1.3K     3 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
It was a hyopthetical. That is what I think is needed or adequate to get Toronto moving. Based also off plast plans (Network 2011; Eglinton West, Sheppard, DRL) (RTES) (Transit City)

So I do have to explain everything out to you? Or do the one line posts with question you constantly like to do just make you warm and fuzzy inside?
You left out Finch West, which no one seriously proposed as subway, but I'd really like you to expand on that small project you called Renforth-Highway 2A.

While we're at it, how exactly does this affect you since you're from Oakville and/or Milton?

Last edited:
Accept a forced transfer at Kennedy Station and Don Mills Station????

The major complaint of people in Scarborough was the forced transfer. From STC to downtonw involved 2 transfers (Kennedy Station and Yonge). The Kennedy one was forced and the other was grudgingly accepted.

The switch from LRT to subway at Don Mills was one of the main complaints about Sheppard LRT.

Ford realized the frustration with these transfers and that is why he went with the ECLRT being continuous. If he could have found a way to eliminate all transfers (except of course bus to subway) he would have done it so that not just Central North Yorkers would have a continuous ride to downtown.

Yes. I was agreeing with him/her. The original TC plan left a forced transfer at Don Mills station, and Kennedy (plan did not address SRT at the time and still left at least one transfer for Scarberians heading downtown). However if someone were to mention a transfer elsewhere on the system they scream bloody murder.

He said TC is dead, not TC sucks

Thank you, it's nice to know someone actually read what I wrote.

I also have to say I'm flattered that my response is being predicted..........I knew you all cared but I had no idea how much until now.
Yes, I'm a monorail fan and I think it work wonders in Toronto but TC could have worked. The idea of TC was a good one but couldn't have been executed worse if it tried. Why?....
1} It was disjointed. Eglinton should have been one continuous route from Pearson to UT Scar but for some inexplicable reason you were going to have to transfer at Kennedy to travel in the same direction on the same street. STC should have been part of the Sheppard Line route. Imagine going from STC to Humber Jane/Finch. A relatively straight procedure................take the bus to Finch and head west. Unfortunately with TC it would be a nightmare STC to Sheppard travelling via SRT then transfer on LRT going back west to Don Mills then transferring onto the subway head in the same direction on the same street then transferring onto a bus on the same street heading in the same direction to Spadina then head north on the subway for just 2 stops and then head west on an LRT for 2 km. It would drive any sane person nuts and you would be going back and forth between vehicles like a chicken with it's head cut off and up and down stairs like a mountain goat. Also Jane should have been extended to the Waterfront line although I understand they now realize Jane is to thin for any LRT.
2} It did nothing for the downtown/inner city which also has the fastest growing population in the city.
3} It was going to be too damn slow. Real rapid transit doesn't stop every 300 meters which was the TC plan....................that's local service. Depending on the areas the stations should be about 1 per km. They should also have made use of many of the current rail & hydro corridors and built some under/pverpasses to eliminate stops.
TC could have worked well but they tried to please everyone and in the process no one got served well.
TC is dead and much of the credit for both it's rise and fall came be directed at Miller.

City council has not approved the changes to the Eglinton-SRT line yet, as set out in the MOU. The mayor has been stalling on bringing the matter before council.

You left out Finch West, which no one seriously proposed as subway, but I'd really like you to expand on that small project you called Renforth-Highway 2A.

While we're at it, how exactly does this affect you since you're from Oakville and/or Milton?
Sheppard-Finch West

On and Renforth-Highway 2A or the Eglinton Line? Airport to Scarborough East? Is that better for you? My idea is to cover the whole city. Do I think finch west deserves a subway? No. Do the people of Toronto clearly want subways? Yes.

On and I spend 6 hours each night in Oakville sleeping from Monday to Thursday. I go to the University of Toronto Downtown and stay every weekend . So how does this exactly affect you "while we're at it" ?

Last edited:
It's dead as long as Ford is mayor ...
If it's so dead, why has Ford delayed bringing it to council to kill for so long.

I'm not sure I believe that those campaigning for it, will stop council from killing it, but given it looks as though it's going to a vote in the next couple of months, and there is certainly quite a few councillors that oppose killing it, it seems premature to announce it's death yet.

It's dead as long as Ford is mayor and as long as there is no more money coming from Queen's Park & Ottawa than what's already on the table.

Who said anything about new money.

If it's so dead, why has Ford delayed bringing it to council to kill for so long.

I'm not sure I believe that those campaigning for it, will stop council from killing it, but given it looks as though it's going to a vote in the next couple of months, and there is certainly quite a few councillors that oppose killing it, it seems premature to announce it's death yet.

This will be ugly just like the waterfront. Ford will need a majority and right now I think TC is not exactly a priority.

What makes us think it's going to Council? Ford would have to get approval for anything happening on Sheppard, but that project is dead. For Eglinton, the money is all provincial so why would Ford have Council vote on it? The left faction could press for a vote but they need a supermajority for that, which seems unlikely.

What makes us think it's going to Council?
There's been a lot of indications recently. Ford's people have talked about taking the Sheppard subway extension to council early in the year. I thought Councillor Matlow's tweet was very explicit!

Ford would have to get approval for anything happening on Sheppard, but that project is dead.
I expect it will be dead ... and it's perhaps deader than Transit City ... but I wouldn't put the final nail in the coffin yet ... and even I wouldn't be surprised if there is an attempt to build only to Victoria Park. However, when it goes to council, it's quite possible that someone will add amendments that essentially kill the subway, and build the LRT instead. This seems to be what Matlow is hinting.

For Eglinton, the money is all provincial so why would Ford have Council vote on it?
Council would have to vote to accept any new EAs for an underground Eglinton. The MOU with the province is contingent on the city approving it.

The left faction could press for a vote but they need a supermajority for that, which seems unlikely.
It does. But they only need a simple majority to amend the February vote on the Sheppard subway to build LRT instead - which seems entirely possible given that centrist councillors like Matlow are talking it up.

Back