground segments.

Also, no one ever really talks about places where LRT is overkill, in places like Sheppard & Morningside. Sure, LRT is cheaper than two subways to Sheppard & Morningside, but we'd never ever build subways there...is even LRT necessary when it'll likely never use more than 10% of the mode's capacity? At the same time that busier routes like Dufferin, Finch East, and Weston/Wilson get nothing? Cheaper than subway - but still a waste!

It's good to finally see some articles about people finding about this sneaky Miller Sheppard East LRT. The talk about there not being enough riders is a red herring, in light of numbers of similar systems (e.g. Chicago) and the fact that we already have a Sheppard Subway.

I personally think you should include the comparison with Chicago so your letter comes off more credible. Back up your ideas with as much facts as possible.

Last edited:
Draft letter V.3 to councilors and future mayor candidate

Of course, reference will be added in the final versions and appendix as well.

Sir,

This letter is to let you know how important we think that the Transit City project ‘’Sheppard East LRT’’ should be upgraded by including a subway extension east to Scarborough Town Center via Agincourt Go Station and west to Downsview Station via Bathurst.

The Sheppard subway, as originally proposed, would serve plenty of useful purposes. If it were to run from the Scarborough Centre to Downsview station, it would go a long way to easing those cross-town commutes which do not pass through downtown Toronto. There was a general consensus that a north rapid transit crosstown was needs in Toronto until Mayor David Miller introduced Transit City as an alternative.

The fact remains that ridership on the Sheppard subway is twice what it was when only buses operated along Sheppard Avenue, and some of the connecting bus services have received a considerable boost in ridership as a result of the new service. The 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket, a limited stop service between Don Mills station and the Scarborough Town Centre, carried twice as many riders as expected. The ridership on the subway line is growing, and will continue to grow as a number of high-rise projects along the line open.

When the Sheppard line is compare to Chicago’s ‘L’ lines, its performance exceeds 3 of Chicago’s subway lines that are much longer, have more stations and that goes downtown.

Red Line: 214,116 (34 Stations-37.7 Km going downtown)
Blue Line: 147,000 (33 Stations-55.7 Km going downtown)
Brown Line: 90,000 (28 Stations-18.3Km going Downtown)
Green Line 70,000 (29 Stations-33.5 Km going downtown)
Orange Line 59.000 (17 Stations-20.1 Km going downtown)

SHEPPARD SUBWAY: 45,860 (5 Stations-5.5Km not going downtown)

Pink Line 26,000 (22 Stations-18 Km going downtown)
Purple Line 31,000 (19 Stations-24 Km going downtown)
Yellow Line: 5,000 (2 Stations-8.2 km going downtown)

In the Toronto sun article of September 7th, many citizens and businesses have voiced their concerns and opposition to the streetcar line fearing that traffic congestion and air pollution will worsen on Sheppard Avenue East and that local businesses will suffer. They are skeptical about the fact that drivers will abandon their cars for the streetcars that will be stopping at red lights.

The TTC says that its buses average 17 km/h and its subways average 30 km/h. The Transit City lines, after spending billions for their right-of-ways will only average 23 km/h according to the TTC. While that may be a step up from a bus, the time savings could well be wiped out by the need to transfer to the subway to simply continue in the same corridor (as on Sheppard) or the longer wait times for service (as frequent buses are replaced with less frequent LRTs).

Sheppard will see the worst of Transit City's traits. Just to continue on Sheppard will require two transfers and today’s frequent local and express buses will be reduced to less frequent LRT. Moreover, the capacity to change tracks in the future is being pre-empted by slating Sheppard East for construction first, a clear effort to preclude the completion of the Sheppard subway as planned to Scarborough Town Centre.

The LRT will not have a connection to Scarborough Town Centre and the Agincourt Go Station will not be connected to a rapid transit line making it less attractive for drivers from York region to use public transit.

We agree the best alternative to upgrade the Sheppard East LRT project is:

-Sheppard Subway east extension from Sheppard-Yonge to Scarborough Town Centre via Consumers, Victoria Park, Warden, Agincourt GO with minimal bus service on Sheppard Avenue East from Sheppard-Yonge to Agincourt.

-Sheppard East LRT from Agincourt GO to Meadowvale and the Toronto Zoo

-Sheppard Subway west extension from Sheppard-Yonge to Downsview Station via Bathurst.

