News   Jul 16, 2024
 253     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 482     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 602     2 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

i don't kno but to me i still think subways are better option than light rail. light rail shud be used more in the downtown area.

i don't kno but to me i still think subways are better option than light rail. light rail shud be used more in the downtown area.

There's no room in the downtown area for light rail. The only street that's wide enough for it is University Ave, and as much as I would love for there to be parallel light rail/subway service on University, it's unlikely to happen for a few decades.

NYC is currently building surface light rail parallel to an existing subway in Manhattan.

I'm from Mississauga and I think it's a good idea. Why shouldn't Toronto annex Mississauga?

Why on earth would we want to carry the dead weight of Mississauga on our shoulders? Developer payola has dried up, and now Mississauga has to pay the price for its decades of low density, pedestrian-unfriendly development under McCallion's mismanagement. It's bad enough that we have to carry Etobicoke and Scarborough along while they urbanize.

There's no room in the downtown area for light rail. The only street that's wide enough for it is University Ave, and as much as I would love for there to be parallel light rail/subway service on University, it's unlikely to happen for a few decades.

NYC is currently building surface light rail parallel to an existing subway in Manhattan.

the key factor is money, if the government has enough money they wouldn't have this problem. heck if they had enough cash they can even build that relief line everyone's been talking about. why are people "accidentally" being pushed onto the subway tracks? its cause of congestion, its not rocket science...

Why on earth would we want to carry the dead weight of Mississauga on our shoulders? Developer payola has dried up, and now Mississauga has to pay the price for its decades of low density, pedestrian-unfriendly development under McCallion's mismanagement. It's bad enough that we have to carry Etobicoke and Scarborough along while they urbanize.

Oh you're one of those.

I don't get up there too much anymore but yesterday I saW construction at Vic. Park and Sheppard. Is this part of the LRT prep work or is it just regular maintenance?

I don't get up there too much anymore but yesterday I saW construction at Vic. Park and Sheppard. Is this part of the LRT prep work or is it just regular maintenance?

i think its part of the LRT.

There are Sheppard East LRT project updates on the Toronto website. Three sections of roadway are underway (a) Agincourt GO grade separation, (b) Birchmount to Kennedy, and (c) McCowan to Markham Road.

There shouldn't be anything at Victoria Park and Sheppard relating to the LRT yet. The tunnel to Don Mills and the trackwork in that area aren't supposed to start until 2011 and run through to 2013.

Last edited:
I think the construction at VP and Sheppard is part of the watermain replacement underneath Vic Park between Sheppard and Finch

Project overview

4324825206_70821f36c5_o.jpg

Hah! I love slides 22-24 showing the transformation from the current state to what the city planners are aspiring for. All I can say is goodbye Chucky Cheese!

Hah! I love slides 22-24 showing the transformation from the current state to what the city planners are aspiring for. All I can say is goodbye Chucky Cheese!

aww i used to go there all the time when i was a kid...i hope they relocate it lol

Back