News   Jul 30, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 668     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

And how will you plan on going about stopping the madness? Also, what would you do if the City of Toronto changed its mind and started construction for the LRT in the central or western end?

so negative...

You do know it`s up to the new mayor at this point...

If Miller stayed or Giambrone had any kind of chance of being elected, I would be the first to admit defeat...

Smithersman already showed his pro-subway colors when talking about mississauga...

Its still far from being too late...

so negative...

You do know it`s up to the new mayor at this point...

If Miller stayed or Giambrone had any kind of chance of being elected, I would be the first to admit defeat...

Smithersman already showed his pro-subway colors when talking about mississauga...

Its still far from being too late...

You must be crazy to believe that a new mayor will swoop down and stop this project in a heartbeat. The new mayor will realize that many residents support the SELRT project and will allow it to continue :)

Just because Smitherman acts pro-subway today does not mean he will have the same feelings when he becomes mayor.

Last edited:
You must be crazy to believe that a new mayor will swoop down and stop this project in a heartbeat. The new mayor will realize that many residents support the SELRT project and will allow it to continue :)

Just because Smitherman acts pro-subway today does not mean he will have the same feelings when he becomes mayor.

many residents supports SELRT??????
a few hundreads????
Thousands against and the rest have no idea what it is....

Politicians are painfully predictable...

Lastman wanted a complete Sheppard subway. RTES stated that it was till needed and should be one of the priorities...

Here comes Miller, overwriting Lastman`s legacy with his own...Transit City...

You seriously expect the next one to follow Transit City to the letter and fulfill Miller`s vision when during the campaign (saves Giambrone) they will try their hardest to distance themselves from Miller and criticize everything he did?????

You will find very few politicians who will continue their predecessor`s Legacy unless they are part of the same political party which is not the case here...

SOS supports Sheppard as a complete line and we are aware that SELRT construction will have begun. We are perfectly fine with subway to Agincourt and LRT east of Agincourt. STC can be done or later...up to them...

If you think Transit City will be done ***exactly as Miller envisionned*** the crazy one is you...

many residents supports SELRT??????
a few hundreads????
Thousands against and the rest have no idea what it is....

Politicians are painfully predictable...

Lastman wanted a complete Sheppard subway. RTES stated that it was till needed and should be one of the priorities...

Here comes Miller, overwriting Lastman`s legacy with his own...Transit City...

You seriously expect the next one to follow Transit City to the letter and fulfill Miller`s vision when during the campaign (saves Giambrone) they will try their hardest to distance themselves from Miller and criticize everything he did?????

You will find very few politicians who will continue their predecessor`s Legacy unless they are part of the same political party which is not the case here...

SOS supports Sheppard as a complete line and we are aware that SELRT construction will have begun. We are perfectly fine with subway to Agincourt and LRT east of Agincourt. STC can be done or later...up to them...

If you think Transit City will be done ***exactly as Miller envisionned*** the crazy one is you...

You do not even live up here so how do you know what we residents think? I prefer to stick to those who have studied the line versus people like yourself who tells me stuff based on what you think or what you heard from non-credible sources.

You will be surprised as to the hundreds or thousands of people who support the SELRT. There are far more people than you think who know and welcome this projects but they are not very vocal about it. Again, you do not live up here, so what do you know!

I never said the next mayor will follow Miller's TC plan to the letter. All I am saying is the new Mayor could be sworn in and TC might not be their main focus at that specific time. Mind you, the 2011 City Budget would be #1 on the agenda and if the new Mayor is Smitherman, the #2 item on the list could be creating a more solid partnership with Daddy Dalton and uploading services. Therefore, with Smitherman as mayor, stopping the SELRT might be quite low on his list. Unless you have spoken to the candidates running for Mayor, you do not know what their priorities are and in what order.

When you are ready to stop this project, call me up because I would love to see you fail!

Last edited:
The Sheppard LRT will be in full construction by then, and the projected opening date is 2013. If you so called subway advocates think a mayor is going to stop construction of the line, then you're delusional. It's not going to happen.

And Mel had a legacy. A subway for North York, he got it. Makes you wonder why the line ended right at North York's border.

You do not even live up here so how do you know what we residents think?

I live on the Sheppard Corridor (Sheppard-Keele) but I use the Sheppard East every week for work and else...

Once again, the people bashing the SELRT don't even use the Sheppard East corridor every day!

How do you know that? Maybe not all of them but some of them for sure. I heard there was a resistance group on the corridor (read it in the Toronto Sun)

You will be surprised as to the hundreds or thousands of people who support the SELRT. There are far more people who know and welcome this projects than you think but they are not very vocal about it.

Imagine how many people against it not being vocal about it. The majority of Torontonians want subways. Most of them won`t leave their cars for a streetcar

Again, you do not live up here, so what do you know!

I use it every week for work. I work at Sheppard-Yonge and go to STC because of the federal government building we manage there. So I know what I`m talking about. I use the Sheppard West Corridor everyday.

So I know the Sheppard Corridor very well.