We feel that this alternative will truly improve the service in both North York and Scarborough by connecting 3 transit hubs together (Scarborough Town Centre, North York Centre and Agincourt Go Station.

By having a true complete north rapid transit, it will further stimulate future business and residential development in the northern part of the city, which will make both North York and Scarborough grow faster and unite to important part of the city isolated by slow transit.

By also completing the line to Downsview Station, it will provide a better network connectivity and make it more efficient especially when students coming from Scarborough will have a faster access to York University when the Spadina line will be complete. Those working in the area of University Avenue won’t have to use the Yonge line since they will have to option alternative to continue to Downsview and use the Spadina line. This will convinced more drivers to leave their cars and use the Sheppard line.

Commuters using the GO Train would have a faster link to Scarborough Town Center and North York Civic Centre where thousands of jobs are located. By giving them a faster service, more drivers would be convince to leave their cars which would increase the ridership of both the Go and Sheppard line.

Also, despite being four kilometers away from the City of Markham, the presence of the Sheppard subway might convince some of their residents to use public transit to access the new Sheppard Stations instead of driving to downtown or North York Civic Centre.

We ask that you use all the means at your disposal to inform every citizens about the project.

We ask that you pubicly challenge this project with the support of as many citizens and businesses as possible along the corridor and beyond to put pressure on the current mayor, future candidates and Metrolinx to upgrade this project.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Us?

Last edited:
The best strategy, I think is to get a bunch of folks together and everyone pitch in to take out an ad in the Toronto Star that criticizes Transit City. That'd probably be the only real way to start debate. If anyone is interested in doing that, I'd be more than willing to pitch in.

The best strategy, I think is to get a bunch of folks together and everyone pitch in to take out an ad in the Toronto Star that criticizes Transit City. That'd probably be the only real way to start debate. If anyone is interested in doing that, I'd be more than willing to pitch in.

I'd would do it. Maybe we should start with Sheppard. Criticizing the whole thing would be too easy for Miller and Giambrone to put us in the NYMBY category like they've been doing up until now. We should demolish Sheppard East LRT with our arguments and present our alternative. They won't be able to call us Nymby.

If they say it's a matter of money and ridership, we have the arguments to refute both. We'll expose and put the emphasis that they are building a billion dollar glorified streetcars (Toronto Sun's own words) leading to an area that doesnt warrant that type of technology...

They say sheppard East doesn't have enough ridership to have a subway but they are willing to put an LRT where the ridership doesn't justify it either...

Taxpayers hate waste of money

This in the paper would be priceless. Nice strategy! Shock and Awe...They would never see it coming.

Last edited:
I was thinking even better to have a writer for the star actually criticize Transit City. Pretty much all anyone's been doing is talking about how great these LRTs will be, with nothing else going on in the papers.

An advertisement would be a start though. It'd definitely be more tricky to do a transit city attack ad than a series reporting on the real goods and bads of transit city, so the people get a truly informed opinion of the project and can contact their local councillors themselves. And how much would such an advertisement cost? It must be a lot, seeing how well the Star is doing.

Unfortunately, every Star writer seems to have drunk the Kool Aid. And I think most are infected or shall I say paralyzed by the same fear that some on this board have. They are scared that any criticism of TC will lead to cancellation of the whole thing and nothing getting built. It's that whole "something is better than nothing" philosophy. After all, this is Toronto. Our mediocrity defines us.

I was thinking even better to have a writer for the star actually criticize Transit City. Pretty much all anyone's been doing is talking about how great these LRTs will be, with nothing else going on in the papers.

An advertisement would be a start though. It'd definitely be more tricky to do a transit city attack ad than a series reporting on the real goods and bads of transit city, so the people get a truly informed opinion of the project and can contact their local councillors themselves. And how much would such an advertisement cost? It must be a lot, seeing how well the Star is doing.

It seems that the journalist only have the cities side of Transit City. For them to write on our behalf, we'd have to fully educate them and give them numbers, comparaisons, do our homework so they would jump in.

It's like when I wrote on the Eglinton thread that it cost less millions/km to build the canda line than it will cost for the Eglinton Crosstown.

Canada line:45 Km/h
Eglinton: about 30 km/h underground and above is about 23km/h...

The Toronto Sun would be easier to convince but everyone reads the star.

Back