393     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
That said, I don't think we should underestimate Hudak. We made that mistake with Harper. Remember when it was Martin/McGuinty/Miller? What if it became Harper/Hudak and some mustache-twirling Toronto mayor with a last name that starts with H. Who could it be?

Agreed re the folly of underestimating the ability of people to elect malevolent douchebags to office.

Originally Posted by Coruscanti Cognoscente
That said, I don't think we should underestimate Hudak. We made that mistake with Harper. Remember when it was Martin/McGuinty/Miller? What if it became Harper/Hudak and some mustache-twirling Toronto mayor with a last name that starts with H. Who could it be?

Who is this person whose name starts with H?

^ I was initially wondering as well, but finally decided that CC was just referring to the fact that the replacement of the Martin-McGuinty-Miller triumvirate could only alliteratively be completed with a Tory mayor whose last name begins with H.

^ I was initially wondering as well, but finally decided that CC was just referring to the fact that the replacement of the Martin-McGuinty-Miller triumvirate could only alliteratively be completed with a Tory mayor whose last name begins with H.

Doug Holyday for mayor then.

Doug Holyday for mayor then.

Oh sh!t, I didn't realize there actually was someone whose last name started with H! I guess Doug Holyday's election as mayor of Toronto would herald the apocalypse after all!

If the TTC is planning to run 1-car LRVs like shown in this picture then the line will not have enough capacity. 2500/hour maybe? The capacity of 1 LRV is not that much higher than an articulated bus, and putting articulated buses on Sheppard East does not cost a billion dollars.

If the TTC is planning to run 1-car LRVs like shown in this picture then the line will not have enough capacity. 2500/hour maybe? The capacity of 1 LRV is not that much higher than an articulated bus, and putting articulated buses on Sheppard East does not cost a billion dollars.

2-LRV trains on Sheppard.

You were waiting to post this. It's a prototype. The New LRTs look very different.

Which is it, the three car or five car version? This is the sort of detail that should be worked out before putting out the images. Is there an image that accurately shows the LRT we're getting?

Bombardier-streetcar.jpg

2012131-Eglinton-LRT-West-1.jpg

The Transit City light rail vehicles (not the streetcars) will be the Bombardier Freedom. They have about 30 different frontal configurations from which they would choose from. The base description from this link are:

The FLEXITY Freedom is the made-in-North America LRV of the future.

Whether as the mainstay of an urban transportation network, or complementing existing urban and suburban rail networks, FLEXITY Freedom offers sustainable mobility solutions to support Transit Oriented Development. The result: revitalization of urban areas, attraction of new business and transit users, and above all, improved quality of life.

Designed for passenger-friendly service

• 100% low-floor, entirely step-free interior
  • Extra-wide 2.65m (8’ 8½”) carbody
  • Two-by-two seating and maximized aisle width
  • Easy to configure interior layout

Designed for operational flexibility

• Adapted for urban and suburban rail networks
  • Variation of 3 and 5 module configurations
  • Trains can be either uni- or bi-directional
  • Can be coupled to form trains of up to 4 cars, yielding an overall capacity of more than 30,000 passengers per hour, per direction

Key features

• Optional 100% catenary-free operation
  • Energy efficient design and systems
  • Combination of 100% low-floor technology and conventional
  • axle wheel-set bogies for a significantly smoother ride
  • Modular design for easy access to components and systems

The 182+ Freedom models that Transit City will be getting will NOT be catenary-free, but will be bi-directional and initially coupled to allow 3-car trains.

The 195+ streetcars are also from Bombardier, but will be a custom model and not the Freedom model. They will be the same width as the CLRV's, cannot be coupled, and uni-directional to use loops.

Last edited:

Back