I never said the next mayor will follow Miller's TC plan to the letter. All I am saying this that they will leave the SELRT as is and focus on making adjustments to other lines (i.e. Eglinton Crosstown).

From Agincourt to Meadowvale, yeah....
Don Mills to Agincourt... that remains to be seen...

The new City Council will be sworn in Dec 2010 and then it is down to tackling the 2011 City Budget so any talk of stopping the SELRT won't happen until early 2011 and I think that is too late!

Really? If they started at Don Mills, you would be correct but they are starting east... by 2011 will they reach Agincourt? Remains to be seen....

The Sheppard LRT will be in full construction by then, and the projected opening date is 2013. If you so called subway advocates think a mayor is going to stop construction of the line, then you're delusional. It's not going to happen.

And Mel had a legacy. A subway for North York, he got it. Makes you wonder why the line ended right at North York's border.

lack of federal funds...maybe?
He wanted Downsview to Scarborough Centre...Read the RTES

juan lennon,

Don't assume you speak for all Malvernites and Agincourt residents.

I spent nearly a decade and a half in Malvern. Half my extended family lives here. And my father owns a business that's being impacted by the construction right now.

I assure you that not as many Malvernites support the LRT as you think. Especially when they are educated about the alternatives.

The most important transit project for Malvern is a link between STC and Malvern Town Centre. Sheppard East is not the priority by any stretch of the imagination (save in the minds of Giambrone and Miller).

juan lennon,

Don't assume you speak for all Malvernites and Agincourt residents.

I spent nearly a decade and a half in Malvern. Half my extended family lives here. And my father owns a business that's being impacted by the construction right now.

I assure you that not as many Malvernites support the LRT as you think. Especially when they are educated about the alternatives.

The most important transit project for Malvern is a link between STC and Malvern Town Centre. Sheppard East is not the priority by any stretch of the imagination (save in the minds of Giambrone and Miller).

Fair enough but unfortunately, SELRT will happen and no changes will be made.

Juan Lennon is either one of two things, he is opposed to SOS and thinks that it's a waste of time fighting against Transit City or he is like myself and frustrated at the glacial pace at which our activism is moving. It doesn't appear as though our movement has moved offline yet, not much further than this message board in fact. If we're not attending TTC meetings, picketing City Hall, arranging meet ad greets, placing ads in well distributed papers (Metronews, 24 Hours, Toronto Sun,Toronto Star), a mention on air or on a news website, Youtube presentations, etc, etc, etc... we are not, I'm afraid, making large enough a wave of momentum that can impact the decided upon course of action. Among us there are amateur admitedly but also professional urban planners, civic engineers, graphic designers and even those with insider knowledge of TTC operations. How then can it be taking so long to affect change? Has it not been 3 months now since SaveOurSubways was founded? When are the rallying and public demonstrations going to begin?

If Giambrone/Munro/Miller/Mihevic win, we only have ourselves to blame for not at least making a real-life effort.

Juan Lennon is either one of two things, he is opposed to SOS and thinks that it's a waste of time fighting against Transit City or he is like myself and frustrated at the glacial pace at which our activism is moving. It doesn't appear as though our movement has moved offline yet, not much further than this message board in fact. If we're not attending TTC meetings, picketing City Hall, arranging meet ad greets, placing ads in well distributed papers (Metronews, 24 Hours, Toronto Sun,Toronto Star), a mention on air or on a news website, Youtube presentations, etc, etc, etc... we are not, I'm afraid, making large enough a wave of momentum that can impact the decided upon course of action. Among us there are amateur admitedly but also professional urban planners, civic engineers, graphic designers and even those with insider knowledge of TTC operations. How then can it be taking so long to affect change? Has it not been 3 months now since SaveOurSubways was founded? When are the rallying and public demonstrations going to begin?

If Giambrone/Munro/Miller/Mihevic win, we only have ourselves to blame for not at least making a real-life effort.

Fresh Start is right on both parts and the second statement points out my feelings. I just find it so funny how people are against this project, yet wait until the last minute to form groups such as S.O.S. and come up with an alternative plan. Also, why does criticism for this project not go beyond this site? If you get SELRT canceled, then congrats on working your butt off to change minds and I would applaud your efforts. But very little is being done to do that.

Last edited:
If you are all so concerned about so little being done, then DO something.

I don't live in Scarborough, so I really don't give a flying squirrel what happens in the end, because I won't be riding it. And I don't think anyone who would have switche to an extended Sheppard Subway will switch for a new LRT that is as slow as this one will be.

If you are all so concerned about so little being done, then DO something.

I don't live in Scarborough, so I really don't give a flying squirrel what happens in the end, because I won't be riding it. And I don't think anyone who would have switche to an extended Sheppard Subway will switch for a new LRT that is as slow as this one will be.

I am getting an LRT along Sheppard so I am just going to sit back and watch construction :)

For those who badly want a Sheppard Subway extension, why not start up debates on Steve Munro's website and catch the eye of his followers (some of which work for the City of Toronto)? Maybe a debate on that site could lead somewhere

Last edited:

Back